AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in another thread that the 50WE610 does not officially support PC input via DVI .... Hitachi says the same thing about their V500 line, but I know that some folks have been able to coax decent resolution from that set.

Has anyone actually tried to connect a PC to the Sony? If so, what resolution(s) were you able to get from it? And what operating system and video card did you use?

I thought the Hitachi was a lock until I heard some of the first impressions of the GWIII.... now its back to the drawing board....again!

Plus, my local buying club can get it for me at ~$2700 with tax and shipping to the local center included....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Man, I hear you! I was so close to getting the 60" Hitachi until I also read some postings of the GWIII.

Okay, this is getting annoying and my wife has just about had enough of my revolving decisions as it changes each day. God bless those who are brave enough to take the plunge.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Heh, I know what you mean. I've been trolling forums for months now trying to figure out which to buy.... then when I do I read that ONE post about another set that makes you think "What if"...

I recently bought the Samsung HLN5065W DLP from BB for a 'try-out-period'.... It's going back in a couple days. Going to take a look at the GWIII LCD.

(O|||||O)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello

I think you should let yourself make the decision, other than reading someone's comment. I don't think the pq of all the dlp or lcd are that much different, mt local store have the samsung, hitachi and new sony on display side by side.

1)they share the same hd-source.

2)full calibration have been done by professional.

I stayed there for like an hour, I would say the pq are really close, I do prefer the samsung, but I don't think you can call it " blew them all away" like some of the members here who try to defend their choice.

so it's nice togo this forum for information but the reviews are highly subjective and biased.

thanks

Mike

·
Registered
563 Posts
Steve,

I asked that question ref PC to TV in a previous post and have not received an answer yet. I have an MSI G4TI4200 with SVIDEO, VGA and DVI-I connectors. I'm sure i could connect the pc thru SVIDEO but not sure about DVI. A VGA to DVI adaptor is also supplied with the MSI G4 video card. A SONY rep is supposed to give me an answer on this issue tomorrow.

Mike 50

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mike50
Steve,

I asked that question ref PC to TV in a previous post and have not received an answer yet. I have an MSI G4TI4200 with SVIDEO, VGA and DVI-I connectors. I'm sure i could connect the pc thru SVIDEO but not sure about DVI. A VGA to DVI adaptor is also supplied with the MSI G4 video card. A SONY rep is supposed to give me an answer on this issue tomorrow.

Mike 50
Mike, I don't know a whole lot about the different connection types, but I believe that connecting a PC to an HDTV monitor via S-video does not produce the same resolution of a true DVI connection. Additionally, I think (and I could certainly be wrong) that in order to get the best possible resolution, your connection needs to be a true DVI, not VGA-to-DVI adapted....

In either case, if the TV supports it, you'll still get good resolution using your video card.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Further to this thread - - I'm in the process of hunting for a new television. I would really like to get something with a 16:9 ratio; however my wife works a lot with graphics on the pc. She would like something with pc connectivity and I know very little about this. We have s-video out on our current video card.

I am concerned about burn in. Is it really a big concern?

What is the best alternative for type of television (LCD, RP, flat tube?) considering the fact that my budget is only 2,000 at the absolute most?

I'm looking at about 36 - 46 inches. Has anyone else used a tv for pc connectivity? What have your results been.

Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been using my HTPC connected to my Sony GWII via DVI for 6 months now. The picture is pretty stunning. I am pretty sure the GWIII will be the same if not better.

To connect you need a couple of things -

1. a video card w/DVI output. VGA-DVI will not work.

2. Powerstrip - free prog that will let you create custom resolutions.

3. probably need to play with different monitor drivers.

Do a search for GWII and DVI. Tons of info here.

Jeff

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mike50,

That MSI card will only put out 640x480 out the DVI port to the Sony. Apparently that video card doesn't put out an accurate enough sync signal, so you get rolling at higher resolutions (1280x720) and such. Owned that card for a while.

-spazzman

·
Registered
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JDahl
I have been using my HTPC connected to my Sony GWII via DVI for 6 months now. The picture is pretty stunning. I am pretty sure the GWIII will be the same if not better.

To connect you need a couple of things -

1. a video card w/DVI output. VGA-DVI will not work.

2. Powerstrip - free prog that will let you create custom resolutions.

3. probably need to play with different monitor drivers.

Do a search for GWII and DVI. Tons of info here.

Jeff
Jeff,

Which video card are you using? Am i wrong in assuming that the Sony GWII like the GWIII has a DVI-D input, so your card must also have a DVI-D output instead of a DVI-I . My card has a DVI-I and i was wondering if it is compatible to the GWIII because the Sony owner manual states that a DVI-D one link cable must be used between TV and setopbox...

Mike50

·
Registered
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spazzman90
Mike50,

That MSI card will only put out 640x480 out the DVI port to the Sony. Apparently that video card doesn't put out an accurate enough sync signal, so you get rolling at higher resolutions (1280x720) and such. Owned that card for a while.

-spazzman
Spazzman,

Do you think that i would be more lucky with a VGA to component converter/cable and be able to obtain higher resolutions than with SVideo?

Mike50

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.