AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a nice bookshelf pair of stereo speakers under $500. No other specific reqs, but I do want something with some style. I've looked at 25 different pairs, but I can't decide. So I need to real user info on what is a good pair that sounds nice and is a good value for the money.

Thank you!

·
Registered
29,304 Posts
What 25 pairs have you listened to? What receiver do you have? How big is your room.

You do know your ears are the best judge so if you've listened to 25 pairs you should be able to determine what you like about certain speakers.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry little misleading, by "looked" I meant online. I am not really an audiophile so I am really not picky. Last time I asked on the forum about iPad speakers and was recommended Audioengine 2 and I love them. So now I wanted recommendations for a pair for the living room. Amp will be am old Marantz SR-19. Thanks

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I really like the Energy RC-10 bookshelfs. They're on sale for $300/pair at Vanns and come with a 5 year warranty. They're laid back and musical. They play surprisingly low bass for a bookshelf speaker, but for complete depth add a sub and they sound AMAZING.

They're also very good-looking speakers

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic
I really like the Energy RC-10 bookshelfs. They're on sale for $300/pair at Vanns and come with a 5 year warranty. They're laid back and musical. They play surprisingly low bass for a bookshelf speaker, but for complete depth add a sub and they sound AMAZING.

They're also very good-looking speakers
I think these would an excellent choice as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Why not Atlantic Technology?

These made the frontpage last month at $259/$169. The codes now take more off.

Acoustic Sound Design [acousticsounddesign] has a couple of Atlantic Technology Speakers on sale. Shipping is free.

* Atlantic Technology 2400C Center Speaker [acousticsounddesign] $155

o use code 2400c

* Atlantic Technology 2400LR Front Channel Speakers (Pair) [acousticsounddesign] $244

o use code 2400lr

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
 These are on closeout. I had a pair for some time - sold them and now I'm thinking of buying another pair.

·
Registered
652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpr80 /forum/post/20875031

Looking for a nice bookshelf pair of stereo speakers under $500. No other specific reqs, but I do want something with some style. I've looked at 25 different pairs, but I can't decide. So I need to real user info on what is a good pair that sounds nice and is a good value for the money.

Thank you!

vpr80,

Your receiver has gobs of power, and a good reputation for a 7yr old model as far as surround processing/sound field imaging capabilities go.

If you have some flexibility on your credenza and can vary back and side clearances of your speakers, and properly position tweeters for listening positions, I think that you are likely to find some very enjoyable and attractive deals on primo grade sound on the used market locally. Check craigslist where you are (let me know your city if you like) and you'll often find 3 to 5yr old 12-1500pr/speakers in very nice shape for well under your budget.

All other things being equal, the better the speaker the better the chance that you'll get some "wow" results from your receiver/TV combo.

Just off the top of my head, I'd take a look for Paradigm Studio 20's, ver 4 or newer, especially if you are going to have some music from your receiver. Many attractive finishes, newer one's quite sexy in appearance. Very detailed and responsive. Only moderately demanding of clearances for best imaging. Stands may be a desired option for many of your best sounding speaker options. On the smaller sizes, to stay on bookshelf, take a look at SE 1 or 2 from Paradigm, same hq drivers in piano black cabinets but slightly less sexy shapes. First available in 2008 I think. To really save money, get some Atoms (ver 5 or newer) or Titans (6.5 woofer, not likely to ever need more bass for your application), again high quality build and excellent reputation for sound per $ spent. Pairs of either in desirable last 4 or 5 years of production would run in the 200 to 350 range. I think that they were available in 4 different finishes.

Or, there are plenty of other high quality brands and models available via local 2nd hand sources. I know a little about the Paradigms, and so only specifically mention those.

Some interesting takes of speakers audiophile value for $ is at:
http://hometheaterreview.com/the-10-...s-list---2009/

Raised my eyebrows. Also has link to everything you want to know about bookshelf speakers.

Good luck, have fun.

Mkard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.