AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, $5 rabbit ears. Those crappy ones from k-mart. I get most of what I want from them. My tvfool is here
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9e74503c20cfd0

I cant get 69.1 unless i tweak the ears just right.

Anyway, I'll ask my question first then provide some details on what i'm doing....

I want an attic antenna, vhf/uhf, not too expensive. What should I replace my ears with? Cable run would be about 50'.

I currently use a HD Homerun connected to basic free cable. The HDHR is in the basement and works fine. Rabbit ears connected in the basement is useless. I want to reconfigure the HDHR for OTA, not QAM or add another HDHR. Sooo, a cable for the antenna from the attic to the basement where I can then connect to the LAN for the HDHR.

I'm using MythTV with a dedicated backend and two front end only systems.

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noo /forum/post/20884733

Yup, $5 rabbit ears. Those crappy ones from k-mart. I get most of what I want from them. My tvfool is here
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9e74503c20cfd0

I cant get 69.1 unless i tweak the ears just right.

Anyway, I'll ask my question first then provide some details on what i'm doing....

I want an attic antenna, vhf/uhf, not too expensive. What should I replace my ears with? Cable run would be about 50'.

I currently use a HD Homerun connected to basic free cable. The HDHR is in the basement and works fine. Rabbit ears connected in the basement is useless. I want to reconfigure the HDHR for OTA, not QAM or add another HDHR. Sooo, a cable for the antenna from the attic to the basement where I can then connect to the LAN for the HDHR.

I'm using MythTV with a dedicated backend and two front end only systems.

Thanks!

You're problem is that the channel you want is 110 degress of all the others. Not sure what you mean by "ears" ears are for VHF. So is your antenna just ears or ears with a loop? If just ears you could just get a set of rabbit ears with the loop and see if that helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ears with a loop is what I have. Looking to maybe feed into the HDHR with an attic antenna. I figure if the ears with a loop sort of gets a signal then a basic antenna in the attic should do the trick.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Attic:

You may need two VHF/UHF antennas connected together with a signal combiner; one facing 20° and the other one 128° compass direction. Probably something like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Antennacraft-8...3OK/ref=sr_1_1

Attic reception is impossible to predict.

Re: your existing rabbit ear/loop antenna: They are not very directional, so you may be able to find a hot spot for it where it will pick up all the channels of interest without having to move it. First, get it as far away from your TV and other electronics as possible. If the coax is really short, add a longer one, so you can move it about the room to find a reception hot spot. If the coax is hard wired, add an additional length of coax using a barrel splice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.