AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah, The things we think and say to convince ourselves ( and others ) that the "upgrade" was worth it.

5. It seemed that a "veil" was lifted from my speakers

4. I heard things that I never heard before in a recording Ive listened to hundreds of times

3.It was so much "warmer"

2.It was like I bought new speakers

And drum roll please:

1. Even my wife heard the difference.

If the number 1 phrase is used, then there shell be no questions asked ..It was an upgrade and there is no possiblity at all of the "placebo" effect. Case closed

Note:

If 3 or more of the first phrase's were used..then that equals the number 1 phrase and all doubts are eliminated.

Feel free to add on to this list

·
Registered
737 Posts
So true! If the wife notices, its an upgrade, (or change anyways) if she doesnt, at least you can still enjoy the nuances! And continue in disbelief that she cant hear it! And obviously since she cant hear it, now the price has to be concealed!

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
That's why garages and home theaters are built or garages with attics that can be converted are built. The wife can see and hear the difference, but you have to justify the difference. That's when you have to compromise - especially on the viewing matter.

·
Registered
737 Posts
HIDE THE CHECKBOOK!

Or input false numbers and keep track elsewhere!

Yeah, Im about due for a kitchen remodel (wife says she should be able to have something new also), I didnt think about that cost in my last upgrade! So, when I total system cost, now I have to add a kitchen to the final bill!

More expensive than I thought!

·
Registered
143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujohny /forum/post/0

1. Even my wife heard the difference.

LOL. A salesman said this to me recently. He was talking about when he upgraded his reciever from Denon to Rotel but kept the same speakers.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Honey, they were discontinuing the older models for the newer models coming out and I got this for cost (not) and the new models are almost twice this price.

davidpa, I can relate to you. I just upgraded from a Denon 5805 to a McIntosh MX119 pre/pro and McIntosh MC207. I help out my dealer concerning a few things and I received the new equipment at cost. I was proud of the purchase but the wife could not understand it. I did not have to pay for a new kitchen but a 7k diamond ring. I made the mistake and mentioned why she needed to upgrade her ring when I thought the one I gave her 12 years ago was just fine. She preceeded to take me up to my dedicated home theater and point blank asked me why did I need to upgrade then. She got me on that one so my total purchase was actually double what I thought it was.

This gives new meaning to you only live once and you can't take it with you.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Mine was sort of listed.. "I was having this or that issue with the one that needed replacing." or "If it goes out you know we will not be able to watch anything at all." That latter statment is a new ploy setting her up for a 1080p projector.

With my last AVR upgrade she just eventually got tired of hearing me curse attmepting to get various switch devices to work for me. She finally just screamed at me, "ORDER A NEW ONE RIGHT NOW ONLINE!!!!!" Interesting on that one, because two days later when I actually ordered it, she tried to imply that she never made the statement. For me the price paid was bargain compared to the frustrations I had experienced.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Heres another one that I have personal experience with.

Its a self imposed requirement that I have to be able to hit 120db on that Finding Nemo glass tapping scene ( since my buddy can hit it you know ). Since I can only hit 116db I just HAVE to have that 4th subwoofer..aint no ways around it.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/0

With my last AVR upgrade she just eventually got tired of hearing me curse attmepting to get various switch devices to work for me. She finally just screamed at me, "ORDER A NEW ONE RIGHT NOW ONLINE!!!!!" Interesting on that one, because two days later when I actually ordered it, she tried to imply that she never made the statement. For me the price paid was bargain compared to the frustrations I had experienced.

I'm buying a new reciever for exaclty this reason. The digital inputs are giving me trouble and there is NO WAY I'm going to send it in for repair if I can leverage this into an upgrade. So, the workaround is to cycle the power 3 times, which has a 90% success rate, however, after she performed this proceedure exactly twice, she was begging me to replace the reciever. "No problem, babe. I'll look into a replacement right away."

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Nice dthree.. I actually surprised her a little. I only spent $900, our previous AVR cost $2K-ish 6 years ago.
She agrees that the new one sounds better on music than the previous AVR as a bonus. The projetcor is being the hardest sell ever, I can agree as we are really happy still with the existing projector.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.