Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All:

I'm looking to set up a (budget) 5.1 audio system for my FPTV, and have read that ideally a surround system for theater uses 5 identical speakers. Any comments? In particular, I'm wondering whether I should use 3 identical speakers for left right and center, or get one of the dedicated center channel speakers that I've seen. If the latter, how do I go about insuring that the 5 speakers I select are a "good match"?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
340 Posts
My understanding on 5 matching speakers is yes, however, I think it really boils down to your room and what size constraints you have. For example, my room is small (12'x12'x8') and my couch is up against the back wall. I also wanted floor standing speakers up front, therefore, there was no way I could put 2 more B&W DM604's as surrounds. Nor could I use a 604 for my center since it would rise up into the bottom portion of my screen.

So I guess it really depends on your room and what type of speaker you want: bookshelf or floorstanders.

That said, if I had the room and more importantly the money ;) , I'd have 5 604's all around.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
It is always best using the identical speakers for the three main front channels. If they do not look identical you get more even panning if the center is at least timbre matched with the fronts. Many users use the identical speakers for surround satellites as they do for their fronts. Alternatives to exact speaker matches for surrounds are those using tripoles, bipoles, or dipoles that are the same timbre and brand as the mains.

The way to know without doubt that your speakers are matched is to use the same brand of speaker in all channels and if possible the same model number.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.