AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm looking to get a 2.1 (and eventually a 5.1) speaker setup but I'm limited by the height I can manage for the center speaker: 13cm (a little over 5 inches).

Right now, I'm really choosing between two main options:

1) Get a system with a short center speaker. The options here are:

• Energy Take Classic
  • Energy RC-Micro
  • Polk TL250
  • Polk TL350 (would probably just buy the TL3 center and bookshelf speakers and then expand to surrounds later unless I find a sweet deal on the whole thing)

2) Just get some really nice speakers and use a phantom center. There are tons of options in the

·
Registered
332 Posts
Cambridge S30 bookshelves

Cambridge S50 center

Both from accessories4less

Dayton Sub-1200 from parts express

·
Registered
1,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by auceny  /t/1522523/5-high-center-or-phantom-center-with-better-mains#post_24482040

Cambridge S30 bookshelves

Cambridge S50 center

Both from accessories4less

Dayton Sub-1200 from parts express

+1

·
Registered
28,741 Posts
the Cambridge speakers would be much better than any the OP's choices.

i have the RC Micros at my father's house. They only go down to 150hz and sound pretty thin. I got the setup for dirt cheap and only use it a couple times a month so I'm fine with it. But if this is going to be your main system you should opt for larger speakers like the Cambridge s30.

The Cambridge s50 center is less than 5" tall so should meet your needs.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cambs50blk/cambridge-audio-s50-4-3-way-center-channel-speaker-black/1.html

S30 speakers
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cambs30blk/cambridge-audio-s30-4-2-way-bookshelf-speakers-pair-black/1.html

·
Registered
332 Posts
On that site they also have the tower speakers as well as a different color that is slightly cheaper. Also good prices receivers of you need one.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDestiny  /t/1522523/5-high-center-or-phantom-center-with-better-mains#post_24481671

I'm looking to get a 2.1 (and eventually a 5.1) speaker setup but I'm limited by the height I can manage for the center speaker: 13cm (a little over 5 inches).

Right now, I'm really choosing between two main options:

1) Get a system with a short center speaker. The options here are:
  • Energy Take Classic
  • Energy RC-Micro
  • Polk TL250
  • Polk TL350 (would probably just buy the TL3 center and bookshelf speakers and then expand to surrounds later unless I find a sweet deal on the whole thing)

2) Just get some really nice speakers and use a phantom center. There are tons of options in the

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yes, sorry I didnt mention my room size. It's medium large, 15' wide and around 21' long - the rear of the room is an open kitchen/dining room. Vaulted ceilings too. So yeah, a lot of space to fill but the main seating area will be in a corner close to the tv - 4 to 5 ft away and I intend to have the rears, when I get them, in the middle of the room on the living room side of things.

For listening, I'd like clarity in movies and not horrific for music. I don't need earth-pounding bass, just a nice broad soundstage if possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts