AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a sub-panel for my basement, and have been trying to figure out how big a sub-panel I need for the job. Talking to a guy at Menards and an electrical engineer friend of mine, they both said that 50 Amps would be plenty for my basement (and a whole lot easier to run from the main panel). Neither of these guys is into HT at all, and I don't know if they really understand the draw required for HT equipment (nor do I, for that matter). I went ahead and bought a 100Amp sub-panel, the breakers, and the wire to run a 50Amp line from the main breaker. But, before I do anything with all this, I want to double-check that I'll have enough juice. Here's what I will be running off the sub-panel:

6-8 recessed lights (cans)

10-15 std outlets

2 20 Amp dedicated circuits (Equipment and TV)

bar fridge

small tv (13")

pool table light

1 ground fault circuit (for bathroom)

small space heater (possibility - all depends on how well it heats

down there)

My current equipment:

Yamaha RXV-2095

Samson s700 amp

Panasonic A110 DVD

Sony Sat T-60 DirecTiVo

Sony 5-disk CD changer

JVC VCR

I plan to add a large RPTV (65" or so) and a multichannel amp (5 ch, 150-200W) in the future.

Taking the above into account, do you guys think 50Amps is sufficient?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm not an electrician, but I would say 50 amps is more than you will ever need unless you put a separate HVAC system in...even then it still might be enough.......

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just an amateur electrician but.

50 Amps is should be enough. My house is an older house and the Main Box is 100Amps. I have that one totally full and a 50Amp sub box that is totally full.

I used three 15 Amp circuits for my Theater. (on the 50Amp Box)

One circuit for my electronic equipment. One for my ground fault and normal electrical. Just make the first outlet from your box GF and the while line is . The last was for my 12 cans and dimmer switches.

Hope this example helps

P.s. I am at the drywalling stage right now. The electrical has been running fine for weeks now.

BD

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
Shag:

You may be a tad shy. Your lights could run 15 amps depending on the watts per light (a 15 amp circuit will handle 1980 watts.)

You're doing two 20 amp circuits for equipment. You've already placed 55 amps of breakers in the box (doesn't mean they'll all pull to create a full 50 amp load).

·
Registered
457 Posts
That space heater (if used) could easily draw 10-15 amps alone!

What size wire did you get? #6 is safe for about 55 amps. Also remember that if you are wiring your subpanel with 240 (3 insulated conductors), you can have up to 50 amps on each leg.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
If you're going to run a line, why not 100 amp? I put 150 in. Will I use it all? Nope. Will I be assured of having enough? Yup.

Sure wouldn't want to go back a second time.

Ted

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Another point is that the refrigerator is considered a large appliance according to the NEC, because they usually draw a lot of current. The code requires all large appliances (fridge, washing machine, electric range, etc.) to be on a dedicated circuit. A full size fridge can easily require a 30-amp circuit all to itself.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, lots of responses here.

Some thoughts:

-I'm running 2 20 Amp circuits purely for a "just-in-case" situation and to make sure my electronics have clean power. Even with all my current equipment going, plus an additional 5-channel amp, I don't think I could even max out a single 20 Amp circuit, much less 2.

-the fridge is just a small bar/dorm fridge, not a full-size fridge

-According to Dennis, a 15 Amp circuit can handle 1980 watts. The cans can't hold more than a 75 watt bulb. So, by that math, I could put 26 cans on one 15 amp circuit. Not going to do that, but that would indicate that I should have plenty of headroom.

-My entire 2100ft² house (not including the basement) runs off a 150Amp panel (the individual breaker ratings add up to way more than 150) - I would think my basement should be able to run off 1/3 of that.

-My understanding is that the size of the panel has no bearing on the wire size required for it. The only thing that dictates wire size is how much power you want going to the panel (and I've been told it doesn't need to meet the panel's listed amperage). The only reason I bought a 100 amp panel was for the extra breaker spaces.

-The primary reason I'm considering running a 50 amp line vs a bigger one is the ease of installation. I don't have to run this wire in a conduit, it's much easier to run, and it's considerably expensive.

Does anyone know the max pull of a 5 channel amp like the ATI1505/2505, Outlaw 750, Acurus 125x5/200x5?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Certainly an interesting discussion as I just put in a 100 amp sub. Part of the reason is that I don't know what the future will hold for my HT...think couch that runs on 220 and moves like an amusement ride (hey they have this type of thing already for HTs!).

I understand your point about needing more breakers and that is a good one. I didn't quite understand that if you only do 50 amp that you don't need a conduit raceway. I guess I just didn't realize that was a NEC thing. No doubt since you don't have conduit for your grounding that you have a ground wire running to ground your main panel to your sub panel. And you won't insert the screw in the sub-panel that ties the neutral to the ground (box).

Here is a nice chart I've found for wire sizes/max_cont_loads/raceway/etc.

http://www.mikeholt.com/free/poster.htm

It seems like the biggest problems are what all are you going to be turning on at the same time (initial load on things is high) and what else are you putting in your basement? i.e. when you press that magical Pronto Button.

Overall it sounds like you are in good shape. Good luck and be careful!!

Scott Fauque

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.