AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've spent many hours of eye blurring research on this and other sites. I've actually exhausted searches of anything I could think of that may have been posted and is relevant.

I've come down to two possible options for my 50" Plasma purchase:

Fujitsu P50XHA10US

Pioneer PDP-503CMX with Aurora TVP-1000+

I haven't found a comparison between the P50 and the 503CMX with the Aurora TVP-1000+ card installed.

1. I understand the scalar in the P50 is better than the 503CMX out of the box, but how do they compare when the TVP-1000+ is plugged in?

2. Has anyone looked at this comparison or have experience with the TVP-1000+?

One of my desires is to be able to power up the Plasma as a stand alone TV, which makes my wife's viewing easier, and seems possible with the TVP-1000+. It's a nice feature, though not absolutely necessary. Price is probably not a limiting factor.

I don't currently have an opportunity to check the displays for myself, but I will do so in the next few weeks before my actual purchase.

Any experience/suggestions/recommendations?

Ofer

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Well, that the TVP-1000+ isn't shipping yet makes it unlikely anybody's done any comparisons. See this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=tvp1000

The latest claim is it will start shipping in very limited quantities next week.

Note that the tuners included are not ATSC tuners but analog NTSC tuners. They claim a card with ATSC tuner will be out around the end of the year.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
We have another guy named Ofer... That is cool.

Doug is right, btw, we can't compare until the Aurora is out, in someone's Pioneer, etc.

·
23,039 Posts
Ofer, make sure you see each configuration displaying the type of

input you will be mostly watching. The P50 or any other plasma or

digital display does not "shine" when it comes to displaying "regular"

SD TV channels, especially satellite. Some people here have been

a disappointed with the quality of SD material.

You mentioned your wife, so you probably should bring her along

to evaluate also. :) It will be interesting to see how the new

Aurora card handles SD/satellite feeds. I just looked at the specs

and I didn't see ATSC, so I assume the card won't do OTA HDTV. So

as a standalone TV, you wil be limited to SD material: OTA, cable, or sat.

Unless the new Aurora card is a clunker (I doubt it), you can't go wrong

with either config when it comes to DVD or HDTV.

good luck

larry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I was in Oklahoma City two days ago and visited an Ultimate Electronics to check out the Plasmas there. They only had a 44" Fujitsu and they stopped selling Fujitsu all together. Based on the majority of SD programming I'll be watching and the fact that the TVP-1000+ has a tuner in it, I'll go with the Pioneer 503.

I checked out the Pioneer Elite at the shop and the picture was pretty nice. My wife was with me and she liked it as well. That's always the determining factor.

Now I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with the TVP-1000+ as soon as it comes out.

Thanks for the replies,

Ofer

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Oferc141

One of my desires is to be able to power up the Plasma as a stand alone TV, which makes my wife's viewing easier, and seems possible with the TVP-1000+. It's a nice feature, though not absolutely necessary.
You can achieve this with the P50 and programmable remote. On the advice of many forum members, I ordered the MX-500. This past weekend I programmed it so that the POWER button turns on all of the components and sets everything for TV/SAT viewing. Pushing POWER again turns everything off. I also have buttons prorammed to change all the settings for HD, SD, or DVD source. My S.O. loves it! She doesn't have to remember whether HD programs should be Video2 or Video4 on the plasma or how to change the input on the receiver from TV to DVD. Just push the labeled button for what you want to watch and sit back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.