AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I've been reading what is available using the search feature and must say there is a metric ton of information here.

Quick question to ask if there is any article or how to guide for setting up a 5 or 7.1 home theater?

Problem is that I'm already wired for ceiling speakers. Based on our seating layout it is actually pretty correct based on what I've found here so far to include a sub woofer connection. I have a pair of floor standing speakers, ESS Tempest Classics, but am not trying to incorporate those into the design at the moment. I'm a bit spoiled by their clarity with highs but have to say they are on their last leg and I am out of spare heil tweeters :(

With that being said I usually am playing physical media and watching movies. Movies probably a couple times a week. I am actually looking for a building block approach knowing I'll spend a bit more now for the receiver and sub woofer than the initial 7 speakers up front that I could probably replace later.

What I'm not sure about since I'm using in ceiling speakers is if people match for each location or mix. Or, if it doesn't matter as much and find something with good tonal quality and adjustable tweeter/highs and use a proper matched sub. I think that is what I am struggling with now :)

·
Registered
20,977 Posts
Hi everyone. I've been reading what is available using the search feature and must say there is a metric ton of information here.

Quick question to ask if there is any article or how to guide for setting up a 5 or 7.1 home theater?

Problem is that I'm already wired for ceiling speakers. Based on our seating layout it is actually pretty correct based on what I've found here so far to include a sub woofer connection. I have a pair of floor standing speakers, ESS Tempest Classics, but am not trying to incorporate those into the design at the moment. I'm a bit spoiled by their clarity with highs but have to say they are on their last leg and I am out of spare heil tweeters :(

With that being said I usually am playing physical media and watching movies. Movies probably a couple times a week. I am actually looking for a building block approach knowing I'll spend a bit more now for the receiver and sub woofer than the initial 7 speakers up front that I could probably replace later.

What I'm not sure about since I'm using in ceiling speakers is if people match for each location or mix. Or, if it doesn't matter as much and find something with good tonal quality and adjustable tweeter/highs and use a proper matched sub. I think that is what I am struggling with now :)

I think my tactic would be to " find something with good tonal quality and adjustable tweeter/highs and use a proper matched sub " for sure, and I might try and use bigger or more powerful speakers for the L / C / R speakers if I could. Lots of companies making good in ceiling speakers these days with aim-able tweeters - Definitive Technology and Martin Logan come to mind. Give us a call or email at AV Science if we can help. :)

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Proper patched sub? Never heard of such a thing.

You can get away with mixing your surrounds. People do it all the time. Identical speakers will always give you the best results, but my system has un-matched surrounds and I think it sounds great. Surrounds are usually back ground noise for the most part. There's rarely anybody talking back there so mixing brands can go un-noticed. Make sure all your surrounds match eachother and make sure your front 3 mains match eachother. The front 3 are very critical. Don't try to mix them. As far as the sub I'll have to disagree with the above post regarding matching. Base is base. Just get the best sub you can afford, don't go to cheap in this area.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
If at all possible do NOT use in ceiling speakers for the Front 3.... You want those to be aimed at the seating area, so used in-wall speakers for that. In-ceiling speakers work find as surrounds.

Also there is no need to brand match your subwoofer to your speakers. If you do you end up paying more for less bass.

·
Registered
20,977 Posts
If at all possible do NOT use in ceiling speakers for the Front 3.... You want those to be aimed at the seating area, so used in-wall speakers for that. In-ceiling speakers work find as surrounds.

Also there is no need to brand match your subwoofer to your speakers. If you do you end up paying more for less bass.

I actually meant that matching speakers - same line and brand - is best. The subwoofer certainly need not match - I have SVS subs and Martin Logan speakers. Get a good sub that does the job and fits in your room, and budget. Better yet, get two subs ! :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Regarding my comment about "Proper patched sub" - I meant that the builder also included a pre-wire for a sub-woofer. May not be in the ideal spot but it is behind one of the couches. My better half really dislikes wires or cords around the floor so I thought it may be a good thing if I could use it.

Regarding the use of all ceiling speakers. That would be my preference just because that is what is there and pre-wired. I know it isn't ideal especially coming from my current loud speaker but I'll something I'm looking to use. I could possibly make use of two small book shelf speakers say the size of the ML LX16's but I'm not sure what, if any, clearance they may need. I am currently building a custom entertainment, cabinet, fireplace, and mantle supporting a 79" TV. I'll be the first to admit I didn't factor in a bookshelf speaker so may have to pick a few, make a cardboard mock up and see how it looks - lol.

Reading a few other threads it does appear that in-ceiling work and can sound nice but it is a bit tricky and not ideal. If I go the route of the fronts being of bookshelf type what is the 3rd usually? Just a sound bar or something a bit more specific? I do have a Sonos soundbar sitting idle at the moment.

Thanks again - more food for thought and reading. Learning is good so thanks.
-scott

·
Registered
20,977 Posts
Regarding my comment about "Proper patched sub" - I meant that the builder also included a pre-wire for a sub-woofer. May not be in the ideal spot but it is behind one of the couches. My better half really dislikes wires or cords around the floor so I thought it may be a good thing if I could use it.

Regarding the use of all ceiling speakers. That would be my preference just because that is what is there and pre-wired. I know it isn't ideal especially coming from my current loud speaker but I'll something I'm looking to use. I could possibly make use of two small book shelf speakers say the size of the ML LX16's but I'm not sure what, if any, clearance they may need. I am currently building a custom entertainment, cabinet, fireplace, and mantle supporting a 79" TV. I'll be the first to admit I didn't factor in a bookshelf speaker so may have to pick a few, make a cardboard mock up and see how it looks - lol.

Reading a few other threads it does appear that in-ceiling work and can sound nice but it is a bit tricky and not ideal. If I go the route of the fronts being of bookshelf type what is the 3rd usually? Just a sound bar or something a bit more specific? I do have a Sonos soundbar sitting idle at the moment.

Thanks again - more food for thought and reading. Learning is good so thanks.
-scott

It could be a matching center channel speaker, or, if it fits, it could be a third identical bookshelf speaker. Not a soundbar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.