Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Is there a good and reasonably priced 5-disc DVD player that has an HDMI output (to hook up to a Sony 60XS955)? I can't seem to find one, but I may be missing it. I need to upgrade mine as it doesn't play some home-made DVD movies (that my old one does!). So, I figure I don't mind doing it if I can get one with HDMI. But I also like the changer aspect.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
It doesn't have HDMI but I just ordered a Sony DVP-NC875V which was rated pretty high in the 775 (Single Disc) thread. I have a 775 also and it puts out a very nice picture for this price range. If the 875 puts out just as good of a picture then I'll be very happy.

The 875 is hard to find but there are still a few around. Yamaha has the new DVD-C950 5 disc HDMI but it might be out of the price range you are looking at.

Jim

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for those model #'s. I'll check out the Yahama and see what it's all about. What I may do is buy a newere "affordable" changer to hook up with component cables, and then eventually buy a DVD recorder with HDD that has HDMI.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I didn't want to spend much on a changer right now either. I got the 875 for that reason. I almost bought the new Sony 995 400 disc changer with HDMI but decided to go cheap right now. I just want something to hold me over till HD DVD.

Jim

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp
Anyone know anything about the $500 Sony ES500 DVD changer?
If you are talking about the 555ES then I think it had the highest marks, among Sony players, at the DVD Secrets Benchmark until the 975 came along. Its discontinued now and you can pick it up for ~300 from a lot of places. Check out Onecall and eBay.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
I had the Sony DVP-NC555ES and exchanged it for the Denon 2910. I have been through the Denon 2900(DOA), Samsung 850,950, Sony 975,and Yamaha 750 also. Crutchfield has got to be getting tired of my voice by now. I initially bought the 555ES and then JUST had to have a player with a HDMI connection for upscaling. WRONG. The Sony DVP-NC555ES, for me, out performed them all. I contacted Crutchfield today and told them I wanted the DVP-NC555ES back. It will be delivered this week. For my use it provided the best color and picture of all the players I've tried. Also, I enjoyed the ability to load 5 disc of any type and play away. The Sony also sounds better to me than the other players,especially for SACD. The redbook CD's are better on the 555es also. This player is very quiet while playing and changing disks. The menu navigation is also much faster than the 2910. I think the reason it didn't score higher on the Secrets benchmark was because of its supposedly 4 second layer changes. It never took that long for any layer change while I used mine. Yes, it was noticeable on some disks,but tell me of a player that doesn't have this problem for this price. Well worth a look if you are in the market for a changer. Also there is no macroblocking to worry about. After using these different players I feel that the Faroudja processing is over-rated. Try one of these from a reputable dealer with a good return policy and see if its the one for you. I think you will feel like I do about the unit. Its a keeper.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
There is another thread on this forum concerning the Yamaha 950 with all of its positives and negatives. Somewhere on page 3 I believe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Aka,

I believe so. I noticed your near Boulder Co. I actually work in Boulder, small world. I believe this Yamaha model is available at the Boulder SoundTrack store. I also think Yamaha makes a 750 model that will work for you as well.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
I had the Yamaha 750. It has got to be the slowest loading player on the market. Picture was good,sound very good, but loading of disks would probably drive you mad. Remote control was also not very responsive. Kept it for 1 week. Even my retailer couldn't believe how slow it was.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.