AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be previewing the 50HD in a few days. Anyone interested in giving it a preview on a few different screens ...drop me a line. It will be in the Kitchener Waterloo Cambridge area. Email [email protected]

If you have some interesting sources to try it out on I would be happy to oblige.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok the projector is here and ready to be seen.... if interested email me.

This projector is a work of art and should be seen ...

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
dalite highpower

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not sure what the dalite hi-power has to do with it ... but I have a hi-power here ... a HC cinema vision, goo and a few others ..

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,766 Posts
I'm installing 3 50-HDs over the next two weeks, and 5 total by November.

How do you personally rate the shapness of the 50-HD's image as compared to , say, an Infocus Screenplay 7200?

.and guess what again. I have a new mix that is made to order for the 50-HD.

The Goo is Dead. Long live under $50.00 solutions.

Here it is.

The now Famous SMG Howitzer Screen :rolleyes:

SMG stands for Silver Metallic Glaze. A Bier product (Home Depot) you find it in the Faux Painting section.

Cut 4/5th SMG to 1/5th Bier Ultra Pure White -Flat, it comprises the 'reflective' undercoating. On top goes two very thin layers of the same UPW -F that allow light to pass through to the SMG where the silver enhances reflectivity, and increases contrast. The top coats help maintain "Color Correctness".

Care must be taken to develope a flat featureless surface for best results when rolling, and in doing so, a featureless finish on the top coat.

Each application of paint, (even the SMG) gets a "light" wet sanding to remove any sheen present.

I intend to try the SMG by it'self, but cut 2/3rds to 1/3rd.

That would seen to an advantageous mix for PJs under 1000 lumens.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
OK..should I take your card out of my wallet now? I mean, know I forgot to return your call a while back. So I kept the card around to remind me to call back. but of course, it is like when you put stuff on the fridge to remind yourself.... you forget anyway, because it becomes part of the backdrop.

Playing with paint mixes is fun, anyway!

BTW, if I ever get down Louisiana/Mississippi way, I will be tracking you down for a bit of entertainment.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,766 Posts
Ken,

Naw. I still will use the Goo CRT White for ANY X1 application. If fact, I reffered someone to you on AVS just 3 days ago.

Yeah, I had to cajole Mandarx out of an order when I couldn't reach you. That must of been one hellacious meeting you were in.

But let's face it Ken, when I'm doing 122" to 148" screens, the Goo is just to darn expensive to have to order two complete Kits and still worry about having enough. I barely had enough for my X1 & Wall screen in Cincy. (9' diagonal 4:3, .......which by the way turned out spectaculary bright with vivid colors and great Blacks!) BUT....know this; I charge Clients $600.00 per paint job to transform a wall, and even with Kiln Dried 1" x 2" Trim wrapped in Black Felt, my cost of materials is only $80.00, as opposed to almost $400.00 for two Goo kits alone. If I don't make a mistake or use too much. If I do? Sheesh!

But remeber the big 14' Screen in New Jersey. That dude has unlimited funds and has already been sold on our using the Digital White with a 50-HD.

I was just making a point, and still admire your product. When the shoe fits, I'll wear it, so don't despair.

PS, Still love the Hat. Don't set it down again when I'm around!

Here's a pic of my latest creation for this year's VESTA Home Show, which is just over with and garners me 10 PJ sales in two weeks with twice that promised. Some will get Goo'ed...., promise.

...and do make the trip. Your accomodations will be on me. Beer too.

Beale Street awaits thee, oh Hatted One.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Well, Maurice, you are a dealer/installer, so call up the US distributor and get set up! That will make it cheaper for you to use on installs....local US shipping (three days max), etc.

Nice clean install, btw.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
I spent some time with the 50HD at Rob Soroka's place ( aka Mandarex ) with my SDI mod'd Panasonic XP50 & HTPC with Holo3D-2-AUX card.

The 50HD is visually a nice sleek looking package.

I was very impressed with the image it threw via DVI from m HTPC and even through a component connection from the XP50. Sure the HTPC had cleaner presentation, but the onboard scaler was no slouch either.

The 5 segment colour wheels and faster wheel speeds help remove/reduce the DLP 's "downfalls" of rainbows & dithering. And at 1.5x setting distance, the screen door is negligible to non-existent. And the 50HD is priced "right".

Robert has a nice casual "real-world" setting to view PJ's and screens so if you are in the market for an HD2 unit, keep the 50HD on your list.

- Andy

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
The base machines are the same source, yes. Differences are there, though.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
I don't know about this projector - seems that one is paying a premium for the eWARP feature (that shouldn't be needed for typical HT installs) and is already dated with it's HD2 light engine.

Not a good value in my book, unless one can get it significantly less than list price.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow..

Two of my old buds hammering it out in my thread... then kissing and hugging.. sweeeet..

Guess there isnt much point in finding people to sell the Goo to in the USA anymore. Hell for 600 US I'll order you up a screen from DaLite with velcro and or snapstuds already installed and send you a case of Canadian beer in three days.

Maurice... The room looks exceptionally good... except for the mount. Looks like it was made in a Mexican scrapyard. Glad to hear you are back working like a dog and getting lots of orders...

Tom from Immersive has spent a ton of time on the Virtuoso HP720.. they are the same unit but I believe that some firmware fixes have come directly from Tom's work direct to Nexgen...

The unit that was delivered had some peculiar settings .... had to spend a bit of time making some adjustments to it.

I agree with most of Andy's assessments... IE... seemed to be well built. The remote was ok but I like to have a few more buttons for different presets.. no big deal tho..

The picture was great after tweaking a bit... the presets for D6500 were easy to locate and it looked good with this setting. However on the unit when set to this D65 all the color settings were to the max making it a bit difficult to tweek... I thought this to be a bit bizarre... Kind of like having an oven with only two settings broil and off.

Also there was some some sychronization problems when shifting to different aspect ratios... ie picture freezing up.... flashing blur..... outside perimeters of some going bizerk. Was very disappointed in finding this out on a unit that has been around for a while. I am told that this is going to be a fix from NEXGEN.. but most likely is something that Immersive may have already cleaned up and just got picked up by NEXGEN on the latest releases.

I didnt get a chance to see the black and white settings.. and did want to spend a bit more time with the unit...

Compared to the 7200 Infocus for sharpness I wouldnt give either the edge... I think the optics on both units were similar... but didnt see any vagauries in the corners that I did notice on the 7200.

I would agree with MR. Ferrara that what might be a good ideal is scrap the ewarp... who the hell needs it for home theater.

Now the good..... The reds were easy to set to be almost bang on. Made me notice what I had been missing in CRT for a while...

The blacks were very impressive as well... great shadow detail.

The image was silky smooth... and the scaler in this unit impressed me alot at what it cleaned up... I run some video through a crap source just to see how well it mops everything up and it did a splendid job.

With the Immersive Halo II card in Andy's pc it was a good combo but again a few glitches to iron out... The glitches were not there btw with the NEC 260K .....

I do think the projector is priced right for what you get. It was very impressive and delivered an outstanding image... All the downfalls were firmware fixable... At this stage I would have expected the firmware to be closer to workable at this price point.

My expectation with Immersives standards it will be only a short time before all of the firmware is flawless,,, and since they will demand this in their own units Studio Experience will benefit from this as well.

I had it on a Goo screen actually most of the time... the Digital Grey Lite. Looked good ... I just donated that screen to a charity.

Everyone noted that the picture was visibly better than a 1 chip DLP... and since it is marginally more expensive and native 16:9 I expect that very few will be disappointed with its performance once the firmware has been fixed...

I have been extremely busy so have not been able to touch base with Studio Experience on the aforementioned problems which may already have been dealt with so take my derogatory remarks about it with a grain of salt and know that it will only be a matter of time before a remedy comes forth, and I did get a wee bit of time to speak with Tom from Immersive and he is right on top of all these issues and has already dealt with them with his own time and efforts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.