AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a VGA Breakout cable to get my computer's monitor signal onto my television, but this newbie's a little confused. Each component/rgb hook-up on the back of my tv (Mits 55807) has three inputs (Y/G, Pr/R, and Pb/B). Fits nicely with the 3 that come out of my dvd player. Why does the VGA cable (BetterCables) "breakout" into 5 bnc/rca's?

Also, I'm on a Mac and I've been reading around the forums that I won't be able to set up the custom resolution needed for the 16X9. I can live with that at this point, but is there anything else about the signal that I should be worried about? For example, can incompatible "refresh rates" do any damage?

Thanks for all your help.

Manny

·
Registered
901 Posts
Manny,

There are two type of HD connection, the one you have which is component i.e. YPbPr and RGBHV which has 5 conenctions and is the one you get from a VGA breakout cable. What you need is a transcoder to convert from RGBHV to YPbPr component. Audio Authority make one, as do Key digital and I believe RCA does.

I am not familiar with your TV, so make sure it can accept a progresive HD signal on these inputs as not all component inputs are HD.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Also, don't forget the transcoder and TV will probably only accept a few resolutions which are not standard vga resolutions. Typically, component signals can be 540p, 720p, 1080i, and sometimes 1080p.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Three cables are for RGB and the other two are for horizontal (H) and verticle (V) sync. Many monitors don't require the H and/or V signals and are set up to sync on green. The are cables available that breakout either -3, -4 or -5 BNC or RCA jacks for various situations. Seeing your TV has lables RGB, it should accept the RGB signals. It doesn't hurt to have the extra connectors ecxcept for cosmetic reasons. But I believe your TV has H and V inputs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone.

Only one question left - the refresh rate.

My Macintosh currently can output a 640x480 signal at 85Hz. According to the manual, my Mitsubishi 55807 HDTV set will accept a 480p signal, but it doesn't mention anything about the "Hz". Hz is the refresh rate, right?

I read somewhere that most sets only accept 60Hz. Does anyone know if 85hz will be an issue? Will I have a poor signal or no signal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
901 Posts
480P is 60Hz, so to get your TV to sync you MUST use 60Hz. If you try 85Hz at best you will have no signal, at worst you will damage something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.