AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in process of trying to buy 50" plasma. Specs for the Samsung HPN5039 look decent. How come I don't see much in forum on Samsungs. It is mostly Pioneer's and Panasonics. Not a lot of side by side testing data out there yet. Don't need speakers, trying to go with highest contrast ratio and brightness but wondering where the cut off is as far as noticable difference. What about pixel pitch? Haven't seen anyone mention that either. Convinced about DVI and HDCP. I would just like to get the best 50" set for 6-7k. Anyone have any good suggestions on plasma stands. Can't mount on wall because have old Victorian house, so need free standing.

·
Registered
985 Posts
If you want the best 50 inch for 6-7k, you're looking at the panny. That's why they're talked about so much here. The pioneer 503cmx is right there too. Once you decide on the plamsa, you can shop stands if needed.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Ron, Have you seen the Samsung HPN 5039?? If you have, OK than that is fair but it seems to me everyone automatically discounts Samsung just on reputation and not actually viewing the panel.

I cannot recall anyone on this forum who has actually given the new 50" Samsung an honest first hand evaluation. I have personally seen the 63" HPN 6339 and was quite impressed with what I saw but unfortunaltey, I have not been able to actually see the 50".

Just curious.......

·
Registered
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CMR

I cannot recall anyone on this forum who has actually given the new 50" Samsung an honest first hand evaluation. I have personally seen the 63" HPN 6339 and was quite impressed with what I saw but unfortunaltey, I have not been able to actually see the 50".

Just curious....... [/b]
I saw several Samsung 50's today and they look pretty nice! Samsung is making a major push into Video and Computer displays. Check out their new 1920x1080 24" computer displays! Wow!

They've been around for a long time but now they are really trying to come on strong.

I like them, now that they have Faroujda electronics and the DNIe picture enhancement.

I bought a Samsung 61" DLP rear projector and I like it (except for the rainbows!). My brother is searching for a Plasma and we spent all day looking around. The Samsung 50, if you look hard, can be found for under 6K. Panasonics are very good too, but take a good look at the Samsungs.

Not a bad deal!

Also, look at each of the Plasma's when they are turned OFF. See how black they really are. Some are greenish like the Viewsonic. The Samsungs are fairly black. Remember, this is as black as a plasma can get. Use this as a starting point to find the floor level of the picture.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the Samsung 5039 and in my opinion it is the equal of any other 50" that I have seen (in stores, which admittedly is not the best place to critique any television). Samsung seems to have put a lot of value into their displays and I think it shows.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Just saw a 5039 at BB with Showtime HD feed and I agreed that its PQ is good and much better than the Samsung 42" ED which is also there with the same feed. It looks almost as good as my Panny 42" HD with the HD feed! But it costs the same as a 50" Panny plasma and its reliability factor is unknown!

·
Registered
798 Posts
It should be a little cheaper than the 50" Panny and comes with a Two Year Waranty!! If you use you Mastercard or Visa, I believe they will double that...thats not to bad!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CMR
It should be a little cheaper than the 50" Panny and comes with a Two Year Waranty!! If you use you Mastercard or Visa, I believe they will double that...thats not to bad!!
Credit card warranties double the Manufactures warranty UP TO 1 YEAR. The total warranty would then be three years, not four.

Jeff

·
Registered
50 Posts
I looked all over the place to get a look at the new 5039 because it was a little cheaper and was available online now.

Finally found it at BB at 23rd and 6th here in NYC. I was very disappointed. While it wasn't side by side it was very close to a Pio 503 and what I think was a 42 Panny ED (didn't look too closely). All models were playing the same HD feed. Anyway the Pio looked great (as usual in my opinion), the Panny looked pretty good and the Samsung was a distant third. The Pio blew the Samsung away in every way, color, sharpness, brightness. Frankly I assume the Samsung must have had a problem, be it calibration or otherwise because it looked plain bad. A preview of LOTR looked beautiful on the Pio and grainy and soft on the Samsung. The HD all star softball game looked like you were looking through a window on the Pio, on the Samsung it was just ok, clearly inferior to even the ED Panny.

Subsequently saw the Samsung 50 and 60 at JandR and again it wasn't good. Soft and grainy.

I'm glad people are enjoying there's but I've scratched it off the list and it looks like the 6UY for me, if reviews are good, or if not the Pio 503cmx or the similar Hitachi.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
dgrabel - which 50's were at J&R when you went there? I live in NYC and was thinking of taking a trip down there. I've seen the pio 5030/elite 1000, and the fujitsu P50 so far....the only panny's I've seen are of the 42" variety....

·
Registered
93 Posts
I almost bought the Samsung 5039 but after closely comparing it side by side with the Pioneer 5030 and the 42 Panny ED its a distant third. Its not the color but almost on every input signal there was much more scaling artifacts and on SD it looked horrible watching high speed action sports.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Goombawa - I wish I could be more help but I got there about 20 mins before closing and I was primarily there to get a look at some portable dvd players, so I didn't take that close a look at all the plasmas.

JandR definitely had the new 50 and 60 inch Samsungs, the Pio 503, the Pio Elite 50 inch, they also had a couple Pannys (a 42 and a 50 I think, I assume the old HD's, I just took a quick look, they were playing a Spiderman dvd and the image looked very good except for one problem, it looked like they had the picture on zoom or something because the faces were HUGE), also they had a couple Sony's and some others (Hitachi? Toshiba?). Again sorry I can't be more precise but it clearly was the biggest selection I've seen in NYC.

I plan on making a return trip fairly soon. I wonder when those new 50 inch Panny's are coming in.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.