AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Trying to decide between a Parasound 855 (5x85) and a Rotel 1075 (5x120) to hook up to a pair of Paradigm Studio 100's. Price is an issue since I am also looking to upgrade my Denon AVR3300 receiver to an Anthem AVM20 pre.

I am leaning towards the Parasound since I have heard that it's a great combination with the Paradigm's. I'm just worried about the 85 watts running the 100's Evantually I will make them sing with Odyssey monoblocks but for now since I really want the AVM20, will the 855 tide me over?

Thanks

· Registered
474 Posts
FWIW

SGTHT rated the Rotel as an "A", and the Parasound was unrated (probably not reviewed). In the similar price range the ATI AT1505 and the Outlaw 750 were "AA". I have heard none of these personally. Perhaps you should listen to all and let your ears/wallet decide! Oening Paradigm myslef, I beilieve these would be classified as "bright" speakers and the ATI amp is not recommended for such speaker systems. Based on other Rotel amps I've heard, I feel they mate well with the Monitor series. Ca't speal to the Studios though.

· Registered
77 Posts
Don't know if the 855 will provide sufficient power for the 100's to kick ass like they can. I talked to my local dealer and read around and lots of people won't even risk less than 175. They like 200. I have 80's and won't run anything less than 150w now that I know what it sounds like. I have the stereo stratos and must say it kills my receiver amp that was pushing ~100 (so they say). NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE. I would shop around and look for a deal on a two channel parasound or wait it out and get the Stratos. I have an HT3 on order and he said it was going to be the usual 6-7 weeks though. Good luck.

· Registered
70 Posts
I just upgraded the amp in my system from an ATI-1505 to a Theta Dreadnaught. If you are interested in buying my ATI, send me an e-mail at [email protected] . The ATI is an awesome amp and gives many more expensive amps a good run for their money. It did wonders with my Theta Casablanca II and I suspect it would be a great match for the AVM-20.

Thanks!

Sam

· Registered
925 Posts
Hi All,

My recommendation would be a used EAD Powermaster 1000. It is rated 200 watts per channel and it is very musical.

I have seen a used one go for as low as $1200 to $1500(US).

And I also think the ATI 1505 is a killer Hometheater poweramp.

Just my 2cents, Brian

· Registered
122 Posts
I bought my used EAD PM 1000 for 1500.00 to my door! Yup, that included shipping (Audiogon.com). Suffice to say i am very happy with the amp.

Regards.

· Registered
77 Posts
You can find a used parasound 2003 (200 x 3) on audiogon for 750 obo at audiogon. Then get another used 2 channel for the rears for around 350. There's your five channels and it just may be that much better than a 5 channel amp. I just saw two 2003's on there today so you might wanna check it out.

· Registered
1,466 Posts
Check out the Outlaw 755 (200WPC x 5 @ 8 ohms and 300WPC x 5 @ 4 ohms). It's priced around your budget, I think. There's also an Outlaw 750 on eBay (165W x 5 @ 8 ohms and 225W @ 4 ohms on eBay). The Outlaw 750 was rated very highly by reviewers, professional and consumers alike!

ATI makes some FINE amps. I have the AT2505 (just upgraded) and this thing kicks major booty! As far as being bright, I don't think so and I think the ATI AT1505 should have similar sound. I've also owned the Parasound HCA855 and while it is better than most receivers' amp sections, it is certainly not on par with the ATIs. Not by a long shot. Then again, it's about half the price of the AT1505 so I wouldn't expect it to match up.

One other thing, I believe that the Outlaw amps are manufactured in the same facility as the ATI so they should sound pretty good. My vote goes to ATI! Good luck!

· Registered
122 Posts
PhillipC,

I'm actually in a very similar position as you. I'm looking for a 5 channel amp to drive a Paradigm Studio HT setup with the Studio 100s as mains.

I'm seriously considering the Outlaw 755 (5 x 200watts). Unfortunately, I haven't actually heard the Paradigm Studio 100s mated with this amp, so this is not a recommendation, but just a suggestion for you to consider.

As far as I know, this amp has three main things going for it:

1) Power

Quote from an email from Gary Takeda from Paradigm:

> An amplifier rated for 200 watt/ch RMS is the minimum

> that I would suggest for the Studio/100v.2 and the

> Studio/CC. A less powerful amplifier could be used for

> the surrounds but you may find it to be more cost

> effective to simply select a suitable 5-channel model.

2) Price

I believe the Outlaw 755 is your price range: $1299.

3) Sound

Again, this is where I'm the least informed, but from what I've read, it should mate with the 100s quite well.

Has anyone out there actually heard these two together?

Dan

· Registered
267 Posts
A used or dealer demo Sherbourn 5/1500A should fall into your price range. It does 200x5 into 8 ohms and has a very clean, neutral sound quality.

· Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dblloyd
Isn't the ATI 1505 extremely similar to the Outlaw 750?

If not, what's different?
I believe the 2 amps come out of the same factory however there are differences based on what i've read. The except below comes from Ed Frias as posted in Audioreview.com "Many opinions have been written as to the ATI 1505 and the Outlaw 750 amplifiers. It is a known fact that the Outlaw amp is built by ATI for Outlaw! Because of that fact, many believe the Outlaw 750 is an ATI 1505 cloaked in a different dress. Let me be clear, IT IS NOT! Because of manufacturing costs and tooling, ATI uses a similar design and construction format, but the two amps have several differences that make the ATI superior to the Outlaw. That is not to say the Outlaw is not a good amp, because it is!

ATI is well aware of the fact that some believe they are buying a ATI 1505 at wholesale cost when buying an Outlaw 750. They believe they are skipping the mark-up of the retail dealers by buying an Outlaw amp factory direct. What they are buying is a good amp for $1100! Because it is built by ATI, it is probably the best 5 channel amp available for $1100! Step up a few hundred dollars more to the ATI 1505 or even the 1506, and you are not only buying the best amp for that price range, but I dare say for two to three times that price range! Thats not an opinion but a proven fact!

I challenge ANY magazine or independent person(s) to an honest comparison between the ATI and any other multi-channel amp on the market costing up to $5000! Why do I sound confident? Because several comparisons have already been performed and we continue to compare ATI with other amps. At the $2000 range, I just haven't found anything comparable! ATI has set the new standard and other amplifier companies are striving to come up to it. I hope many do, it will only be a benefit to the consumer!

For those who have wondered what the differences are between the ATI 1505 and Outlaw 750, here are a few.

(1) More transistors on the output stage. 8 per module for the ATI vs. 6 for the Outlaw.

(2) A larger power transformer. 2kva for the ATI vs. 1.6kva for the Outlaw.

(3) Advanced circuitry design in the ATI. Because of proprietary design I can't discuss the differences.

(4) Detachable AC power cord on the ATI. This allows upgrading the AC line for those who believe in that tweek.

Its main function is to make it simpler to remove the amp if necessary and change if ever damaged.

(5) A heavier gauge metal used for the ATI cabinet."

· Registered
7,138 Posts
How about something from the Mondial Designs Acurus line like this . This line is now defunct but there are some good prices to be had....

You can find some of their 200W x3 amps (used) at AudioGon.com for $600-700. OneCall.com used to see new ones at this price as well.

(I'm also curious on how well the Paradigm 100v2's match up to the Acurus 200x3 as I already own the 200x3 and am interested in the Paradigm 100's!)

Kal

· Registered
51 Posts
I just went though this same process and I have a Sherbourn 5/1500 coming. I'm not sure as to your ultimate plans but I got a 5 channel amp now and plan on adding a 2 channel amp later to have a complete 7 channel system.

I think that if your getting the AVM-20 that a MCA-5 would probably be your best bet. Since it's all the same company it should sound good together. You could probably get a new one for your $1200 too.

I would recommend auditioning them at home if possible. This is a sure way to find the Amp that sound the best to you and works in your room as well.

I would also recommend doing some searches on these speakers here. A lot of people here have them and theres a ton of good info out there. I think you find that these speakers need power the more he better. Something to keep in mind during your search

Good luck and have fun let us know what you finally get

Jake

· Registered
3,755 Posts
I agree with others that ideally you will be happier with a good quality 200'ish wpc amp. But just for a moment, let's get back to where you started from.

The Parasound HCA-855A is a very nice little amp. The design and sound are extremely similiar to the big HCA-2205AT. It is rated at only 85 watts, but it is a true 85 watts, with all 5 channels driven. And it can handle 4 ohm loads.

It would do a very good job for you unless you are going to be pushing your Paradigms to loud levels in large rooms. Many people don't realize how well something in the 75-100 watt range can do - they may be more familiar with the cheap 75 wpc amps found in receivers, which don't have adequate power supplies.

The reason I'm revisiting this amp is that while many of the amps mentioned in this thread are worth every bit of the $1200-$1600 price, the HCA-855A is being cleared out and discontinued by Parasound. I've seen them selling for around $450.

So if you decide that you don't want to pop for $1200+ right now, and can live with a very good quality under $500 amp, it's a steal!

Tom B.

· Registered
8 Posts
I own Paradigm Studio/60's and CC and use a Rotel 985-MKII to drive them (similar to the 1075). I listened to the RMB 1095 (5x200) and much preferred the sound on both the studio 60's and 100's. In fact, I wish I had gotten that amp, and although I'm satisfied with what I have, I noticed a significant difference when switching amps on both sets of mains, and I wish I'd waited a little to get a more powerful amp (and the Studio 100's, maybe?). Oh well. I thoroughly enjoy the setup I have now. Do I sound like I'm trying to convince myself?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.