AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, and thanks for the help ahead of time.

I've attached a picture of my current height set up. It's 5.2.2. As you can see, the height speakers are slightly ahead of the main viewing area. They are Polk RC80is.

I've ordered 2 Micca m-8c to go to 5.2.4.

Here's the thing, I've been scouring these types of posts in here, but can't figure out where the 4 heights should now be positioned. I've seen the dolby link that's thrown around here, but it's not precise at all. Seems generic.

What I can say is, I have room in the tile behind me for a pair, but as you can see in this picture, the tile forward is occupied by lights. I really don't want to move those as the lights are spaced evenly.

Any suggestions or more precise articles for my height placements?

Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
What's vague about it? There's a range of recommended mounting positions. https://www.dolby.com/siteassets/about/support/guide/setup-guides/5.1.4-overhead-speaker-placement/sell-sheet-5.1.4-mounted.pdf

If you go with the angle that puts the front Atmos speakers at the extreme limit of recommended angles (30°), it'd be forward 1.732X the distance from ear height to the ceiling. At the other extreme (55°), forward 0.700X that height. Is there a position in that range that suits?

With a 48" ear height and an 8' (96") ceiling, the extreme forward position would be about 83", just short of 7'. If your ceiling tiles are 2' square, you shouldn't need to go that far. The 45° multiplier is 1.00, 4' forward would be 2 tiles.

The recommend positions for the rear Atmos speakers are the same, but behind.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where are those numbers coming from? 1.732 and .700?

Is my phone not viewing the dolby graph properly? I see a list of angles, 1 page.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Where are those numbers coming from? 1.732 and .700?

Is my phone not viewing the dolby graph properly? I see a list of angles, 1 page.

Trigonometry: tangents.

If you don't like trig, you could use a protractor on a scale drawing. (Or, with more effort, in the actual space.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's vague about it? There's a range of recommended mounting positions. https://www.dolby.com/siteassets/about/support/guide/setup-guides/5.1.4-overhead-speaker-placement/sell-sheet-5.1.4-mounted.pdf

If you go with the angle that puts the front Atmos speakers at the extreme limit of recommended angles (30°), it'd be forward 1.732X the distance from ear height to the ceiling. At the other extreme (55°), forward 0.700X that height. Is there a position in that range that suits?

With a 48" ear height and an 8' (96") ceiling, the extreme forward position would be about 83", just short of 7'. If your ceiling tiles are 2' square, you shouldn't need to go that far. The 45° multiplier is 1.00, 4' forward would be 2 tiles.

The recommend positions for the rear Atmos speakers are the same, but behind.
So, bsck to this. Assuming my ear height and ceiling height are what you've estimated, 2 tiles forwarded and 2 tiles behind, with the tweeters aimed at the couch, it was I'm looking at?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
So, bsck to this. Assuming my ear height and ceiling height are what you've estimated, 2 tiles forwarded and 2 tiles behind, with the tweeters aimed at the couch, it was I'm looking at?

Sounds OK.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Sorry, Bob. Turns our my ceilings are 7'.

How much does that effect rye numbers?

Thank, I appreciate the help.

Trying to guess what the spellchecker rendered as "rye".

To get the midrange ±45°, put the speakers forward or back of the MLP by the height above ear level (3 feet here).

At the extreme (30° and 150°), 5.2 feet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trying to guess what the spellchecker rendered as "rye".

To get the midrange ±45°, put the speakers forward or back of the MLP by the height above ear level (3 feet here).

At the extreme (30° and 150°), 5.2 feet.
The word was "the", ha.

So, I'm confused. I now want my ceiling speakers further away by a foot, compared to your 1st measurements?

Or 5.2 feet from my ear, to the center of the speaker in the ceiling?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
The word was "the", ha.

So, I'm confused. I now want my ceiling speakers further away by a foot, compared to your 1st measurements?

Or 5.2 feet from my ear, to the center of the speaker in the ceiling?

If you want the speakers at the 45° and 135° angles, 3 feet. That's what I'd prefer.

30° or 150°, 5.2 feet. Those are the extreme angles of the Dolby recommendations.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you want the speakers at the 45° and 135° angles, 3 feet. That's what I'd prefer.

30° or 150°, 5.2 feet. Those are the extreme angles of the Dolby recommendations.
Ok, so is that 3 feet, a direct line from my ear to the speaker(as the crow flues), or 3 feet from directly above my head on the ceiling to the speaker which would be 1.5 tiles? (They are 2 foot tiles)

·
Registered
28,989 Posts
To find ceiling locations that are 45° and 135° elevation: measure from your ears to the ceiling, that same distance forward and rearward of you are the correct locations.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
To find ceiling locations that are 45° and 135° elevation: measure from your ears to the ceiling, that same distance forward and rearward of you are the correct locations.
Correct. This is simple, basic, mathematics. Think of a right isosceles triangle - the sides are both length "1" and the hypotenuse is the square root of two. It makes positioning speakers so much more easy if you can (remember) use tools like that...

Reactions: sdurani

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Ok, so is that 3 feet, a direct line from my ear to the speaker(as the crow flues), or 3 feet from directly above my head on the ceiling to the speaker which would be 1.5 tiles? (They are 2 foot tiles)

In the plane of the ceiling. 1.5 tiles for 3 feet.

The tangent of 45° is 1.00.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, thanks all.

My seam for the tiles is exactly 48" forward and back from my ears, so I'll have to opt for about 42" or 54".

Is one direction more preferable? Or are we down to aesthetics?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts