AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know of any manufacturer that makes a 50" LCD HDTV that is non-projection and non-plasma. Or one coming out soon? Thanks for taking the time.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
westy will make a 47 inch LCD fairly soon and it be priced far below the competition.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Whatever happened to the 55" LCD TV that was announced late last year? Wasn't Magnavox and/or RCA supposed to introduce a high end 55" LCD (direct view) in early to mid 2005? There were several threads on it, but I can't find a way to search the archives, if that capability still exists and I have forgotten the details.

Sharp is supposed to have released a 65" Aquos in Japan in August with the model being released in the US by later this year. But that is a lot bigger than the 50" size the OP asked about.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I hate to reiterate this, but LG and Samsung have been talking about 52, 54, 55 and 57 inch LCDs for years and have shipped nothing. When Sharp talks about something, they ship it months later.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The LG 55" is real--it's just very expensive. Not many retailers are ready to risk the capital to put a $13-15K TV on display. By the time the customer for such a set walks through your door, it could be 2007 and you'd be lucky to get 80% of your cost out of it. With LCD panels dropping in price practically monthly, stocking slow-moving LCDs can be very costly indeed.

It's the proverbial 'Catch 22'. You won't sell many >$10K TVs sight unseen and you won't see many >$10K TVs on display. What's a poor guy to do?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I'm not disputing your claim, just tell me one store where can I order a 55-inch LG in the United States.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.