AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already own a TH-50PX77U and thoroughly enjoy it. I am looking to purchase a 1080P 50" and am looking for recommendations.

·
Registered
673 Posts
depends on how much you want to spend, and whether you want to get an 08 closeout deal or wait till spring and get the 09 models.

·
Registered
164 Posts

What's wrong with him adding another to that list?

Seriously though. Let's see:

PZ80= Lowest priced 1080p Panny plasma. From what I understand, basically a no frills 1080p set. Not that there's anything wrong with that either.

PZ85= Next step up and includes a PC input. I think it might have a slightly higher contrast ratio

PZ800U= Next step gets you THX certification and better processing (i.e. better black levels). Better speakers too I believe.

PZ850U=Top of the line model. One piece glass panel that goes all the way to the edge of the panel (I think the 800U has this too). Swivel stand, best speakers. Best contrast ratio. Highest price!

Those are your choices. Now it's up to you to decide.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek533 /forum/post/15546473

PZ80= Lowest priced 1080p Panny plasma. From what I understand, basically a no frills 1080p set. Not that there's anything wrong with that either.

PZ85= Next step up and includes a PC input. I think it might have a slightly higher contrast ratio

PZ800U= Next step gets you THX certification and better processing (i.e. better black levels). Better speakers too I believe.

PZ850U=Top of the line model. One piece glass panel that goes all the way to the edge of the panel (I think the 800U has this too). Swivel stand, best speakers. Best contrast ratio. Highest price!

Not true.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek533 /forum/post/15546473

The only units worth having are the 800/850 series. The 80/85 are junk

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/15548925

Yes the 800/850's are best but the 80/85's are certainly not junk unless maybe you're an obsessed videophile. My bedroom 42" 85U puts out a beautiful picture with the limited controls it has. And I'm getting a 50" 850U for the living room. Comes down to how much you want to spend and the features/controls you want. Chances are you'll like anything in the PZ line unless, like I said, your an obsessed videophile and/or start to read every single post in every panasonic plasma thread here.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Quote:

Oh, please! That is such a snobish comment. Properly set up the 80/85s are fine sets. If the additional features like PC inputs, THX cert., additional inputs, increased contrast (questionable as to value after set-up), aren't needed, the 80/85 offer picture quality the matches the 800/850 sets.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH /forum/post/15549709

Yes the 800/850's are best but the 80/85's are certainly not junk unless maybe you're an obsessed videophile.

"Obsessed videophile." Where? Here at AVS? No way!

Hard (for me) to understand why anyone would want to replace a fairly recent 50-inch plasma with another 50-inch plasma. Maybe I'm just not obsessive enough.

Now, a BIGGER display.... that, I could see.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkammer /forum/post/15550240

Oh, please! That is such a snobish comment. Properly set up the 80/85s are fine sets. If the additional features like PC inputs, THX cert., additional inputs, increased contrast (questionable as to value after set-up), aren't needed, the 80/85 offer picture quality the matches the 800/850 sets.

the key question is if the additional features are worth what they cost. Which is alot.

most people just want a good looking HDTV, and both the PX80 and PZ80/85 look great, properly setup.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Why did i think the PZ800/850u properly handle 24fps where the 80/85 don't.

Are the 80/85 120hz?

Please correct me if i'm wrong, cause i just recommended the 800u to a friend, who could probably get away w/ the cheaper units. He is no videofile.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i /forum/post/15551616

Why did i think the PZ800/850u properly handle 24fps where the 80/85 don't.

Are the 80/85 120hz?

Please correct me if i'm wrong, cause i just recommended the 800u to a friend, who could probably get away w/ the cheaper units. He is no videofile.

80/85 do 480hz....lcd has nothing on plasma in this area

I'm not a videophile, to me those are good enough and look close enough to the 800/850 in the stores anyway. I don't see what makes the 800/850 worth the extra $500 to $1000 they cost over the others. just my 2 cents though.

·
Registered
292 Posts

Quote:

Professional Explanation is needed for such a bold statement.

You will probably say do a "Search" on AVS(USUAL RESPONSE) but put up or forever hold your peace.
Remember, MOST Consumers are looking for a great picture not a "loaded omelet" with features they will never use nor understand.

I can honestly say that my 80 series Panasonic looks almost as good as my Professionally calibrated (Craig rounds) Mitsubishi.

It looks good enough out of the box that I will not pay big money for a professional calibration.

After my break-in period, I will Calibrate myself without going into the service menu using a Calibration Disk.

Doing this type of Calibration is unusual for most Consumers so I have a little videophile in me.

·
Registered
173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpniner /forum/post/15551674

80/85 do 480hz....lcd has nothing on plasma in this area

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the 480Hz number Panny is throwing out on the 2008 line is subfield drive. It is not to be confused with LCD's 120Hz refresh rate which directly translates to frames per second. The end result of having 480Hz subfield drive includes a supposed improvement in motion picture resolution, whereas the entire goal of LCD's 120Hz refresh rate is to improve motion picture resolution. Your average plasma is still better at this than your average 120Hz LCD, but that's simply a strength of plasma display panel technology and why, as a sports fan, I chose plasma over LCD. I can deal with ghosting trails on my laptop's mouse cursor. I can not deal with them on my quarterback's "Hail Mary" to the end zone with time expiring.

That said, those LCD's with defeatable missing frame interpolation can use their 120Hz feature to do 5:5 pulldown with 24fps material (mostly film). This helps eliminate the judder introduced by the more traditional 3:2 pulldown on 60Hz televisions. Panny's 800 and 850 lines can change their refresh rates from 60Hz to 48Hz when 24fps material is detected, allowing for 2:2 pulldown. That is supposed to accomplish the same goal of judder elimination by ensuring that some frames are not left on screen for longer than others. The 80 and 85 lines do not have this feature, and so anyone who watches a lot of movies and is susceptible to judder should take a heightened interest in the 800 and 850 lines.

I own a 750, and this is the one feature I wish I had waited another year for.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackman1 /forum/post/15551785

Professional Explanation is needed for such a bold statement.

You will probably say do a "Search" on AVS(USUAL RESPONSE) but put up or forever hold your peace.
Remember, MOST Consumers are looking for a great picture not a "loaded omelet" with features they will never use nor understand.

I can honestly say that my 80 series Panasonic looks almost as good as my Professionally calibrated (Craig rounds) Mitsubishi.

It looks good enough out of the box that I will not pay big money for a professional calibration.

After my break-in period, I will Calibrate myself without going into the service menu using a Calibration Disk.

Doing this type of Calibration is unusual for most Consumers so I have a little videophile in me.

Well said.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts