AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a very good 5 channel amp. One that is rated at 200w per channel into 8 ohms. Any suggestions. How about the Parasound? Or the Adcom?

·
Registered
152 Posts
What about the Cary Cinema 5? From right up the street in Apex, N.C.!

Site specs indicate 200w into 8 ohms and 350 into 4 I think.

I didn't realize they were into solid state but they did get a glowing (albeit not lengthy) review recently from Wayne Garcia in PV or Absolute Sound - I forget which. He thought it was comparable only to multi-ch amps costing much more $$ and was similar in feel if not scale to the BAT-6200 which lists at $10K for 6 channels.

Just a thought as it lists in the same price point as the 200 W - Halo- I haven't been able to find a Cary Cin 5 locally to hear.

:(

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The problem with Cary audio gear is there are so few dealers, and no mail order allowed. You can get them used, but with no transferable warranty.

Dsmith

·
Registered
267 Posts
Parasound, Rotel and my personal preference, Sherbourn. All make excellent 5 channel amps in the sub $2K price range.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Many good used deals are available online. You can save about 50% off retail list. I just bought a used Sherbourn 5/1500A (200x5) for less than $1k

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just purchased a brand new Marantz MM9000, THX Ultra, 5 channel X150W for $700 including shipping from an authorized internet dealer. This amplifier typically sell for over $1000. $1300 is the list price. My decision was based on price and the fact that there is only +3db difference between a 200wpc vs. 100wpc amp. If the speakers are efficient, 150wpc is more than sufficient

YMMV

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Outlaw has five channel amps, you can buy one new or as a B-stock. They also have a great deal on their monobloc amps as well. And all of them put out 200 watts at 8 ohms.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Since nobody else has mentioned it, I'll suggest a Sunfire Cinema Grand. [email protected], [email protected] Tons of power, and unlike most other amps, won't pull double duty as a space heater regardless of the load.

I've got one powering my front 3 and dual subs right now.

Sorny

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, appreciate the input. The budget is under $3k for this item but if I can get it under 2k that would be a bonus. The Sunfire is a possiblity as is the Parasound. Cary is dealerless with none here in NC where they are located.......unreal. Parasound is made in New Zealand with one US dealer which bothers me if the dealer goes out of business and it needs repairs. Sunfire is Bob Carver and he does things a little differently from a design basis.

But I'm going to go audition the Sunfire and Parasound. I really want 200 W/channel at 8 ohms so that cuts down on the possibilities.

Hugh

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
At your budget level you should seriously consider the ATI 2005 (200 X 5) or the 3005 (300 X 5), both fully balanced, with 7 year transferable warranties.

Dsmith

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.