AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont have a optimized room layout. its an open concept and i dont have a back wall to attach rears.
I am doing all inwall speakers with a AT screen. I was planning on doing two inwall subwoofers on front sound stage as well.
is it better to modify a 7.2.4 with not ideal locations or just run a 5.2.4 with closer to ideal speaker locations?
i will be building a stool sitting area between both poles so i am building out wall on post to accept a inwall speaker.

·
Registered
30,351 Posts
4 surround speakers can provide side-vs-rear separation AND wrap-around envelopment in the surround field that is not possible with only 2 surround speakers. Of course, that depends on your ability to place the 4 surrounds properly. If you are building out a wall section on one of the poles to accept an in-wall surround speaker, can you build out a similar wall section near the back of the room for another in-wall surround, so that you have separate Side and Rear speakers?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4 surround speakers can provide side-vs-rear separation AND wrap-around envelopment in the surround field that is not possible with only 2 surround speakers. Of course, that depends on your ability to place the 4 surrounds properly. If you are building out a wall section on one of the poles to accept an in-wall surround speaker, can you build out a similar wall section near the back of the room for another in-wall surround, so that you have separate Side and Rear speakers?
i cant build out the rear wall, its the stairwell to upstairs. if I cant do a proper back wall is it better to eliminate the rears and just run side and atmos? or run side, atmos, and put a rear satalite speaker on bracket from ceiling for the rear.

·
Registered
30,351 Posts
IF you cannot find locations for 4 surrounds speakers, then just do 2.

Not a good idea to put Rear speakers on the ceiling. The point of Atmos is to separate sounds around you vs sounds above you. Placing surrounds as high up as the height speakers will diminish that separation.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'd get really good surround and atmos ceiling speakers. I've been a little disappointed in rear speakers in the one instance I have them. Sometimes it might just be good to funnel all that power to the surrounds and ceiling atmos but I'd defer to others who might have had real success with rear speakers making an impact

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Couldn't you put your rears into the drywall the stairs will have on them? Or are you leaving those stairs open-air? With narrower rear placement angles (which some people prefer anyway), I feel like you could totally have rears under the stairs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Will rears fit in the stair case? Its hard to tell from the picture.

I would go with 5.2.4. But I would have 4 surround speaker. 2 left and 2 right. 1 slightly in front and behind the couch. Just make sure the speakers are wide dispersion

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will rears fit in the stair case? Its hard to tell from the picture.

I would go with 5.2.4. But I would have 4 surround speaker. 2 left and 2 right. 1 slightly in front and behind the couch. Just make sure the speakers are wide dispersion
I can place them on stairwell but the one speaker will offset 3' further back. see picture. do you think 3' offset would make a big difference or is it better than the alternative or just do a 5.2.4 system and omit the rears.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Are you dead-set on in-walls? Because it's starting to look like your best option would be some small satellites on articulating brackets placed wide.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I think i am set on all in walls. its an open concept and i would rather have things less easily broken with 3 young kids.
Then I would just go 5.2.4 in your space. I don't see any other good way for it to work well with the limitations you have.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can place them on stairwell but the one speaker will offset 3' further back. see picture. do you think 3' offset would make a big difference or is it better than the alternative or just do a 5.2.4 system and omit the rears.

View attachment 3145031
I see. I would let it be then. You could control it with distance but I don't think it's worth it. I would stick with the 5-4 setup with 11 speakers. Your dual surrounds will operate on the same channel. Just make sure that the surround speakers do not drop below 4ohms when wired together.

Not a problem with 8 ohm speakers. Well true 8 ohms.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see. I would let it be then. You could control it with distance but I don't think it's worth it. I would stick with the 5-4 setup with 11 speakers. Your dual surrounds will operate on the same channel. Just make sure that the surround speakers do not drop below 4ohms when wired together.

Not a problem with 8 ohm speakers. Well true 8 ohms.
Thanks for all the input. it sounds like stepping it down to a 5.2.4 system will be best for my application. I found this layout information is this what i should be using to determine all my speaker locations.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have room in the walls can i use same LCR up front for the surrounds?

These are the three price points i am looking at right now.
I dont know if I should spend more money on better speakers if its more of a multi use room and open concept.

I was looking to power with either the new Yamaha RX-A8A or Anthem MRX-1140
Depending on what in subs i do i will also run seperate amp for those.

Proficient Signature IW675s $
Revel W553L $$
Triad InWall Bronze LCR $$$

·
Registered
317 Posts
i have room in the walls can i use same LCR up front for the surrounds?

These are the three price points i am looking at right now.
I dont know if I should spend more money on better speakers if its more of a multi use room and open concept.

I was looking to power with either the new Yamaha RX-A8A or Anthem MRX-1140
Depending on what in subs i do i will also run seperate amp for those.

Proficient Signature IW675s $
Revel W553L $$
Triad InWall Bronze LCR $$$
Yes, one advantage of using the same speakers for surrounds as your LCR is when listening to 5.1 surround music, in particular. If you can, listen to the speakers to help you decide which ones.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There recommendations is a good start for sure. Using the same speaker in wall is ideal. It depends on your budget and the level of performance you are aiming for.

If you want to go for a reference level system, you can expect to spin $500 plus per speaker. $500 is with good deals that typically happen during holidays. You will need sperate amplifiers as well.

Non reference level systems are still pretty loud.
Check out Steven's channel.

You can watch some of his videos and they will be extremely helpful.

I am pretty knowledgeable and i just enlisted his services to help me. It was extremely worth the money. He is the full package.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Thanks for all the input. it sounds like stepping it down to a 5.2.4 system will be best for my application. I found this layout information is this what i should be using to determine all my speaker locations.
That home guideline is generally okay, but ignore where it says to put the heights side-to-side. They do not necessarily go in line with the mains, but a lot of people believe they should because of that diagram. The quick and dirty guideline for heights is to measure the distance between the side surrounds and the two rows of heights should be half that distance apart. So if your side surrounds are 12 feet apart, each row of heights should be 6 feet apart center-to-center (or 3 feet from each side wall). The range in the home guideline is 0.5-0.7x the layout width. I recommend going closer to the 0.5x end of that placement range.

If you want to get more specific, the math on where to place the rows of heights is 45 degrees + the elevation of the side surrounds above ear level divided by 2. So if your side surrounds are elevated 10 degrees from your MLP, 10 / 2 = 5 + 45 = 50 degrees from ear level. This is the standard for mix room placement and will give you the best representation of the soundtrack in your room. Note: The 0.5x layout width tends to get you roughly there... but if you're super picky, now you know the math.

·
Registered
317 Posts
That home guideline is generally okay, but ignore where it says to put the heights side-to-side. They do not necessarily go in line with the mains, but a lot of people believe they should because of that diagram. The quick and dirty guideline for heights is to measure the distance between the side surrounds and the two rows of heights should be half that distance apart. So if your side surrounds are 12 feet apart, each row of heights should be 6 feet apart center-to-center (or 3 feet from each side wall). The range in the home guideline is 0.5-0.7x the layout width. I recommend going closer to the 0.5x end of that placement range.

If you want to get more specific, the math on where to place the rows of heights is 45 degrees + the elevation of the side surrounds above ear level divided by 2. So if your side surrounds are elevated 10 degrees from your MLP, 10 / 2 = 5 + 45 = 50 degrees from ear level. This is the standard for mix room placement and will give you the best representation of the soundtrack in your room. Note: The 0.5x layout width tends to get you roughly there... but if you're super picky, now you know the math.

Interesting, I had never seen this formula. Did you get it from the Dolby guidelines?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Interesting, I had never seen this formula. Did you get it from the Dolby guidelines?
Yes. It's from the Home Entertainment Studio Certification Guide. Can also be found in their theatrical guide as well. 0.5x the layout width generally gets you there in most rooms (which is what the home guidelines are meant for - simplicity), but the size of your room can affect whether that's actually the optimal position to match the mix room/theatrical positions.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts