AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good quality surround speaker system for around $500-$600. I want at least 5.1, 6.1 would be nice though. My roomate bought the Klipsch Quintet 5 piece and a Klipsch 12" 440 W sub for a total of $600. We are extrememly pleased with this system. But we don't really have anything to compare it to. Would this system be a good choice for me? Are there better ones in this price range?

Thanks a lot.

Mike

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Don't waste your money on a new 5.1 system if you can't spend at least $1000. You are FAR better off with good used speakers, especially since you can trade up with little or no loss of money. 5 NHT SuperZeros are a particularly good choice with an 8" powered subwoofer. SuperZeros go for about $50 each used. I've been eyeing new systems in your price range and ALL I've seen are incredibly inaccurate. REALLY bad. It's like finding a new car for $5K.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Depends upon what you define as being "good quality." I'm in agreement with John under my definition of "listenable quality," which would be somewhat less than "good."

But many people do listen to built-in TV speakers for years and find them acceptable. To them, the HTIB systems from Onkyo for around $500 sound incredibly good. Even the $200 KLH speaker packages sounded "good" to a co-worker of mine.

If you really loved the Klipsch system, then whose to say that it isn't a "good quality" $600 system to you?

On the low end side, one could go to axiomaudio.com and pick up two pairs of factory blem M1ti's for $320, a VP50 center for $180, and then you'd have your 5.0 part for $500. Then if you could find a used Paradigm PDR-8 or PS-800 sub for around $200, you'd have a $700 system that I think would have some decent quality to it. But I don't know if you'd like this more than the Klipsch system (I know I would).

Tom B.

·
Registered
757 Posts
you can find good speakers in this price range. it's funny, they don't even have to be used. don't let a lot of the veterans in this forum sway you away from spending what YOU want to spend. overall, the biggest mistake i've seen people make is that they don't set a budget.

http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_18153.htm

the above link will be an extremely good choice for you, as long as you have a decent receiver and your room is not huge.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
5 Ascend acoustic speakers cost me $750 shipped. ( the sub will cost you extra, but you can buy this kind of stuff in stages y'know)

they weren't a compromise purchase either.

i'd had $2000 budgeted for a speaker upgrade and out of everything i'd heard, these were the ones that 'spoke to me'.

i'd love 'em at even twice the price ( but i love em even more since they came in so well under my budget).

i don't know if i'd recommend them for you though since they are almost the antithesis of the Klipsch sound.

a lot of popular speakers i find to be too brash for my tastes.

the ascends are a much mellower, laid back sounding speaker.

·
Registered
574 Posts
This is the best I could find for $600 clams (all from www.etronics.com ):

JBL S26II 2-Way 6" Bookshelf Speaker (pair): $154.99

JBL S26II 2-Way 6" Bookshelf Speaker (pair): $154.99

JBL S-Center 3-way, Dual 5" Center Channel: $129.99

Sony SA-WM40 Active Subwoofer: $134.99

Bag of polyfill to radically improve sub: $6.00

Total: $580.96

For the money, I believe the above speaker configuration would be very hard to beat!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
While it is good to set a budget, it is also good to spend as much as one can free up when buying a speaker system. In this price range, every $100 can make a difference. And when you buy a matching set, then you are pretty much locked into upgrading as a matching set and that can get expensive (unless you go with a line that has a consistent sound and they have an upgrade path).

So if all you can free up is $600, then that's all you have ... go out and make the best of it. But if you can pop for another $200 or so, it can be money very well spent on speakers.

Tom B.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Better yet, buy the best stereo sub/sat system you can find, then add the center and rears later. You'll be glad you did.

And, please, stay the heck out of chain stores. You're not saving any money. You may spend "less", but you won't be saving money. Trust me. Go develop a good relationship with someone who sells good used geat. They can do good things for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.