AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Men, I am starting from scratch on my first 5.1. I just got a projector giving me 110 inch screen and now am thirsting for some serious sound and have come to the experts for some....sound(get it?) advice! Oh the room is 15x13. I've been doing a lot of reading but have found one issue with the boards...Everyone on here seems to be rich! That's cool and hope to join you one day but I need to do this and still pay the rent next month! Anyway i've done way more research on this than I ever expected to but am still stuck on speakers. I want the surround for the theatre experience but also want to be able to jam tunes. This is an apartment. One thing I think I have down is buying this Yamaha RVX-V475 receiver which gives me 80 watts on 2 channels @8ohms...1st question, what does that do with 5 channels running?

The reviews on these Micca MB42x's has been crazy and for the price it's almost hard to believe. Before I found those I had my finger on the trigger for the Infinity Primus P143,53,63? Only thing I wasn't sure about was the speaker size to fit the receiver...i'm drawing the line on the receiver because these kind of things have a tendency to get away from me. I start looking around for a nice handgun and next thing I know i'm walking out of the store with a bazooka. Those Pioneer's also caught my eye after that Cnet review. The difference between the mb42's and the mb42x's was huge and that would only cost you 10 bucks a speaker. What i'm wondering is if it's worth it to go with the infinity's or the pioneers over the micca's? We're talking about a serious price difference here, about half for the micca's over infinity's.

Last question...if I go with the micca's what do I do about a center channel? I've heard that's most important but consistency is also relevant! 

One more...That Polk ps110 sub is so cheap I don't know if I can resist. Is there any value in this piece or am I only putting myself one step above a bose customer by going this route? 

Thanks

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
What is your max budget - regardless of cost, I would walk away from the Polk PSW10 sub.

·
The Village Idiot
9,687 Posts
I would opt for the Infinity Primus speakers. Get one of these --- two of http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=P163BK-Z&status= these - and a pair of these for the front L/R - and use the rest of your budget on a decent sub. The total for those 5 speakers is $419.65 and free shipping. That leaves you over $500 for a good sub. These are very good speakers for the money. I've heard the P162's - the prior model - very good for the price. They are easy to drive and should match up well with the Yamaha AVR.

And FWIW +1 on the advice for the Polk sub. Buy a good sub and you'll never know what you are missing - there won't be anything missing from such a setup.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
You could go with 3 pairs of Micca MB42x and a BIC PL-200 sub and have tremendous bang for the buck at $569. Bookshelf speakers work just as well as traditional center speakers and you get the benefit of all 5 speakers matching, with a spare speaker just in case.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Ok sweet, thank you. Yeah the reviews on those infinity's are top-notch. Your third link wasn't there though. What were the other two speakers? Also, any suggestions on a sub? I'm counting the yamaha into the budget so i'd like to keep the sub under 250.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

zeiglj01, that was EXACTLY what i'm looking for bro. Thanks! Everything looks perfect! The only thing i'm a little reticent about is the factory refurbished av. Is it taking a risk to buy that? 

·
The Village Idiot
9,687 Posts
Not much risk in buying refurbished. I bought that same Denon 1713 - should get it on the 5th. I've bought refurbished many times with few problems. It comes with one year warranty so you lose the second year. You can get an additional two years of warranty if you buy it at check-out time.

Many of the refurbished units are simply returns from customers that could not figure out how to use the item. Stores usually cannot just resell the item so it goes back to a collection point where the units are checked out for basic operations and either repaired or put up for sale as refurbished.

Reactions: wbl2012

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbl2012  /t/1503036/5-1-will-pay-for-good-advice#post_24020307

zeiglj01, that was EXACTLY what i'm looking for bro. Thanks! Everything looks perfect! The only thing i'm a little reticent about is the factory refurbished av. Is it taking a risk to buy that? 
There are always risks, even when you buy brand new - however, a lot of us buy from AC4L with

good success, they are a good company. Your call

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90  /t/1503036/5-1-will-pay-for-good-advice#post_24020345

Many of the refurbished units are simply returns from customers that could not figure out how to use the item. Stores usually cannot just resell the item so it goes back to a collection point where the units are checked out for basic operations and either repaired or put up for sale as refurbished.
+1

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Just to give you guys an update I just bought a Lava 12". Came across it on one of these boards and the reviews were pretty good. The thing that impressed me most was the owner of the company was on the board left and right helping people out. I thought that was cool. The whole thing also weighs like 53 lbs which I think is even cooler. 
 Anyway, that's the first thing I decided to go with just on impulse I guess but i'll definitely be getting those s30's now.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbl2012  /t/1503036/5-1-will-pay-for-good-advice#post_24033876

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-FS52-LR-Designed-standing-Loudspeaker/dp/B008NCD2S4

These are on sale through frys right now for half off. Should I just buy these for my fronts? They're so cheap and heard they got really good reviews. Is there a downside here?

Your call, they are nice for the price - however, I still prefer the Cambridge S30 over them, with better detail and definition.

A subwoofer will handle the lowest bass notes - however, the Cambridge does go down to 60 hz.

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
fwiw, I would also look at accessories4less for your avr needs (bought refurb. denon avr 791 about 3 years ago and never had any problems. and also a pair of kef q300's this past year, look and sound brand new, just a satisfied customer ) this will give you more money in your budget for whats important , the speakers especially your front lcr. would not be to worried about rears as a nice pair of budget bookshelves will do fine.in matter of fact I would put rest of budget into the lcr and run with 3.1 system until more funds become available for a pair of rear speakers this will give you better quality front. just an option and just my 2 cents

Reactions: wbl2012
1 - 18 of 18 Posts