AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next week Panasonic 50" plasma TVs will drop to $3,000., so if you figure the cost of a 50" dlp TV plus the cost of 3 replacement bulbs, over the lifetime of the TV the plasma will be cheaper. A plasma TV also has no color wheel to break down, no fan, and no moving parts. With an expected lifespan of 60,000. hours, you can leave it to your grandkids.

In the 65" to 80" size, dlp and other RPTVs have the price advantage, but in the 50" size plasma is now king. Panasonic is going to sell a huge number of them and they are going to be a common item now, not just for rich folks.

CRT based RPTVs are really still king price wise as a 51" can be had for $1,300. and on some brands, like Toshiba and Hitachi, the picture is great. DLP, LCD, etc., are the losers here.

IB

·
Registered
288 Posts
Toker I do not believe there is such a thing as a 50" EDTV plasma. The largest EDTV I know of that has been produced is a 46"

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue
50" HDTV Plasmas or 50" EDTV plasmas? There's quite a difference.

50" HDTV plasma monitors without HDTV tuner at 720p. Price to drop August 28th. 3,000 to 1 contrast ratio claimed.

IB

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks
50" HDTV plasma monitors without HDTV tuner at 720p. Price to drop August 28th. 3,000 to 1 contrast ratio claimed.

IB
Plenty of 60"+ 1080P DLP's with claimed 5,000 to 10,000 to 1 CR's will be available in the $2,500 to $3,000 range this Fall. these prices are dropping rapidly as more and more manufacturers release their 1080P lines. The 61" Samsung 1080P DLP was available from a major retailer for WELL UNDER 3K already a couple of weeks ago on an "Employee Pricing" sale. 50" HD Plasmas will maintain a niche market, but will be hard pressed to compete with 60"+ 1080P displays that will be selling at little over $2,500 by the holiday season. Many 50" 720P LCD RP and DLP displays will be selling close to $1,500 during the holiday season, also. Plasma won't be stealing market share from microdisplays any time soon. Au Contraire...

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kirt 87w
I dont want to deal with the gradual diming over time with a Plasma.
That's kind of a ridiculous statement isn't it? Plasmas are bright as hell to begin with, and with a 60,000 lifespan it will be plenty bright at 30,000 hours, which equals 13.69 years at 6 hours a day.

IB

·
Registered
785 Posts
Quote:
I dont want to deal with the gradual diming over time with a Plasma.

Ooookaaay....

60,000 in reality means more than the average life span of a TV....at 5 hours per day, 60,000 hours will last me 32.8 years

I'm 28 now, by the time I am 60, I sure hope I am not watching the same TV...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quote:
That's kind of a ridiculous statement isn't it? Plasmas are bright as hell to begin with, and with a 60,000 lifespan it will be plenty bright at 30,000 hours, which equals 13.69 years at 6 hours a day.

IB
Plenty bright at 30K hours? i doubt that, 30K is more like when it gets unwatchable. Who is to say you wont be upset after 15K hours?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp
Over in the plasmas section they are talking about the Panasonic 50" plasma TVs dropping by $1000 from $5000 to $4000 nest week, not to $3000.
LOL, well i guess he meant "50" Plasmas only twice as expensive as 50" DLP's after next week!!"

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:
Plenty bright at 30K hours? i doubt that, 30K is more like when it gets unwatchable. Who is to say you wont be upset after 15K hours?
Actually 60k is the half life of the display.

Relax, and enjoy your TV....like others have said, each technology has its advantages and disadvantages.....no need to argue, we have enough of that around here :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
Quote:

IB
and i'm supposed to get 40,000 miles on my tires and 5 years on my car battery....yet it never seems to happen that way. don't plasmas seem to generate an awful lot of heat....it's particularly evident walking down the plasma display aisles in the stores? in a smaller room in a warmer climate i'd expect it might get downright uncomfortable running a large plasma.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazelle
Plenty of 60"+ 1080P DLP's with claimed 5,000 to 10,000 to 1 CR's will be available in the $2,500 to $3,000 range this Fall. these prices are dropping rapidly as more and more manufacturers release their 1080P lines. The 61" Samsung 1080P DLP was available from a major retailer for WELL UNDER 3K already a couple of weeks ago on an "Employees Only" sale. 50" HD Plasmas will maintain a niche market, but will be hard pressed to compete with 60"+ 1080P displays that will be selling at little over $2,500 by the holiday season. Many 50" 720P LCD RP displays will be selling close to $1,500 during the holiday season, also. Plasma won't be stealing market share from microdisplays any time soon. Au Contraire...
Gazelle:

This is a pretty bold — and intriguing — statement. What evidence is there that 1080p microdisplays, still very new, will drop so dramatically by the holidays? Not challenging you, just curious as to what indicators there are of this. Because, if so, I think many, many people will hold off on purchases a few months to feel the future-proof net of 1080p if this is true.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJack
Gazelle:

This is a pretty bold — and intriguing — statement. What evidence is there that 1080p microdisplays, still very new, will drop so dramatically by the holidays? Not challenging you, just curious as to what indicators there are of this. Because, if so, I think many, many people will hold off on purchases a few months to feel the future-proof net of 1080p if this is true.
Not that dramatic, really. witness the Samsung 61" 1080P's have already hit that range(albeit only during sales) and are intending further drops in the coming weeks to meet most other manufacturer's 1080P sets that aren't even released yet. All these manufacturers are planning new price cuts in the coming weeks. Why would this seem surprising to you? Happens during every new model cycle in microdisplays. It's worked like that for a few years.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Keep in mind the rumored drop to $4k for the 50" is MSRP...street price at a reputable on-line dealer (avs sponsors, wink wink) is typically $1k below that...so it brings it inline with the desired $3k.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can buy them today on-line for $3,500. Subtract $500. from that "street price."

I just did a web search and found one dealer selling the Panasonic TH-50PX50U 50" Plasma HD-TV with built-in ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuners for $2,999. That means it has a HDTV tuner built in!!!!!!!!!! I can't say the dealers name, but you can find it using StreetPrices.Com. Just paste in Panasonic TH-50PX50U

IB

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote:
Not that dramatic, really. witness the Samsung 61" 1080P's have already hit that range(albeit only during sales) and are intending further drops in the coming weeks to meet most other manufacturer's 1080P sets that aren't even released yet. All these manufacturers are planning new price cuts in the coming weeks. Why would this seem surprising to you? Happens during every new model cycle in microdisplays. It's worked like that for a few years.
Well, it's surprising considering the 56" Samsung is around $4,000 still. To say that 60+ sets will drip into the $2,500 range by year's end is bold.

But, trust me, I'll be pleased if it happens.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJack
Well, it's surprising considering the 56" Samsung is around $4,000 still. To say that 60+ sets will drip into the $2,500 range by year's end is bold.

But, trust me, I'll be pleased if it happens.
$3,999 is the current MSRP(which will be dropping again soon). No one pays anywhere near MSRP. Especially for Samsungs who are notorious for inflated MSRP's.

You need to do some searching. The 56" 5668 1080P is nowhere near 4K. Check out "street prices" as someone above mentioned. You can easily get it near or under 3K online right now if you look. The low online price is actually closer to 2 1/2 than 3K right now...

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
You need to do some searching. The 56" 5668 1080P is nowhere near 4K. Check out "street prices" as someone above mentioned. You can easily get it near or under 3K online right now if you look. The low online price is actually closer to 2 1/2 than 3K right now...
Just did that. The range was 2.7k to 4k but most of them were around 3k. I didn't check for vendor ratings, shipping or other things like return policy. I didn't see any of the names that I'm sure have a good reputation.

It's going to get interesting.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.