AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am running a Denon 2808CI and paradigm 60 v4s as my mains a cc-590v4 as the center. The center channel works well but I wanted to listen to it in stereo mode as when I listened to music in Dolby PLII it was too loud. Thus, I changed it to 5-channel stereo. This is where things get weird. The center definitely works in other modes but in 5-channel stereo it only has slight treble and no bass what so ever and is quite quiet. I have looked in the settings as it is set as large (it is quite big) and is of the same levels as the other speakers.


When I exit this mode I have no issues. I just want to listen to music with all three speakers at approx the same volume instead of 2-channel stereo which works but neglects the center or in Dobly PLII which the center is to prominent.


Please HELP!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that Large and Small do not mean the physical size. I am not using a subwoofer and am just with a 3.0 system as I am in a small condo.


5-channel stereo "should" be splitting the sound into five channels but there is definitely something amiss with the center speaker. On normal Dolby Digital it is fine and it is quite loud and plays louder than the mains (normal) but for music I wanted them all to be the same level or even the center a bit quieter.


I did not re-run auto setup after I added the center speaker but I will do that tonight. I was just under the assumption that since it had worked on all other modes that it should not be an issue. Just for clarity the center works seamlessly in all other modes other than 5-channel stereo.


I have looked at the speaker levels and the mains are actually 0.5db louder as the center is quite good and I think it is equally as efficient as the mains or appears to be so.


Again, the center speaker is not defective as for movies, television, etc is quite loud. Even when I am on the same input (CD) but choose a different mode, ex Dolby Digitial PLII it works.


Any other suggestions as it works in all other modes and I am 100% sure it is not defective.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will re-run it tonight when I get home.


Studio 60s v4 = 91 / 88 dB

Studio cc-590 v4 = 90 / 87 dB


Thus, it is marginally more efficient. However, when I played it in 5-channel stereo it was VERY quiet compared to the mains which were humming along.


I will revert back tonight. Thanks again for the suggestion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless_cooz /forum/post/18181423


Hello, I am running a Denon 2808CI and paradigm 60 v4s as my mains a cc-590v4 as the center. The center channel works well but I wanted to listen to it in stereo mode as when I listened to music in Dolby PLII it was too loud. Thus, I changed it to 5-channel stereo. This is where things get weird. The center definitely works in other modes but in 5-channel stereo it only has slight treble and no bass what so ever and is quite quiet. I have looked in the settings as it is set as large (it is quite big) and is of the same levels as the other speakers.


When I exit this mode I have no issues. I just want to listen to music with all three speakers at approx the same volume instead of 2-channel stereo which works but neglects the center or in Dobly PLII which the center is to prominent.


Please HELP!

This is normal (and wanted) in 5/7/9 channel mode the center is used but not to the same level as all the speakers that have a clear left/right. My guess is that its about 6dB lower.


The same happens in dolby pl2 but there is a difference in what mode, in music mode it does the same (make the center less present) while on film and game more it does.


You can change the levels after you have picked the mode (check manual) for each speaker and push the center if you want.


Daniel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless_cooz /forum/post/18181423


I just want to listen to music with all three speakers at approx the same volume instead of 2-channel stereo which works but neglects the center or in Dobly PLII which the center is to prominent.


Please HELP!

Try PLII Music mode. If the center level is not to your liking, you can adjust it with the Center Width control. At one end it is at full level, same as Movie mode. At the other end, it is full off (Phantom) mode, and you have several levels in between.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great response guys. Much appreciated.


I reran the Audyssey and there was no change. I have to say that the Dolby Digital PLII in music is much better and I will just have to toggle between that and movies when I switch between movies and music.


Thanks a lot guys.


I have read a lot of bad about this tuner. I would say it is overall good as I had a Yamaha rxv4600 before and I find this as good or better. I can say their manual is complete trash. If they get a new manual I believe half of the people will be able to self-answer their own questions and many people who were dissatisfied would be happy.


Thanks again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
93,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo /forum/post/18187745


This is normal (and wanted) in 5/7/9 channel mode the center is used but not to the same level as all the speakers that have a clear left/right. My guess is that its about 6dB lower.

Huh? In 5/7 CH Stereo mode the same full range signal is sent to each speaker. As long as the channel level volume settings are the same for each speaker, then they should all provide the same volume. There should be no difference in volume between the OPs center vs. mains in this mode.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/18188450


Huh? In 5/7 CH Stereo mode the same full range signal is sent to each speaker. As long as the channel level volume settings are the same for each speaker, then they should all provide the same volume. There should be no difference in volume between the OPs center vs. mains in this mode.

I think there is some room for different interpretations here. Unlike the other channels, where the stereo source is copied directly, the center speaker plays a sum of L/R. One easy way to do that is add them with a scale factor of 0.5 to maintain headroom. That would give a 6 dB drop in the C output if only the L channel is playing. But if the L and R channels are both playing the same signal--like a vocal, then the C will come out at the same loudness as either the L or R speakers.


So "it depends."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless_cooz /forum/post/18185585


I am not using a subwoofer and am just with a 3.0 system as I am in a small condo.



Ok. I am confused. Your statement above says you have a 3.0 system which in conventional terms means a setup with left/center/right speakers only. No surrounds and no sub. How can you use 5-channel stereo or DPL II with only 3 speakers? Or is the above a typo and you meant you have a 5.0 system?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I only have a 3.0 system. No surrounds or sub due to the condo I am living in. I would love a 3-channel stereo mode but the denon has a 2-channel and a 5-channel and nothing in between.


When in Dolby PL II - music the system works great. The center is slightly reduced but still going loud since it does dig pretty low for a center. Now in 5-channel stereo it is definitely quieter. I mean significantly quieter. Then when I switch to Dolby PL II - music the center is alive again. When I am watching TV on Dolby PL II - cinema the center again is perfect.


Thus, my original question was why during 5-channel is the center almost inactive?


As I had said earlier I had re-run the auto setup and no change. The center is NOT defective but it seems there is an issue in this one particular setting.


It is frustrating but I can live with the Dolby PL II - music. Just wanted to know what is going on with the 5-channel stereo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless_cooz /forum/post/18193294


Thus, my original question was why during 5-channel is the center almost inactive?

5-ch stereo, being a passive mode, the designers probably wanted to provide a wee bit of center fill, but not cause a narrowing of the stereo effect. They may have landed on the conservative side of that target.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I had to take a guess I would say it is 40% of the volume that the mains are getting when in 5-channel stereo. So really conservative!


On normal it is equal to the mains and is quite nice but when in Dolby PLII - music I would say it is 80-90% of the mains which I think it best since the mains are a big bigger and go a bit deeper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
All normal mate.

If you want to listen to non standard stereo than just up the level of the centre.

But, as has been mentioned a few times here it is normal from factory.



Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless_cooz /forum/post/18195303


If I had to take a guess I would say it is 40% of the volume that the mains are getting when in 5-channel stereo. So really conservative!


On normal it is equal to the mains and is quite nice but when in Dolby PLII - music I would say it is 80-90% of the mains which I think it best since the mains are a big bigger and go a bit deeper.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top