AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just upgraded from my Adcom 5503 and two Marantz mono blocks to the Fosgate Audionics 1000.5 @ 200wpc and it feels like I still have my Adcom, the warmth and openess is still there, plus better imaging, sweeter highs, and better soundstaging. It's a great match with my Dali's. I found it used on Audiogon, and it's definitely worth an audition if your looking for a 5 channel amp. The faceplate is pretty cool too. :cool:

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I have two of these beauties in my system and am pleased with them. Seven of the ten channels are in use: four on one and three on the other.

Not only do I have great looking, great sounding JFET input/MOSFET output amps, but I've also got spare channels for the next surround sound upgrade. :D

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope to get another one also, perhaps around December. I'd like to bi-amp my front three and run singles to my 4 surrounds.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
You said the b-a word! Some guys seem to search for the term just so they can get on a thread and tell you negative things about your choice and about how much smarter they are than you. :p Others will tell you it's not worth doing unless you also buy better cables, maybe for several hundred bucks. :eek:

Anyway, seems like a good option to me. Best of luck with it. If there's no perceptible difference, you'll always have extra channels to use later. If there is a positive change, then you'll be even happier with what you've got now.

My JBL Performance Series towers are bi-youknowwhated by default, since the 14" LE14H-1 driver has a built in 400W amp. The top three drivers then get 200W from the FAA 1000.5 amp. I use pretty good, generic, oxygen free, 12 AWG, braided copper from a local electronics hobbiest store. Forty-nine cents a foot. That's pretty good power distribution. :)

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco
I hope to get another one also, perhaps around December.
Be sure to search for "fosgate audionics" on eBay from time to time. I see factory refurbs on there for well under $1k. They have a 90 day warranty.

I got one of mine that way (under $600) and it looked perfect out of the box. It's performed flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know I've got to be careful with the "Bi" word and thanks, I fully intend to experiment with my options, that's what makes it fun...

I'll keep a "my favorites" bookmark on ebay so if one comes up I'll get notified right away. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.