Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I am not sure how well this will work, but my father-in-law wants to replace his 35" direct view set with a 50" HD plasma set. We will probably go buy it next weekend during our Mothers Day visit.

His TV room basically an addition to the back of the house that he did himself. The back wall is basically nothing more that a series of sliding glass doors with minimal wall in between just to support the door structures. It is a nice room that overlooks his landscaped yard, garden and pool, but it is not ideal for TV viewing (during the day at least). The TV will go against this wall (like his current TV). Some of the doors are permanently locked and not used, though I guess they could be.

So, does anyone have a recommendation about a plasma that will work well in this environment? It is basically "shaded" and I don't really recall a situtation where direct sunlight was coming into the room. Most of the serious TV/Movie watching will be done at night, so I guess he is OK there.

I've seen divvy summary thread and it is very useful.

Thanks for any advice.

- Hal

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh.. I should add that since he lives in the Philly area, he will use the Comcast Cable HD service (what ever tuner that is) as well as a OTA tuner as input sources.

Regards,

- Hal

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Hi Hal-

Even though most plasmas have an anti-glare coating on the front lens, they will still reflect light sources. So in this situation, it is probably more of an issue of placement within the room to try to minimize those reflections.

So I don't know that I would be trying to split hairs on screen reflectivity, as a choozing characteristic.

I helped a client of mine build a custom floor mounted stand for his Pioneer to be placed in front of a windowed wall, directly opposite of another fully windowed wall. The application worked fine, although he has some specific electric shades, on all window to help cut down light reflections. BTW, the two walls (windowed) are east wall and a west wall.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
This is how I installed my Fujitsu P50XHA10US against a glass wall. It was taken right after I installed the A/V cabinet and in the middle of painting, so wires aren't exactly neatened up yet, and the speakers aren't mounted (and still aren't mounted). I should take a new photo soon I suppose. :)

The sliding door opening is to the left of the screen (out of the photo).

http://www.2150.com/doug/livingroom/...8w_500x750.jpg

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Too bad the transparent glass floor stand for the new Sony 50-inch XBR9900 plasma costs $4000. What a look that would be with the plasma "floating" at eye level against an all glass wall.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nobail
Thanks for all the replies. Cool stand Doug. Where did you get it? - Hal
It's a Peerless PLC ceiling mount with an adjustable extension rod. It was about $260-$280 plus another $90 or so for the extension rod.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Your setup is quite excellent looking, Doug.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.