AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5 Projectors for Your Home Theater

By Zachary Worden
Whether you are looking for top-notch clarity or affordable entertainment, these 5 projectors are worth keeping in mind when choosing your equipment.

Home theaters, real home theaters, are built around a big screen, not a puny flat panel TV, and those big screens need a high-performance projector to make them shine. The market is loaded with projectors of all types, from pocket-sized pico projectors primarily for business or gaming to tank-sized large venue projectors. In between are DLP, LCoS and LCD projectors for home theater use.

Home theater projectors vary widely in size, price and application. Some are designed specifically for ambient light situations, while others only look good in completely dark rooms. Many now are 3D-enabled, so you can get an experience just like that in a commercial theaterwithout the crowds, bad seats and $20 buckets of stale popcorn. Some projectors are perfect for DIY projects, while others will perform best when professionally installed and calibrated.

Anyone who has ever looked into home theaters knows that there is a lot involved. Researching every aspect of a theater can be exhausting, so Electronic House has compiled some of the latest projectors to remember for your next home theater project. These projectors provide something for everyone, whether you want 3D viewing, affordability, brightness, or have other unique demands.

Click here to continue.

·
Registered
446 Posts
*Yawn*

More advertisement disguised as an article from AVS. It's sad that you link to these pieces of propaganda. My Pioneer flat panel PRO101FD blows away any consumer projector as far as color depth, clarity, and especially black level. And as long as you sit close enough according to THX recommendations, your eyes don't need a bigger screen.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect /forum/post/20813354

*Yawn*

More advertisement disguised as an article from AVS. It's sad that you link to these pieces of propaganda. My Pioneer flat panel PRO101FD blows away any consumer projector as far as color depth, clarity, and especially black level. And as long as you sit close enough according to THX recommendations, your eyes don't need a bigger screen.

True that your Pioneer has a better picture than a projector but there is no substitute for a 120" screen no matter how close you sit to your tv.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts

Quote:

*Yawn*

And as long as you sit close enough according to THX recommendations, your eyes don't need a bigger screen.

Works fine when your little picture is matched by some itty bitty little white cube speakers.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

Quote:

*Yawn*

I believe THX recommendation is for screen >50. Trust me, I try. I had both a 55" plasma, and a 110" PJ screen. Even if I sit 6 ft away from my 55" plasma, it does not have the same effect as I sit 13" away from the 110" PJ screen.

Seriously, if cone of vision is all it matters, then your 23" or 25" PC monitor is all you need with that 1-1.5 ft viewing distance.

·
Registered
290 Posts

Quote:

*Yawn*

front projection isn't a substitute for a tv nor vice versa. you're creating fanboyism out of thin air. good job.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btiltman
Watching a movie on a tv is like watching a movie on a tv. Watching a movie on a projector is like being at the movies.
True that.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I would certainly agree that this list is not the premier, go-to list as far as projectors go, especially since one of the cheapest ones cost $8,000. There are far more models that offer better value than an $8,000 JVC that most people do nothing but complain about. But the article was right about the projector and screen being the better theater-like experience. Seeing as how that's kinda what its like when you go to a cinema.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth
I would certainly agree that this list is not the premier, go-to list as far as projectors go, especially since one of the cheapest ones cost $8,000. There are far more models that offer better value than an $8,000 JVC that most people do nothing but complain about. But the article was right about the projector and screen being the better theater-like experience. Seeing as how that's kinda what its like when you go to a cinema.
HuH? I have an Epson 8700 and it is one of the best values and PQ for a front projector under 5K. I only have a 100 in screen but it is amazing. Not quite plasma Wow but when people walk into my living room they all say WOW. Girls may say its not about size but we all know it is

Ohh and my 8700 is the only display device (Besides this computer screen) in my house and I watch a whole lot of Dish LoL

·
Banned
174 Posts
Funny that they have both the JVC and Wolf since they are both the same light engine. Probably a little diversity with a product in the $1,500 - $8,000 gap would certainly help. That Epson 8700ub is surely worth mentioning, and how about an LED like the Vango or Runco. This is kind of a dumb list.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I love my 51' 3D Plasma.. but when I am in the mood for a real theater I love my my Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8700 UB on a 130" screen (manual for now) with an Onkyo THX receiver taking care of the 7.1 sound

Most projector owner know that nothing is nicer then watching a movies in the comfort of ones own home.

this is my set up before the black out curtains many more tweeks to come

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HRAD2vQFIw

·
Registered
122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/20814695

Pfft...my movie theater has a Pioneer flat panel PRO101FD. There IS nothing better.

because you don't know (or want to ignore ) projector with dedicated room for home theater

I have both a plasma and a projector

there is nothing like watching TV or a games on a plasma

but when it comes to movies the plasma can't be compare to projector.

the pictures of a projector is 10 times better when it comes to watch a movies

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btiltman /forum/post/20814629

Watching a movie on a tv is like watching a movie on a tv. Watching a movie on a projector is like being at the movies.

Very true I'd love to say that to my friends but that would be bragging
but I think I've found my new signature!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I won't sit here and knock plasma for what it is. Had a Pioneer Elite 60". Was the best "small screen TV" I've ever seen. It really is nice to watch, till you measured the wattage it was using (355 watts) and heat it was putting off! Sorry to say I've progressed into LEED in home and moved laterally into a 55" HX929 XBR (179 watts) that is close enough for the HD TV programming we watch. When I want big, there is no substitute (except for those that have the room for bigger!) than my dedicated theater with a 133" 2.35:1 side masking screen/Sony 90ES/Lens combo. Absolutely the best image i have seen in 2D, 3D is, well 3D. No more, "why are there bars on the top and bottom if it's HD" questions. I love the look on 1st timers when I give them the before (2:35 w/ top/bottom bars) and then automate the screen and anamorphic lens and the image jumps in size!

Greg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.