Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imight check, how abt yamaha, 920, kenwood 6050

I bought sony dvpnx? 985, 400+1, damn good, but too big(deep for my shelf) I have to sell?

·
Registered
234 Posts
The Kenwood 6050, while slow to change discs, has a picture that's as good as the RP82. I think Crutchfield still sells them for around $250--$300.

PLus it does DVD-A, if you're interested in that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Denon 1805 can be bought for $125. They fixed the subtitle problem also.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Denon 2815. Its better than their previous model 1815.

Rhoniel
How is it better? Other than DTS decoder and having DVD-A?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I returned a Denon DVM-2815 because I couldn't get blacker-than-black and couldn't get the contrast to an acceptable level. The changer mechanism was also very loud (not that big a deal, though, if everything else would have been acceptable).

·
Registered
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by highvista
I returned a Denon DVM-2815 because I couldn't get blacker-than-black and couldn't get the contrast to an acceptable level.
Denon 910 is similar to 2815. You can pass blacker than black by making some changes in set up. I assume that you can do the same with 2815 since in secret's shoot out, it did pass blacker than black.

Check out this thread.

Rhoniel

·
Registered
171 Posts
Quote:
Denon 910 is similar to 2815. You can pass blacker than black by making some changes in set up. I assume that you can do the same with 2815 since in secret's shoot out, it did pass blacker than black.
That's what I thought as well, but I tried every setting possible and still could not get blacker-than-black output. There have also been reports here that others have had problems getting the 910 to pass blacker-than-black, so I'm not sure what's up with the Secret's Shootout report, but it seems to be incorrect in regards to this aspect of the 910/2815.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I picked up a DVM-4800 for about 30% of MSRP . Denon uses authorized etailers to sell their refurb / b-stock units. The etailers are ecost, dakmart and pcmall.

The 4800 had dcdi and is also loaded with other features. I got it for music/CDs, but the progressive scan DVD is pretty impressive as well. The audio is incredible.

Prices are great, my experience with ecost (and that of 2 friends who picked up DVD-1600s) was excellent.

You have to check back as Denon seems to wait until they have enough units of a single model to sell. I noticed a couple of days ago that hey also had a few of the other units mentioned in this thread.

As far as the refurb thing is concerned, take a look at this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=3800

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
zoro,

Not quite sure where you reside, but if you live close to an Ultimate Electronics, you might be able to find one there. That's where I picked mine up for $499 back in July. I still see them up there as of last week. Kind of ironic, but some bonehead from UE just called me yesterday wanting to know if I was ready to buy that extended warranty for my DVD player.

·
Registered
409 Posts
zoro,

I apologize; you are correct; the 4800 does NOT have DCDI (uses the Genesis chip). I was posting from memory and got my acronyms mixed. The 4800 has HDCD and I just confused them.

I was in the hunt for a multiple CD player and stumbled across this puppy. The price was great for the Audio capability and the progressive scan DVD capability was just a bonus.

Hiowever, once I set it up for use, I was very happy to see that the PQ is acceptably close to that of my DVD-1600. The bonus is that I can watch episodal DVDs (5 disc set for Season 1 of Strgate SG-1) on the 4800 without alot of disk changing.

The audio is excellent for the 4800 and my CD requirement has been far exceeded.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
zoro, i saw a couple of yamaha dcdi changers (open boxes) at the local Fry's Electronics store, I don't know if there are any in your area. I almost bought one myself (they wanted somewhere in 200$ range) but I already have 6 dvd players and my gf is going to kill me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.