AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I will pose this question to the pundits on the board. Which would you you choose in this situation? I am tying to help a friend decide between a Parasound 1205A or 2003A for his front soundstage. With the 1205A, he can biamp with 4 channels and put 140watts to upper and lower of the L/R and Center. With the 2003A, he gets 220 watts to all three but cannot biamp. The speakers are NHT 3.3's and AC-2. The set up will be 70/30 HT/Music. The rears are already handled by a Parasound 806A. Fire away with questions if there is additional info needed. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Yo Eric wasssup !

Long time since we spoke, Ill cal ya or give me a ring...Anyway, My take on this is to get the 2003. 220 watts from the 2003 will be enough for the 3.3's plus in two channel you wont be using all the reserves so actual wattage will go up. IMO I would rather have the 220 watts on the AC-2 where it can be really used. Remember I mentioned to you that I could get the clip light to come on (center channel only) when using the lex 212 which is 120 watts(speced at 158 watts)...but I could never get the clip light to come on with my mains l/r.

Does your friend already have the equipment or just planning ?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Most people biamp exclusively for music, and more people believe that it is bad then good, but for movies this is a first. so that alone answers it. It has been years since I determined why you don't, but from very vague memory isn't it that you double your watts but 1/2 on another key factor which is why most hate it. You will also have to run the lower powered amp at a higher level of capacity to approach the effect your looking for, which again is one easily versus another strained. The next thing is that at 220 wpc, you will not be lacking at all, and so he will be fine the other way. The other reason that I remember hating it other then tried with several amps and it sounded worse is that what tweeter and mid needs even 25 percent of the power load, certainly not NHT's that is for sure, so you have one amp doing a little more, but the other doing very little at all.

I decided years ago that for a 5.1 set up if you like music at all, you are much better with a superior on both power and pedigree 3 channel front, and a lessor 2 channel for the back to hande the bing, bam, and booms, and it has and still does work llike a charm with currently the Krell KAV 3250 running the front and the old Denon PO 8300 in charge of the rear, with the 3rd channel currently just sleeping until I go 6.1.

I think the only way bi-amping really helps is when you get into really tweak amps, speakers truly designed with this intent like the B&W presige line, and insane mid drivers with multiples, but that still goes back to music, and not movies. Once you get to the 200 plus game in a solid amp, or at least all but the Sunfire I have heard, you really never get close to capacity on them, and your view changes from need to get there, to been there done that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.