AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm moving to a small apartment and I'm using this as an excuse to buy some new audio gear - YAY!

I'll be using my system 50/50 music and movies, my focus is more toward crisp music detail than power, I want to be able to appreciate the sound at pretty low levels.

So I'm wondering what receiver to go for. I would like the luxury of 3x HDMi-in switching so I was looking at the HK 254, but I'm wondering if my money ($500) would be better spent elsewhere considering my requirements.

I'm going to be using small speakers, probably HTD Middy's x4 and the HTD center. If I go for a sub it will be a acoustech PA-120.

Joel

·
Registered
487 Posts
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K

Denon AVR 1709 (or 1909 for $50 over your budget)

Onkyo TX-SR606 (or 706 for $50 over your budget)

There's also options from Harman Kardon which I'm not familiar with.

If you want to appreciate the sound at low levels, you'll want to look for a receiver with either Audyssey Dynamic EQ or THX Loudness plus. Both of them will raise the levels of the surrounds and bass to compensate for listening levels below reference. Denon and Onkyo both should have them. Don't think Pioneer does.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewS99 /forum/post/15426307

If you want to appreciate the sound at low levels, you'll want to look for a receiver with either Audyssey Dynamic EQ or THX Loudness plus. Both of them will raise the levels of the surrounds and bass to compensate for listening levels below reference. Denon and Onkyo both should have them. Don't think Pioneer does.

Thanks for this info, I didn't know about that feature

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think MCACC on the Pioneer might have an Audyssey Dynamic EQ equivalent called "Auto Level Volume Control".

EDIT: OOPS. That's the equivalent to Audyssey Dynamic Volume which keeps volume levels consistent - like when commercials are louder than a TV program. Still not sure if Pioneer has an MCACC equivalent or not.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard Marantz tends to give a 'warmer' sound where as the Denon and Onkyo tends to be 'brighter', anyone know where th HK's seem to sit on this scale?

I tend to play a lot of chill music, jazz, ambient, world etc. While I say that I want definition, I'm thinking that a 'warmer' sound would be better suited to these styles of music at lower volumes. Of course I understand it's all down to personal preference but I'd love to hear other people's views on this, or indeed read any good articles/guides if anyone can recommend.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all,

after further reading I went for the HK AVS-254 which I managed to get for $385 shipped and tax, great deal from Amazon. Seems that is has a pretty neutral sound and for that price it's a pretty amazing value, plus it sure does look pretty lol.

Now I still have to make my mind up on mini speakers, I am leaning toward HTD Level TWO FR/FL with their flat panel center and two middy in the back, not even decided if I'm going with a sub yet or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.