AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that Optical cable has a technical limitation of 10m/33'. But reading reviews on Monoprice for 50' Toslink cables, they have rave reviews that there is no noticeable sound quality difference from shorter lengths. Does this square with folks here's experience?

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

-- Lawrence Peter Berra

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I'll just invest ≈ $12 for a Monoprice cable and adapter. like you said, it'll work, or it won't. Not too expensive of a try out. I'll report nack on the results.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
What kind of mini jack cable are you meaning, as in analog stereo?

If that's the case, going digital over a longer distance is advantageous, particularly compared to getting something like a mini-jack cable which is probably not very well shielded. If you did analog audio I would suggest higher quality full sized audio cable with RCAs or something, and just use a mini-jack to RCA adapter.

I would prefer to use coax SPDIF over longer distances due mainly to physical resiliance of the cable, but a good optical cable should actually work better than coax over very long distance IF it's a good fiber because there is no noise concern like there is with coax, and there is very little loss with good fiber. But most toslink stuff, including I'm sure the monoprice stuff, is rather low-cost plastic, not really high-grade fiber or anything, so it could be more of an issue at longer distances.

But for $12, I mean give it a whirl. If it works fine and you don't experience dropouts or anything like that then you're good to go. SPDIF is basically, as already mentioned, if it works it works. It's basically all or nothing.

·
Banned
439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekro /forum/post/18142107

I have read that Optical cable has a technical limitation of 10m/33'. But reading reviews on Monoprice for 50' Toslink cables, they have rave reviews that there is no noticeable sound quality difference from shorter lengths. Does this square with folks here's experience?

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

-- Lawrence Peter Berra

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Thanks,

Dave

I have used 100 feet, and longer, runs of RG-6, with snap-n-seal RCA connectors, for my digital audio needs.

RG-6 is inexpensive (dual or quad shield), and is better spec'd cable than the standard audio coaxial cables.

An advantage is running fewer cable types around the home/office, since RG6 can be used fo both RF/baseband input for HDTVs and Cable Boxes/Modems, and digital audio needs.

I am an old HAM, and RG6 is very manageable compared to the RG8 of days gone by

iq100

the best way to delete an idea is to post one of your own.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by iq100 /forum/post/18148063

I have used 100 feet, and longer, runs of RG-6, with snap-n-seal RCA connectors, for my digital audio needs.

RG-6 is inexpensive (dual or quad shield), and is better spec'd cable than the standard audio coaxial cables.

An advantage is running fewer cable types around the home/office, since RG6 can be used fo both RF/baseband input for HDTVs and Cable Boxes/Modems, and digital audio needs.

I searched Monoprice and Mycablemart and found no adapters for RG6 or 'snap-n-seal RCA connectors'. How do you get a digital signal through two RCA plugs? I thought by definition, if it went thru RCA, it became analog. I may have misunderstood. So what connectors would I need to

1)go from my iMac's stereo mini jack/optical output to RG6 cable

2)then from RG6 to ?? a digital inpit on my Denon 1909 AVR? I thought the only 'digital' audio inputs were: optical, digital coaxial, HDMI (audio & video).

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The little bit i know:

You can transfer the line-level audio analog or digital.

Analog typically uses RCA connectors or the mini jack plug. When audio is transmitted analog, it can get distorted in transit due to interference and whatnot.

Digital can uses 1 TOSLINK (optical, uses light) or 1 RCA connector (uses electrical current). (Or it can be sent over HDMI as well.)

RG6 cable is shielded cable that can reject interference to the signal being transmitted on the cable. Whether this is analog audio or digital audio or something else, RG6 is a better choice than your typical unshielded cable, especially when it comes to long distances.

·
Banned
439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekro /forum/post/18148564

I searched Monoprice and Mycablemart and found no adapters for RG6 or 'snap-n-seal RCA connectors'. How do you get a digital signal through two RCA plugs? I thought by definition, if it went thru RCA, it became analog. I may have misunderstood. So what connectors would I need to

1)go from my iMac's stereo mini jack/optical output to RG6 cable

2)then from RG6 to ?? a digital inpit on my Denon 1909 AVR? I thought the only 'digital' audio inputs were: optical, digital coaxial, HDMI (audio & video).

Look here:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...ource=googleps

You only need a single mono connection for digital connections. The channels are muliplexed onto the single high bandwidth digital connecton. At least for 5.1.

I guess you would need a mini, aka 1/8", aka 3.5mm, adapter to RCA. I do NOT like 1/8" for high end audio. At least use a locking connector. Google.

iq100

the best way to delete an idea is by posting some of your own.

I don't recommend ever purchasing a J. River product until they stop messing with the words of posters on INTERCEPT, unban the users they disenfranchised, and refrain from trying to re-sell 'updated' versions to paid users.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by iq100 /forum/post/18155616

Look here:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...ource=googleps

You only need a single mono connection for digital connections. The channels are muliplexed onto the single high bandwidth digital connecton. At least for 5.1.

I guess you would need a mini, aka 1/8", aka 3.5mm, adapter to RCA. I do NOT like 1/8" for high end audio. At least use a locking connector. Google

You are saying a stereo mini jack (also able to support Toslink via an adapter) from my iMac would convert to a MONO signal, then back to a digital signal out to ONE RCA connector?? Would this plug into a 'digital audio coax' input on my Denon 1909 AVR? Or where?

How does the black non RCA end of this adapter connect to the RG6 cable?

Tks,

Dave

·
Banned
439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekro /forum/post/18157446

You are saying a stereo mini jack (also able to support Toslink via an adapter) from my iMac would convert to a MONO signal, then back to a digital signal out to ONE RCA connector?? Would this plug into a 'digital audio coax' input on my Denon 1909 AVR? Or where?

How does the black non RCA end of this adapter connect to the RG6 cable?

Tks,

Dave

Mono connector is referring to a single center connection plus shield. NOT to monophonic single channel sound. All 5.1 channels are mulitplexed onto a single conductor. You might want to read here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post18139851

iq100

the best way to delete an idea is to post one of your own

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by iq100 /forum/post/18159140

Mono connector is referring to a single center connection plus shield. NOT to monophonic single channel sound. All 5.1 channels are mulitplexed onto a single conductor. You might want to read here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post18139851

iq100

the best way to delete an idea is to post one of your own

Thanks iq100, I'll check the link out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.