AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on here use 5 matching speakers? More specifically the Energy RC10s? Looking for opinions on using matching speakers vs dedicated center. Or even 3 matching front bookshelf speakers and smaller rears.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If it works cosmetically then 3 identical speakers across the front stage is definitely the way to go. However, do not place the left and right speakers normally and then lay the center on its side as this will cause dispersion issues.

What speakers one uses for surrounds depends on the number of surround channels and the number of listening positions one is trying to cover. If you are going with 5.1 and only trying to cover a small seating area (1 couch or love seat) then using identical speakers as the LCRs at 110-120 degrees behind the listening position will work very well.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Ideally you want 5 matching speakers. If you plan on listening to music (or concert Blu-Ray discs) it would be great to have (5) RC10s. As Tim said, don't put any of them on their side. If you have to do that I would opt for the RC10 matching center.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ71985 /forum/post/18168485

Does anyone on here use 5 matching speakers? More specifically the Energy RC10s? Looking for opinions on using matching speakers vs dedicated center. Or even 3 matching front bookshelf speakers and smaller rears.

I used a total of six Polk R15 bookshelf speakers 'all around' in a 6.1 system (at $49.99 per pair). I had no negative issues whatsoever, although I did eventually replace the L/C/R with three (visually 'similar') Yamaha AST-S1 speakers when I wanted to raise the maximum power handling of the front three soundstage...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts