AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a Yamaha HTR-5540 in Best Buy this weekend and it had "5 channel stereo"? Do anyone know exactly how this works? I'm looking for a source to drive whole house audio and was planning on running many speakers in parallel. I will have 7 set s of speakers so I think my goal is to have a receiver with multiple speaker outputs. Could "5 channel stereo" be a good solution for whole house audio?

Do you think channels 1-2 would drive 1 set of speakers and channels 3-4 would drive another set? How could the 5th channel be stereo if there is only 1? Seems I might be just as well going with a standard stereo receiver that has an A/B switch and run both A and B.

Todd

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I don't know if all 5 ch. stereos work the same, but I think most just work like a PA system and reproduce the same sound in all five channels - good for parties or background music perhaps but not much else.

Dsmith

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone then know of a model/feature that would allow me to use the rear surround channels as normal stereo output for my whole house system? That way I could have 4 pairs of speakers plugged into the surround sound front L/R channels (sharing 100 watts per channel) and another 4 pairs plugged into the surround sound rear L/R (sharing 100 watts per channel) .

·
Registered
126 Posts
5-channel stereo is interesting, imo, and I actually end up using it quite a bit. At first because I simply wanted to use all my speakers. But then because I became accustomed to it. But I think it's really just meant for one room.

A better solution within the Yamaha line would be to step up to the rx-v1300 or the rx-v2300. These models let you play the same music in the main room, in a second room through the B speakers, and in a third room using the Zone 2 feature. The difference between the two is that the 1300 requires a separate amp in the zone 2 room and the 2300 doesn't.

Beyond that, you probably need to get speaker selectors.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have the RXV-800 and use 5 channel stereo all the time except when I can use DD or DTS. I don't know of the exact details on exactly what it does (I'd suggest contacting Yamaha, although Denon has it as well, but implementation may be different), but compared to Prologic I, I get a much wider soundstage, there is still a seperation of left and right so it's not simply the same mono through all 5 speakers. Speech is still concentrated through the center.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I emailed Yamaha and didn't get a response, but the sales person at BestBuy said he was sure of how Yamaha's All Channel Stereo DSP worked. For a 5.1 system in that mode, you will get Front L and Front R in stereo, Back L and Back R in Stereo, and a blend in the 5th channel. The same is true with 6.1 systems, except you have second blended channel.

This will work well with driving my house audio system. More watts to go around.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Assuming a stereo input source..

When in 5 Channel Stereo, the Left channel goes to the Left Front and Left Surround, and the Right channel goes to the Right Front and Right Surround. The Center Channel is a Mono (L+R) mix but high pass filtered above 250Hz... :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I take it that means the center channel would be a bad source for music listening??? Are there any filters/restrictions on the other 4 channels?

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by litzinger
I take it that means the center channel would be a bad source for music listening??? Are there any filters/restrictions on the other 4 channels?
Will sound different compared to 2 channel/stereo not a great deal but due to center channel contribution for vocal. U need to listen and judge.

Other channels like L, R, SL and SR will only have X-Over filters if SMALL is selected, if LARGE then none... :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.