AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a lot of research on 50" plasmas and was pretty much set on purchasing the Panasonic TH50PZ800U until I visited Best Buy today and saw the Pioneer Kuro PDP5020FD on sale for $2199. The Kuro had been well out of my price constraints. Unfortunately, Best Buy did not have the 800U Panasonic on display so I could do a side by side comparison. I read the CNET review on the Kuro that states a problem with inaccurate primary colors. I sure could not tell. The picture quality was great.

What is the consensus out there on these 2 models? The picture quality on both apear to be great. Being that the price on the Kuro is only $200 more than what I can purchase the Panasonic for, should I go with Kuro?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
the contrast/black level advantage of the Kuro far outweighs the relatively minor flaw of inaccurate primaries, IMO.

the PZ800U has the advantage in terms of tweakability, something that i would personally miss on the 5020. once professionally calibrated, however, this would be less of a concern....if you would be willing to go that route.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Read d-nice's review on the pio xx20 and the elite version, it's in his signature. Don't judge a tv in a store or compare it. The other day I was watching an LG LCD next to a pioneer 6020 and the LG looked way better. It was sharper, colors seemed more natural and it looked smoother. If I got both sets home I know that the 6020 would smash it to bits. All those people in the stores and little kids walk by and press all the buttons on the remotes and doing who knows what to them.

Then go read all the reviews on the panaonics in the panny owners thread and do the same in the pio xx20 owners thread. Make a list of pros and cons and see which one weighs higher for you and buy it. It seems you allready have your mind made up and just need someone to justify your purchase it's just that 9/10 people will tell you to get the pio. The 1/10 has a panasonic

·
Registered
696 Posts
I was curious about the same thing when it came to the kuro and the 58' 800U. I was wondering wether or not the the 8 extra inches would make up for the picture.

·
Registered
998 Posts
lol... I just chose the Kuro against the Panny 85/850 due to superior black levels and the ability to run 24p content properly without flickering. Thursday can't come soon enough.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I would say the Kuro... I would be returning my TH50PZ800U in a heartbeat and getting the Kuro...but the fact I paid $540 for my 800U BNIB makes it hard to justify $1600 difference for a Kuro. Both sets are awesome with the advantage going to Kuro for the Black levels.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcjbl /forum/post/15591632

I would say the Kuro... I would be returning my TH50PZ800U in a heartbeat and getting the Kuro...but the fact I paid $540 for my 800U BNIB makes it hard to justify $1600 difference for a Kuro. Both sets are awesome with the advantage going to Kuro for the Black levels.

$540? how did you pull that off? 50"?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts