AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Denon AVR reciever, small room, towers are fine.

I'm thinking the Jamo 606 set which is right within that price range, something along those lines but would like to hear more options.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Yeah the Jamo S606 is right in that price range. If you truly have a $500 budget that would give you a little extra for a sub (or obviously speaker wire, etc if you don't already have some). Also, for $50 extra you can get the speakers in all black. I'll save afrogt the trouble and say what he would say
Call Vanns and see if you can get them to give you the black set for $400.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I would also spend about $50-$60 more than the $500 budget and pick up a BIC DV series subwoofer which is a great sub according to many people.

http://www.tomswarehouse.com/product...p?i=B0015A8Y5M

This sub should easily fill a small room with bass. I would recommend giving it some space from a wall (2-feet at least) and near the front speakers, away from any corners in the room. Test out how that sounds. If it's enough bass, keep it there and it will be a more accurate bass response in most room. If the bass is not strong enough then start moving it to the corner of the room little by little until you reach the desired bass output strength. This will mean your compromise will keep the boominess to a minimum while giving you the bass output you want.

If you like the sound of sealed subs like I do and don't mind buying used and don't mind an older subwoofer and if you can be patient to find one with an in-tact cabinet, I recommend the Cambridge PSW-1 subwoofer (and it's slave subwoofer if you can find it). I have seen a few private sellers on ebay and craigslist where it's $125.

If you buy from someone on Craigslist, here is what I did. I paid the person using Paypal. Then I opened an account with UPS and had them "pick up" the sub from the seller and deliver it to me for $63. (That's how I got my sub.) Of course Ebay is your other option.

The key is to only buy the PSW-1 if the cabinet is completely clean and intact with no scratches dings or dents. The reason is that the cabinet cannot be physically repaired. However, if the rest of the parts have a problem, either with it's amplifier or it's woofer, Cambridge Soundworks will repair it for $75 (I spoke with them directly, they will even completely replace the amplifier and/or subwoofer driver for that flat $75 fee). You will have to pay shipping to them though.

The bottom line is that even though the Cambridge Soundworks PSW-1 is an old subwoofer, you can pay a very small fee to the manufacturer to make it perform like it's a brand new subwoofer. I am extremely picky about sound and would settle for nothing less than a stellar sound from my system. The Cambridge Soundworks PSW-1 is one of the best subwoofers I've EVER heard for movies or music. It's punchy fills a room up to 2000-cuft with an SPL of 118db down to about a usable 26Hz.

The thing that makes this sub so incredible is that it's bass "carries" a very far distance. I've never heard a hometheater sub carry it's bass this far. It's what first attracted me to it at a Best Buy store back in 1997. I was looking at A/V receivers and heard this perfect, tight and loud bass coming from the sound room. Like a zombie looking for brains I shuffled over to the sound room to find this subwoofer. I expected it to be a 15" super sub with a high price tag from a brand making high output speakers like Cerwin Vega or something. Because the bass is omnidirectional, I initially passed the Cambridge Soundworks display area, not believing for one second it could come from that area of dinky bose-like sized speakers. After a few moments I zeroed in on it and just honestly thought, no way, this thing is louder, cleaner and better than all the subs in the room, even larger and more expensive ones. I knew, I wanted one but couldn't afford the $600. Then, less than a year later they went on clearance and I snagged one for $200.

After a few years of some financial problems in my youth, I had sold my home theater gear and kept a hold of the Cambridge PSW-1 sub. I just couldn't bring myself to sell it. But needed more money. I decided to sell it to my younger brother. After a few years I wanted to buy it back, but he wouldn't sell it to me, he liked it too much. Hence, why I had to go shopping on ebay and craigslist.

Bottom line is that there are very few audio products that I would go out of my way to buy used which I think are as good or better than anything I could want to buy today. The Cambridge Soundworks PSW-1 is one of those audio products and incredibly, this subwoofer is still supported by CSW for repairs/refurbishment.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/20870332

that F12 sub from Tom's Warehouse cost way too much once you factor in shipping. Came out to $235 for me. You can get it directly from Amazon for $185 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F1...4376306&sr=8-1

Ah. I used google and it showed it as having free shipping. I didn't actually go thru the checkout to be sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.