AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the San Francisco bay area where with one outdoor Winegard Antenna on a 10ft pole in my back yard facing SF, I can get all the OTA channels.

There's one house in my neighborhood that has 5 outdoor antennas mounted on the roof. 3 cascaded on one pole, and another 2 on another pole. All pretty much facing the same direction. I am slightly baffled as to why you would need 5. Assuming they have 5 room that need the OTA signal, can't they just get a splitter? Sure you'll cut the signal strength somewhat, but it's still very watchable.

Granted, the Antenna seems to be put up before the digital TV transmission, so perhaps 5 antenna would give you less snow in the analog world. But it just seems strange, given that the transmission towers are 40 miles away in the same direction.

Now I just need to convince my wife that I need a 2ND antenna! (Look honey, they have 5!!)

·
Banned
397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgoose /forum/post/14302736

3 cascaded on one pole, and another 2 on another pole.

Do the two poles always face the same direction? Perhaps one pole is for the bottom floor, and the second pole is for the top floor, and each faces a different way to tune-in different cities.

Here's one possibility for one of the poles:

- VHF-lo

- VHF-hi

- UHF

The second pole might have:

- VHF (all)

- UHF

·
Registered
877 Posts
Why not just go ask the neighbor?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Wouldn't this thread be more appropriate and get better results in the HDTV Technical forum?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualOTAer /forum/post/14302989

Can you post a photo of his antennas without causing a neighborhood war?

I found it on google maps street view, but it doesn't show it that well. I'll try to take a picture later.

·
Registered
300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4yqt /forum/post/14306602

Sounds like my place! Perhaps one antenna per TV set. Nothing wrong with that. Better than splitting one antenna to multiple sets. Are you sure they are TV antennas? It could be a HAM radio operator ;-) 73

That was what I was thinking, OM. Although, I'd expect at least some of them to look unlike TV antennas (vertically-oriented yagis, discones, verticals, or whatever). It'd be kinda boring to use 5 combo TV antennas for all your VHF/UHF ham work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts