AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my mind made up to get the samsung and finally found the right price.then the sales guy tries to talk me into the panny. I don't know what the markup of each is or is he being honest about his opinion.i can get either for the same price.am I missing something here or am I on the right track with the samsung? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9smith /forum/post/0

I had my mind made up to get the samsung and finally found the right price.then the sales guy tries to talk me into the panny. I don't know what the markup of each is or is he being honest about his opinion.i can get either for the same price.am I missing something here or am I on the right track with the samsung? Thanks for the help.

I meant to add that he said that the bezel was applied with double sided tape on the samsung and that the parts were better quality in the panny

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had a hard time deciding between these tvs as well. Ultimately I just liked the way the picture popped on the sammy. Also, the panasonic s2 looked grainy to me. Honestly though, I think most people would be happy with either tv.

Trust your eyes, thats all you can do. Both manufacturers have their issues.

There are a million threads on comparing these two tvs, check em out. Most people arent going to respond to this thread for that very reason.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Well....if its build quality and reliability you are after...you should try to find out the actual defect rate from the two companies..

I have no idea where you would find such information however.

Anything else would simply be opinion.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Having had both the sammy 550 and the panny S2 its really a toss up to be honest.

-The Samsung definitely wins in the looks category to me, I actually think having the S2 now it looks "old" and just isnt sexy if you will

-Panasonic wins in the black level category to me, I feel that the blacks look a little blacker

-Shadow detail on the samsung I belive is a little better but isnt a deal break as it usualy shows up on crap you don't care about anyways unless your looking for it

-Samsung has banding issues, on light scenes (or a white screen for example) you can see horizontal bands going down the screen, this doesnt seem to be an issue with every one of them, but searching aroudn on here and on google its a problem with a lot of them

-Panasonic has floating blacks, on light scenes you may see a little "flicker" in the darker areas as the display changed the brightness, kind of annoying at first but you can live with it. Sometimes its appreciated on really dark scenes giving more of that "black" look.

-Samsung has a buzzing issue, all of them from what i ehar.. some are louder than others.. mine could not be ehard unless there was no sound (dead silent house) sitting 8ft back. Panasonic is silent unless you put your ear to the back of it

-HEAT - Panasonic runs extremely cool, the samsung runs fairly warm, would actually heat up this smaller room with all the doors closed not even exaggerating, with the doors closed the room would warm up substantially with the samsung if tis been on for an hour or two (this is welcome in the winter though
)

I think the samsung picture looks a little "sharper" but this can sometimes be a bad thing to me..

Both are great TV's to me, if ti comes down to price, go with the panny..

If not, its really more or less what you can live with as they both have their own issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts