AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Music Lovers:

Any Recommendations on a good value Power Cable to run an Integrated Amp?

(Cambridge Audio 650A)

Thanks for your suggestions!

·
Registered
176 Posts
i use signal power cables. they came with my amps so i cannot tell you if they sound any better than any other cable.

i would also suggest ironlung jellyfish, it has many good reviews.

these people that are not into experimenting and trying new things-dont listen to them.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm /forum/post/19620812

these people that are not into experimenting and trying new things-dont listen to them.

This is called the "Audio Video SCIENCE" forum.

Science (from the Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge") is an enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the natural world .

Look it up .

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

Quote:

What exactly is a "new thing" with wire? Can you name some recent power wire developments that incease sound quality, and explain how it works?

I have an open mind, and am always willing to learn. You should try that sometime.

·
Registered
176 Posts
maybe more than you do, geek!

what do you know about it?

as far as this science thing posted above, i would comment on the idea that science can have both concrete, and theoretical ideas.

the simple factis that many hear differences and many do not. it is the ones that try to FORCE their ideas on others, that are the ones to look out for. they think they are right no matter what the real answers are.

so, he asked what were decent cords.. not if they made a difference.

and the fact is that monoprice cord almost caused a house fire in my theater. i would NOT call it a good cord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 /forum/post/19620920

What exactly is a "new thing" with wire? Can you name some recent power wire developments that incease sound quality, and explain how it works?

I have an open mind, and am always willing to learn. You should try that sometime.

twisted pair is somewhat new, isint it

it has measurable differences, and it has measurable differences to the things around it as well. shielding is probably a little older in design, but i would be willing to bet there are cables that have these features, and cables that do not, that in the end could VERY drastically change his system from picking up am radio stations to having exceedingly quiet sound.

for the record i equate these arguments to equal the ones made against hytech in that their anti reversion chambers make no difference in the engines power, either at peak or under the curve. and while there are no measureable differences, every car that has them is a consistent .2-.3 faster around a road course.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm /forum/post/19620942

the simple factis that many hear differences and many do not.

Have any evidence that there are those who really heard differences? Without that, it's not a fact.

Quote:
it is the ones that try to FORCE their ideas on others, that are the ones to look out for. they think they are right no matter what the real answers are.

Well then, stop trying to force your ideas on others who actually know what the real answers are.

Quote:
and the fact is that monoprice cord almost caused a house fire in my theater. i would NOT call it a good cord.

You actually bought a cable from Monoprice? Now you are just making things up. Why should anyone believe a thing you say?

Quote:
twisted pair is somewhat new, isint it

No. Not even close.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 /forum/post/19621004

Have any evidence that there are those who really heard differences? Without that, it's not a fact.

Well then, stop trying to force your ideas on others who actually know what the real answers are.

You actually bought a cable from Monoprice? Now you are just making things up. Why should anyone believe a thing you say?

No. Not even close.

your version of new and mine are different people still do not use it where it is required. that means the technology is still new to many people. the funny part is that the person who discovered it, discovered many things. and i would be quite sure that he did not require a double blind a/b test to determine that there was a difference between the twisted and untwisted pair!

and yes, i did have a cheap 14g power cable in my system. it melted and shorted. i think too much power.. anyways i now have a 10g cable and it does not get warm to the touch so i think in this case a proper power cord was verymuch an important thing in the sound quality (and safety) of my home

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

Quote:

i use signal power cables. they came with my amps so i cannot tell you if they sound any better than any other cable.

i would also suggest ironlung jellyfish, it has many good reviews.

That statement is really not true. We are into experimenting. Many experiments are a waste of time and $$$. The OP did not ask for a better sounding power cord. He asked for a good value power cord. It was just a guess that anyone looking to spend more than $20 for a power cord is seeking to gain something in sound quality by replacing the perfectly good factory power cord that came with the amp. Or replacing a misplaced stock cord with an expensive replacement. Read this article. Make sure you read the entire article.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...s-12-2004.html

If these expensive power cords do make a difference. What about all the other inadequate wiring in the rest of your house? Never mind the other 50 miles of power cabling between your home and the power company that you have not touched? It's going to get really expensive ripping your entire house apart to replace every wire with magic wire. Never mind installing that 50 miles of magic wire between you and the power company. Oh, don't forget to do something about all those transformers and sub stations in the chain. You need to get rid of those to. Im glad it's winter and I have my boots on. The s--t's getting deep.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If a properly executed power cord influences my equipment, I wouldn't trust my equipment or it's power design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm /forum/post/19620942

Please share your experiences. I currently use the monoprice 12g power cables on all my amps without any hazards or problems so far.

Quote:
for the record i equate these arguments to equal the ones made against hytech in that their anti reversion chambers make no difference in the engines power, either at peak or under the curve. and while there are no measureable differences, every car that has them is a consistent .2-.3 faster around a road course.

0.2 seconds faster per lap on a road course? Their are many variances that could cause a 0.2 difference on a race track. There are standards for car measurements that try to mitigate all environmental and other variables...

·
Registered
2,623 Posts

maybe more than you do, geek!

The simple fact is that many hear differences and many do not. It is the ones that try to FORCE their ideas on others, that are the ones to look out for. They think they are right no matter what the real answers are.

So, he asked what were decent cords. Not if they made a difference.

And the fact is that Monoprice cord almost caused a house fire in my theater, I would NOT call it a good cord.

Twisted pair is somewhat new, isn't it?

It has measurable differences, and it has measurable differences to the things around it as well. Shielding is probably a little older in design, but I would be willing to bet there are cables that have these features, and cables that do not, that in the end could VERY drastically change his system from picking up am radio stations to having exceedingly quiet sound.

For the record, I equate these arguments to equal the ones made against Hytech in that their anti reversion chambers make no difference in the engine's power, either at peak or under the curve. And while there are no measurable differences, every car that has them is a consistent .2-.3 faster around a road course.

(Quoted but I corrected all the errors in grammar and punctuation.)

I hate to inform you but twisted pair wiring is about 100 years old and shielded twisted pair cables are about 70 years old.

Since you do not understand what happens in an AC to DC power supply, naturally you would make the assumption that audible effects are created by a passive wire. Two things matter: Voltage drop as a function of wire resistance and current draw of the device under power. As long as the conductors are sufficient gauge, all is well. As properly filtered DC from the power supply has no frequency component, it does NOT insert any form of acoustical alteration of the recorded audio.

If you almost had a fire using a Monoprice or any other manufacturer's cable, there was either damage to the cable or it was undersized for the application.

There is also the real probability that the installer(you) did something inherently dangerous in the assembly.

As others have mentioned, the stock cables are quite satisfactory.

·
Registered
176 Posts
he said 50-70 on a power cord. i told him some cords that are in and around his price range that are nice cables.

for reference i build all my cables from scratch 12 and 10 guage cabling. its much nicer when your cables are built to length with nice ends that are not loose or shoddy.(or melt)

i have not gone power cable experimenting. i know some who have and have heard a difference. they are comparing 1000 dollar power cables tho. i would like to know who that is posting, has listened to a power cable test on a resolving system with 1000 dollar or more power cables and has NOT heard a difference. i will go ahead and tell you that i have not listened to any power cables that are known for their good sound in my system before. i have a/b ironlung cords in a full manley system, and know its benefits and weaknesses.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
"and yes, i did have a cheap 14g power cable in my system. it melted and shorted. i think too much power.. anyways i now have a 10g cable and it does not get warm to the touch so i think in this case a proper power cord was verymuch an important thing in the sound quality (and safety) of my home."

The problem was 100% your fault. Your home is wired with 14 awg romex on branch circuits or at the most, 12 awg. The max allowable current on 12 awg romex is 20 amps. The outlets are rated at 15 A max unless you use 20 amp dedicated outlets. These will NOT be in multiple locations such as room outlets but rather in a single outlet per branch circuit.

The device under power will be equipped with the appropriately sized power cable in order to achieve a UL and/or CSA rating. If you added any additional devices to the power cable aside from what it was intended to handle the sole issue is YOUR choice to overload the power cable AND the branch circuit wiring in the walls of your home. If you melted an actual 14 awg cable then you came real close to doing the same to the branch circuit wiring as well and the breaker should have tripped after about 5 minutes max.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Hey, jdjaye,

Are you sorry you asked yet?

Maybe you are the type who believes this power cord voodoo. In that case, go ahead and listen to johnzm and anyone else who comes along with their favorite brands of snake oil. Try 'em out and pick your favorite.

But if you're not a believer, or you don't know what to believe, then take to heart what datgai said: If changing a power cord changes the sound of a component, there is something seriously wrong with the design of that component. There is no other scientifically plausible explanation for such behavior.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm /forum/post/19621117

i know some who have and have heard a difference. they are comparing 1000 dollar power cables tho.

How do you know they heard differences? Sounds to me like you know some who claim to have heard differences, nothing more.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.