AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this movie in the theater yesterday and loved it. I thought I would post about it here in order to find out what you among The Usual Suspects who have seen it thought, or at a minimum to share my impressions.

The movie stars two young pretty people, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel. You might think that it is a love story but we are told by a voice over in the first minute of the film that it is not a love story. Deschanel plays Summer, a cool but charming beauty who Gordon-Levitt's Tom falls for like a ton of bricks. Its hour and a half runtime are spent jumping back and forth among the 500 days of its protagonists' relationship. It is funny and often warm but there is something extra here. Call it cynicism or resignation or realism, whatever it is it is very smart and just works. Highly, highly recommended.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/16965461

I saw this movie in the theater yesterday and loved it. I thought I would post about it here in order to find out what you among The Usual Suspects who have seen it thought, or at a minimum to share my impressions.

The movie stars two young pretty people, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel. You might think that it is a love story but we are told by a voice over in the first minute of the film that it is not a love story. Deschanel plays Summer, a cool but charming beauty who Gordon-Levitt's Tom falls for like a ton of bricks. Its hour and a half runtime are spent jumping back and forth among the 500 days of its protagonists' relationship. It is funny and often warm but there is something extra here. Call it cynicism or resignation or realism, whatever it is it is very smart and just works. Highly, highly recommended.

Thanks gwsat. I really want to see this one and it's playing locally. I'll check it out one day next week.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/16966353

It looks good and I love indies. Reminds me of "August Rush", but somehow I gather it's nothing like it. I think Gordon-Levitt is also a great young actor. Can't wait to netflix it!

Gordon-Levitt's performance in this movie was the first I had seen and he impressed me. Nobody is better as a quirky charmperson than Zooey Deschanel but Gordon-Levitt's Tom matched her. I can't think of many other young actors who could have pulled that off. I also enjoyed Matthew Gray Gubler as one of Tom's weird friends. I have always enjoyed him in Criminal Minds, so the good job he did in this movie did not come as a surprise.

·
Banned
4,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/16966553

Gordon-Levitt's performance in this movie was the first I had seen and he impressed me. Nobody is better as a quirky charmperson than Zooey Deschanel but Gordon-Levitt's Tom matched her. I can't think of many other young actors who could have pulled that off. I also enjoyed Matthew Gray Gubler as one of Tom's weird friends. I have always enjoyed him in Criminal Minds, so the good job he did in this movie did not come as a surprise.

You never saw "Angels in the Outfield"?! lol.. He was good in Stop-Loss (too bad the movie sucked), and really good in The Lookout. Other notables include Killshot and Brick.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/16966593

You never saw "Angels in the Outfield"?! lol.. He was good in Stop-Loss (too bad the movie sucked), and really good in The Lookout. Other notables include Killshot and Brick.

I have never seen any of those films, which I suppose explains why I had never seen Joseph Gordon-Levitt in anything before (500) Days of Summer. Most of them were by all indications awful. Also, teenage angst movies make my eyes glaze over. It appears, though, that Stop Loss might be pretty good so I may check it out.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/16966593

I'd say he's most famous from 3rd Rock From the Sun

Also, he already has on screen time with Zooey on Manic (a very good indie film!)

500 Days of Summer looks really good!!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/16965461

Just returned from catching the matinée and I agree with your comments. I throughly enjoyed this movie and especially liked the ending! Soundtrack is awesome, BTW .

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss /forum/post/17022026

Just returned from catching the matinée and I agree with your comments. I throughly enjoyed this movie and really especially liked the ending! Soundtrack is awesome, BTW .

I thought that you might like it, too. Two of the last three movies I have seen in the theater were (500) Days of Summer and District 9. It's fair to say, I think, that I'm on a roll.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/17022237

I thought that you might like it, too. Two of the last three movies I have seen in the theater were (500) Days of Summer and District 9. It's fair to say, I think, that I'm on a roll.

I've liked the last three movies I've seen in the theater; "Orphan", "District 9" and "(500) Days of Summer".

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss /forum/post/17022286

I've liked the last three movies I've seen in the theater; "Orphan", "District 9" and "(500) Days of Summer".

We had been in what seemed to me to have been a rather long dry spell but lately, a bunch of good stuff has been released. In addition to District 9 and the other films we have mentioned, Ponyo, written and directed by the brilliant Hayao Miyazaki, looks very promising. I recently saw Miyazaki's Spirited Away, which may well be the best animated film ever made. So far none of Miyazaki's films are on BD. I hope that gets corrected soon.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/17025579

We had been in what seemed to me to have been a rather long dry spell but lately, a bunch of good stuff has been released. In addition to District 9 and the other films we have mentioned, Ponyo, written and directed by the brilliant Hayao Miyazaki, looks very promising. I recently saw Miyazaki's Spirited Away, which may well be the best animated film ever made. So far none of Miyazaki's films are on BD. I hope that gets corrected soon.

Funny you should mention " Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea" (Gake no ue no Ponyo) , I just ordered the Japanese version from YesAsia.com.

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT waste your money on the Americanized version of this wonderful film, here's one reason why: Ponyo - How to destroy a theme song (they even use auto-tuners and RAP!
).

And what's with the lyrics "Oh, he's my favorite little boy!" in the Americanized version???

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss /forum/post/17026357

Funny you should mention " Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea" (Gake no ue no Ponyo) , I just ordered the Japanese version from YesAsia.com.

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT waste your money on the Americanized version of this wonderful film, here's one reason why: Ponyo - How to destroy a theme song (they even use auto-tuners and RAP!
).

And what's with the lyrics "Oh, he's my favorite little boy!" in the Americanized version???

One of the things that impressed me most about the Spirited Away DVD was its wonderful English language cast, particularly Suzanne Pleshette as the two witches and the wonderful young actress, Daveigh Chase, as the little girl. The English language version of Ponyo looks promising to me. Its English language cast includes Cate Blanchett, Matt Damon, Tina Fey, Cloris Leachman, and Liam Neeson, among others. That's hardly chopped liver, music changes or no music changes. The critics apparently haven't been bothered by the changes either. Rotten Tomatoes reveals that 93% of the critics generally and 91% of the Top Critics gave Ponyo positive reviews. Thanks for the warning, though. Now I shall carefully avoid the original Japanese soundtrack in order to avoid learning what I had missed.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/17027112

One of the things that impressed me most about the Spirited Away DVD was its wonderful English language cast, particularly Suzanne Pleshette as the two witches and the wonderful young actress, Daveigh Chase, as the little girl. The English language version of Ponyo looks promising to me. Its English language cast includes Cate Blanchett, Matt Damon, Tina Fey, Cloris Leachman, and Liam Neeson, among others. That's hardly chopped liver, music changes or no music changes. The critics apparently haven't been bothered by the changes either. Rotten Tomatoes reveals that 93% of the critics generally and 91% of the Top Critics gave Ponyo positive reviews. Thanks for the warning, though. Now I shall carefully avoid the original Japanese soundtrack in order to avoid learning what I had missed.

I watched "Spirited Away" with the original language soundtrack and English subtitles (as I do all foreign movies) and have not heard the English dubbed version. I wouldn't mind seeing this again so I'll check it out with the English dubbed track. At least with an animated feature the dubbed tracks are not as annoying as non-animated features.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss /forum/post/17027323

I watched "Spirited Away" with the original language soundtrack and English subtitles (as I do all foreign movies) and have not heard the English dubbed version. I wouldn't mind seeing this again so I'll check it out with the English dubbed track. At least with an animated feature the dubbed tracks are not as annoying as non-animated features.

I will not watch a dubbed non-animated film. Period. I have never seen one that was not disappointing. My primary complaint about the dubbing of such films is that, more often than not, the English speakers are a bunch of no names who seem to be no names with good reason.
The main reason I was encouraged to watch the dubbed version of Spirited Away was my admiration of the talent of its English speaking cast. I was not disappointed. The sync of the voices and the mouths of the animated characters was just as good on the Spirited Away DVD as what I was accustomed to in U.S. made films. There is a very interesting short film on the DVD that describes how the English language version was made.

·
Registered
441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss /forum/post/17027323

I own Spirited Away as well as most of Miyazaki's films. I LOVE the Japanese soundtrack, but the main character's voice in the American dubbed version is far too whiny. It ruins the film for me. I know the character (at least initially) is supposed to be whiny and difficult, but I think they overdid it.

Same thing with Princess Mononoke - the Japanese voice actors are fantastic, while the American ones are good but NOT great.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc /forum/post/17029165

I own Spirited Away as well as most of Miyazaki's films. I LOVE the Japanese soundtrack, but the main character's voice in the American dubbed version is far too whiny. It ruins the film for me. I know the character (at least initially) is supposed to be whiny and difficult, but I think they overdid it.

Same thing with Princess Mononoke - the Japanese voice actors are fantastic, while the American ones are good but NOT great.

+1

I just tried to watch "Spirited Away" with the English dubbed track and couldn't get any further than the scene where Chihiro meets Yubaba. Not only did the voices not work for me the dubbed track changes the tone of the film (reminds me of the "Let the Right One In" subtitle changes except reversed).

Here are just a couple of examples:

The subtitles read: "Shut Up"

The dubbed version: "Don't say that"

-----

Subtitle: "Anyone can see you're a lazy, spoiled cry baby, stupid to boot."

Dubbed: "Anyone can see you're a lazy, spoiled cry baby and you have no manners."

-----------

Subtitle: "...or maybe you'd like the worst, nastiest job I've got"

Dubbed: "...or maybe I'll give you the most difficult job I've got".

-----------

Subtitle: "What! You still here, GET OUT!

Dubbed: "Why are you still here I told you to leave".

-----------

Disney completely sanitized the dubbed soundtrack.

I'm sure there's lots more but I could no longer take the dubbed track and switched it to the Japanese soundtrack.

I'm in agreement with gdc, the Japanese voice actors are fantastic.

After hearing how the title song to "Ponyo" was completely destroyed I have no doubt the samething will happen with the English dub soundtrack.

BTW, the Japanese disc doesn't even have an English dubbed track but it does have a Japanese DTS ES track.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc /forum/post/17029165

I agree that Chihiro, as played by the terrific young actress, Daveigh Chase, in the English language version of Spirited Away is difficult in the beginning but I thought nothing about her was "whiny." Chase has been terrific in the semi regular role of Rhonda Volmer on Big Love so I was not surprised by her spirited and moving, to me at least, performance as Chihiro. Apostasy though it may be, I can't imagine why anyone who doesn't speak Japanese would sentence himself to having to take his eyes away from Miyazaki's gorgeous images in order to read subtitles when the English alternative is this good.

Most of the English language reviews of Spirited Away that I read were as fond of the performances in the English language version as I was. For example the DVD Verdict review said this about that:
Quote:
In order to present Miyazaki's film to American audiences, Disney decided to make an even more thorough effort than with his last picture, Princess Mononoke (which featured an English script by Neil Gaiman). So they handed the project over to Pixar's John Lasseter, a longtime friend and fan of Miyazaki. He hired a strong voice cast and put veteran animation director Kirk Wise (Beauty and the Beast and Atlantis, which showed a marked Miyazaki influence) in charge of preparing them. The English dub, with Daveigh Chase as Chihiro, Jason Marsden as Haku, and Suzanne Pleshette as Yubaba and Zeniba, is quite successful.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/17030204

I agree that Chihiro, as played by the terrific young actress, Daveigh Chase, in the English language version of Spirited Away is difficult in the beginning but I thought nothing about her was "whiny." Chase has been terrific in the semi regular role of Rhonda Volmer on Big Love so I was not surprised by her spirited and moving, to me at least, performance as Chihiro. Apostasy though it may be, I can't imagine why anyone who doesn't speak Japanese would sentence himself to having to take his eyes away from Miyazaki's gorgeous images in order to read subtitles when the English alternative is this good.

Most of the English language reviews of Spirited Away that I read were as fond of the performances in the English language version as I was. For example the DVD Verdict review said this about that:

The English alternative is good but the original Japanese is great, thats why.

Reading subtitles has become second nature for me and very seldom distract me from what is happening on screen. The only times I've found subtitles to be distracting were when they were flashed to quickly on screen to read them completely and I have to reverse the film and pause it to read them.

It's a great movie regardless of your viewing preference; to each his own.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts