AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

5.2 receiver for under $400

438 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  eriksells916
Hi

I just purchase a 65nu8000 TV today and want to get a 4k receiver to go with it.

I have a denon avr-1613 since 2013 that has been working flawless.

I want to keep my system simple so a 5.2 is enough, because I won't add any speakers, and don't want to spend more than necessary.

Receiver is only used with TV so I don't care about fancy features, just want a great sounding reliable receiver.

What do you recommend?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Hi

I just purchase a 65nu8000 TV today and want to get a 4k receiver to go with it.

I want to keep my system simple so a 5.2 is enough, because I won't add any speakers, and don't want to spend more than necessary.

Receiver is only used with TV so I don't care about fancy features, just want a great sounding reliable receiver.

What do you recommend?
I had the Sony STR-DH590 before getting a Yamaha, and it was good enough. The Sony has 2 sub pre-outs. I thought the Sony had good sound. I got the Yamaha for reasons not related to the sound.

The entry-level Denons and Onkyos also have 2 sub pre-outs.
I had the Sony STR-DH590 before getting a Yamaha, and it was good enough. The Sony has 2 sub pre-outs. I thought the Sony had good sound. I got the Yamaha for reasons not related to the sound.

The entry-level Denons and Onkyos also have 2 sub pre-outs.
I don't know about the Yamahas, but with Denon, you don't get two independent sub pre-outs for models that don't have Audyssey XT32/SubEq. The lowest-end models are the AVR-X3400H and 3500. Lacking that, you may as well use a single output with a Y adapter. The input impedance of a sub is high enough (10k ohms, typically) that connecting two should have no discernable loss.
low end Yamaha don't calibrate dual subs and their YPAO room calibration only goes down to 30hz. Sony doesn't have dual sub calibration either.
I don't necessarily want a low-end receiver, form what I have read 5.2 receivers are kind of low end, I can get a 7.2 or 9.2 if it's the better option under $400.
I don't necessarily want a low-end receiver, form what I have read 5.2 receivers are kind of low end, I can get a 7.2 or 9.2 if it's the better option under $400.
What is your budget? From the thread title it seems to say you're looking for a budget receiver. Most any AVR does 5.1, but it doesn't make much sense to get a mid-level AVR for 5.1 unless you want preamp out jacks for an external amp or two, or have a couple of zones to connect to.
I don't want to spend more than $400, but I can stretch budget up to $600.

I watch mostly Netflix and online content.
either one of these will work. x2500 has dual HDMI out if you need it for $50 more

https://www.crutchfield.com/Product...tems=01|033AVX1500&compareItems=01|033AVX2500

You're already familiar with Denon since you have the AVR-1613
AVRs that sell for $400 new won't have 2 independent sub outs. If they have two outputs at all, they'll receive the same signal. I wouldn't call any such receiver a 5.2 (or 7.2 or 9.2).
For $600, the Denon 3500 is the way to go IMO. It often can be found at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi

What do you recommend?
There are a lot of good options under $600, especially if you don't mind refurbished. However, as many have already said, there is nothing under $600 (minus old gear) that will calibrate dual subs, besides the Denon x3400/x3500.

Pioneer vsx-lx503 and cousin Onkyo tx-rz830 are probably the biggest/baddest receivers you can get under $600 right now. 120w/ch, 9 channels and can expand to 11, 3 zones, full preouts, excellent phono stage, great for movies and 2 channel listening. Again, will not calibrate dual subs independently but a ton of features for the price.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.