AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Amazon

Coupon: 5OFFARKM

Demo for PC/360/PS3 to be released on Thurs. This $5 coupon brings the price down to $39.99 (with free shipping), cheapest price on the net. Good thing about Amazon is if the demo sucks you can always cancel before it ships.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
That's cool. I'm actually fairly excited for this. I didn't care about it a year ago, but the previews look pretty neat. A dungeon-crawling beat-em-up Batman game with all the modern HD goodies. If the fighting is smooth, it should be fun.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also- it's a Microsoft for Windows Live Game so it uses Xbox 360 controller and will offer the same achievements as the 360 version(Live games do).

The Amazon pre-order also includes an exclusive 16 page comic book as well.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Anyone have their DRM decoder handy? Looks like Warner uses Securom7 (don't think its phone home kind). Eidos used the same but they got bought by Square and the only thing I could find on Last Remnant is some Steam protection.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Securom is OK if it's handled well by the publisher. I'm playing Tomb Raider Underworld (also released by Warner), and recently finished TR Anniversary, and they were two of the least-intrusive DRMed games I've played. The only thing that upsets me is mandatory registration and limited installs.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/16944725

Also- it's a Microsoft for Windows Live Game so it uses Xbox 360 controller and will offer the same achievements as the 360 version(Live games do).

The Amazon pre-order also includes an exclusive 16 page comic book as well.

Games for Windows Live, a terrible service actually meant to consolifiy the PC gaming market. Also, not all GFWL titles offer achievements as a rule.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawn /forum/post/16949197

Games for Windows Live, a terrible service actually meant to consolifiy the PC gaming market. Also, not all GFWL titles offer achievements as a rule.

There's nothing wrong with GfWL- yes, they have a lot of kinks to work out of it, but when they do it should be much better (coincidently GfWL 3.0 came out today). Here's an interesting article about some of its upcoming features to be implemented under Win7 (take note of the new Dx11 features). Yes, the whole nature of the "Live" addition to the "MS Games for Windows" title usually means it has achievements.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I like Games for Windows Live. I like it a lot. The implementation on Dawn of War 2 was pretty nonintrusive and I found it adds a lot of value.

Games for Windows doesn't necessarily have Achievements, but Games for Windows Live does.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could this game be one of the first worthwhile games with PhysX support? (not many of those). Both the demo and the full game offers full PhysX multi-GPU support. Nvidia is really trying to implement this feature into their games now, along with 3D support.

If the game is any good I'm tempted to pick up a cheap secondary card to throw in my setup, but I realize with my 295 in here it would hardly matter much. I guess I'll wait for the Dx11 cards to arrive and when they do I'll upgrade and use my 295 as the PhysX GPU- that will do.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/16952122

Could this game be one of the first worthwhile games with PhysX support? (not many of those). Both the demo and the full game offers full PhysX multi-GPU support. Nvidia is really trying to implement this feature into their games now, along with 3D support.

If the game is any good I'm tempted to pick up a cheap secondary card to throw in my setup, but I realize with my 295 in here it would hardly matter much. I guess I'll wait for the Dx11 cards to arrive and when they do I'll upgrade and use my 295 as the PhysX GPU- that will do.

I did not know that this game uses PhysX. That should make things a bit more interesting.

A dedicated GTX 295 will certainly handle PhysX tasks with no problems, but it seems to be a highly unjustified excess of heat and power consumption (even though only one of its GPUs will be used). I recently added a low-power 9800GT for PhysX, and it is doing its job well for the very few PhysX enabled games that I have.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/16952677

I did not know that this game uses PhysX. That should make things a bit more interesting.
Pushed back to Sept 15th

The game is based completely off the UT3 engine, that's why it offers PhysX support. Bioshock 2 should offer it as well.

I find it odd they need to push a game back to "add a feature" which the engine supported to begin with. What a load of BS. Just another excuse to delay the PC version, and to focus attention on the console versions. Not like I wasn't expecting it though. At least I have my order locked in at Amazon. If the demo sucks I'll still cancel.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
From a visual standpoint, Unreal Engine 3 does seem to be a natural for this game. I hope the use of it also means a very good implementation of EFX or EAX 5.0 audio.

The delay is annoying. It now seems that PC gamers always get shafted in one way or another. Considering how console-centric developers have gotten, we are lucky to even get a PC version of this game.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/16954728

The delay is annoying. It now seems that PC gamers always get shafted in one way or another. Considering how console-centric developers have gotten, we are lucky to even get a PC version of this game.

In some cases its the console pple that get shafted with inferior graphics and game play. So sell as many console versions as possible before they released the PC version so not to shame the console version...

But then if the PC version is nothing more then a direct console port the we PC gamers get shafted in every direction

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
From other game sites they are coming to the conclusion that PC games are delayed from console releases so the rampent pirating doesn't superceed potential console sales. I tend to believe this theory.

GFWL could be good if done right. It could very well be the most done wrong application I've used in years.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I had a chance to play a little.

I really like the combat system. The Xbox 360 controller is fully supported as expected.

For PhysX, there is a "normal" mode for the recommended use with a GTX 260 and above, and a "high" mode for the recommended use with a 9800 GTX and above dedicated for PhysX. My frame-rate took a large hit (from the usual solid 60fps to the low 40s during combat) when I used my GTX 285 for PhysX in "normal" mode. Offloading it to a 9800 GT seemed to have helped a lot. Therefore, having a separate card for PhysX obviously helps if you aren't running beefy cards in SLI.

The PhysX effects are neat as usual, but it is annoying when single GPU users get a huge performance hit just because a few particles are flying after punching a wall.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker /forum/post/16957547

In some cases its the console pple that get shafted with inferior graphics and game play. So sell as many console versions as possible before they released the PC version so not to shame the console version...

But then if the PC version is nothing more then a direct console port the we PC gamers get shafted in every direction

That's a lot of shafts...

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan /forum/post/16959938

That's a lot of shafts...

I could have replaced "shaft" by saying Ben Dover....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.