AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My first foray into HDTV will be a 50" RPTV for the whole family to enjoy. I do want to go with 1080P. We watch a lot of stuff that is available in HD and also quite a bit that is only available in SD. Also we watch quite a few SD DVD's on a generic pioneer 480i DVD player.

I am no videophile but I think I am more sensitive to digital artifacts such as macroblocking, screen door effect, jaggy transitions etc than I am to absolute color accuracy.

I think I have narrowed it down to samsung HLS 5087 vs sony kds50 a2000. Which of these two would you vote for. Is there something else I should be looking at instead?

Thanks for humoring a newbie,

Loren Jones

·
Registered
341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenmjones /forum/post/0

Hi,

My first foray into HDTV will be a 50" RPTV for the whole family to enjoy. I do want to go with 1080P. We watch a lot of stuff that is available in HD and also quite a bit that is only available in SD. Also we watch quite a few SD DVD's on a generic pioneer 480i DVD player.

I am no videophile but I think I am more sensitive to digital artifacts such as macroblocking, screen door effect, jaggy transitions etc than I am to absolute color accuracy.

I think I have narrowed it down to samsung HLS 5087 vs sony kds50 a2000. Which of these two would you vote for. Is there something else I should be looking at instead?

Thanks for humoring a newbie,

Loren Jones

Hi, Loren. I also was in the market for a new HD display a few months back. I was looking at both the samsung and sony. Also the mitsubishi. After lots of reading and in person viewing and tests. I decided on the Sony A2000. I have not looked back since. I have had 0 problems with it. I have calibrated my A2000 with Avia and other testing material and the picture looks great.

I feel that the new 1080p displays do a great job of video processing. The A2000 is no exception. Alot of the faults people are seeing in the picture is due to the signal source and not the displays themselves. So if you have a solid signal you should have a very nice picture, regardless of which display you choose.

In closing, I feel that the A2000 overall picture performance is far better than any other display in this price range. Good luck.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
The Sony and the Samsung are the 2 most popular displays on the forum. Both are excellent, and you can't go wrong with either (as long as you don't see rainbows with DLP technology -- only about 10% of people do). Some reviews rate Sony LCOS better, and others (including the most recent issue of Home Theater) rate Samsung DLP better. Neither is "far better" than the other. Go to several stores, see which features you want, and see which looks best to your eyes. Asking strangers which they prefer is not always the best approach since all that matters is which you prefer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the input. I understand that other people's opinions on a piece of equipment don't matter so much; in the end it is what I see that I have to be happy with. I just wanted a reality check that 1)One of these sets didn't have some major problem I hadn't heard about, and 2)That I wasn't missing some other display that was light years better for my intended use.

Thanks again.

Loren Jones

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.