AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
1,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary cornell /forum/post/0

Sitting 6' away you see maximum resolution, i'd like to know how much closer you can sit and not see pixel structure.

I have seen the Pio Pro FHD1 at 2 feet distance, and the thing looked smooth as silk, no pixels where visible.

· Registered
1,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary cornell /forum/post/0

At 2', that must be where you and screen become 1.

don't believe it when people say 1080p and 1920x1080p resolution does not matter, it does, no matter how close or far you are sitting.

· Registered
5,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertec /forum/post/0

don't believe it when people say 1080p and 1920x1080p resolution does not matter, it does, no matter how close or far you are sitting.

Wrong!

· Registered
3,315 Posts
I can get closer than 3ft on my 50" 500u and I don't notice any SDE.

· Registered
1,393 Posts
I see there are allot of people with shoddy eyesight in this forum, every review that I have read says you can see a difference, the closer you are it is more obvious, and the farther you are it becomes less obvious, but obvious it is, there is not one review that I have seen that states it otherwise, I have done this test myself at my local Magnolia, and trust me there is a difference between 1080p resolution and 720p resolution, are you people trying to tell me that you can not see the difference when you do the same to your computer screen, either you are blind or lying to yourself.

· Registered
945 Posts
I was staring at the Pioneer 50" 1080P TV (the one that's like $8000 bucks or whatever) for about 20 minutes today at the store. Great looking television. Seriously, it was nice. But yet I just couldn't see myself replacing my 50" Panny Plasma for the added resolution. Of course I sit 10 feet away from MY TV. Just hard to justify the added cost. However, I am considering moving to 60" this year and my future purchases are likely to require 1080P.

· Registered
74 Posts
1080 resolution debate:

Physics proves that the extra pixels are not detectable from X distance for X size screen. Unless you have super-vision (granted many people have better than 20/20, especially those involved in high-end video equipment), this holds true.

The bigger difference IMO is the video processing. Take a 1080p source and show it on a 1080p panel in a dot-by-dot, 1:1 pixel mapping situation and your image quality is gonna skyrocket. Take that same 1080p source and show it on a 768p panel and while it'll still look awesome, the downscaling and overscan does have an effect. So the advantages of a 1080 panel are more than just extra pixels, eliminating another processing step matters alot. If you take the original source and professionally remaster it to 768p and display it dot-by-dot, the difference between the panels would shrink dramatically IMO.

I believe this is a big part of the huge 1080 debate, not just straight X pixels at Y distance.

· Registered
100 Posts

Quote:

I see there are allot of people with shoddy eyesight in this forum, every review that I have read says you can see a difference, the closer you are it is more obvious, and the farther you are it becomes less obvious, but obvious it is, there is not one review that I have seen that states it otherwise, I have done this test myself at my local Magnolia, and trust me there is a difference between 1080p resolution and 720p resolution, are you people trying to tell me that you can not see the difference when you do the same to your computer screen, either you are blind or lying to yourself.

True, however at 8.5' and a 50" screen you're not going to see a difference. If you get a few feet closer and and have good eyes it should help.

I really think a lot of other factors make a picture good before resolution becomes an issue (between 720 and 1080)..

Also, it's worth noting that the "p" in 1080p has nothing to do with it, it's 1080 i or p that you'll notice a difference at close distance.

· Registered
100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Priestley /forum/post/0

So does that mean then that because there is considerably more material that is not 1080P, that we should just hold off? Seems like an argument against 1080P.

In terms of buying for the future, I believe all BD and HD-DVDs are sourced (encoded) at 1080 lines of rez. So if that is what you want to prepare for, it will be a factor. It's just not the greatest factor in my view.

I have a 720p Fujitsu 50" PDP. Believe me, the color accuracy, contrast and internal processing have far more to do with getting good PQ than the resolution.

· Registered
351 Posts

Quote:

So wrong my head exploded. You have bacteria crawling all over your body that you cant see right now. Does it matter cause you know its in your head? Yeah, but you cant see it.

· Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Priestley /forum/post/0

So does that mean then that because there is considerably more material that is not 1080P, that we should just hold off? Seems like an argument against 1080P.

it all depends if you want to spend the extra thousand or more for 1080p rather than 720p. i look at it like this, and i think it is a pretty good argument:

if you buy a 1080p plasma today, there is NO broadcasting content that can take advantage of it, unless you are buying a blu-ray or hd-dvd player with it. you can get a 720p plasma right now, and when the prices drop dramatically for the 1080p plasmas (which they will this year since 1080p plasmas wll become abundant), then you can also get a 1080p in a year and have two plasmas for what you would have spent on ONE 1080p plasma right now. my friend from work dished out $4800 for a 50" 1080p pioneer plasma...i found that an obscene amount of money considering he can only use it for his playstation3, and even that only has a few games at 1080p, the rest being 720p resolution. in one year, more games will be available at 1080p, and by that time, the same tv will probably cost $3000, possibly less.

so again, my argument is based on logic. why buy 1080p today, when you will end up spending thousands more on it? get yourself a 720p, wait a year, and then get a 1080p also, and you will have two nice plasmas in one year for roughly the same price you would have spent on one today. any flaws in my reasoning? i'd like to hear from people about this to hear their opinions...

· Registered
15,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedrows /forum/post/0

it all depends if you want to spend the extra thousand or more for 1080p rather than 720p. i look at it like this, and i think it is a pretty good argument:

if you buy a 1080p plasma today, there is NO broadcasting content that can take advantage of it, unless you are buying a blu-ray or hd-dvd player with it. i'd like to hear from people about this to hear their opinions...

Many of us here are indeed wishing for a display that can reproduce all the resolution of the new HD film formats. So that's a pretty big motivation on it's own.

Another is pixel structure. The 1080p models have a finer pixel structure that, to my eyes, makes for a smoother looking image at the distances I like to watch from. I find even regular DVDs benefit from this effect.

A good case can always be made for waiting in this era of price declines. But then it can pretty much always be made. The question then is "when do you want to start enjoying a 1080p display?" For quite a few people the answer is "now." For which they are willing to pay.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.