AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is in the market for a sub new or used. It will be used primarily for HT, but he wants something quick as well. His budget is $500 and hiw room is 15x18 with 9' ceilings. Are there any subs (12" or larger) on the market within $500 that incorporate servo technology? Do the velo DSP's have it?

If not, what are some other viable options. What about the M&K dual 12" sub. My concern is that it only has a 125W amp. I'm looking for a used SVS as well.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
There is a big difference between a digital amp that has signal processing features (like the velo dsp & dls) and a servo.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
There is a big difference between a digital amp that has signal processing features (like the velo dsp & dls) and a servo.
Can you elaborate a bit on this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just out of the budget, but if you're a really good friend :) , you can donate $100 or so and get a put-it-together servo kit from Rythmik Audio ( www.rythmikaudio.com ). The kit comes with enclosure, driver and amp. Ralph Calabria at Secrets of Home Theater... ( www.hometheaterhifi.com ) reviewed it last year, and it met with his approval. You can check out the DIY projects section there to see his review.

At least person on this board is using their product, and seems to like it a lot.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
do a search on this forum about servo, there are a few threads where Ed Mullen and Mark Seaton give a good succinct definition of servo, in the meantime here's my crappy, inaccurate version. In servo subs there is a sensor at the driver that compares the frequencies produced with the incoming signal. Any discrepancy between the sensor and incoming signal, is by definition distortion, and causes the sub to lower the output of the offending frequencies to limit distortion. This throttling back of the subs output is another form of distortion so it's not a free ride. Servo subs are popular because this form of output compression is more subtle and safer than bottoming out or clipping. It's a nice thing to have but it's not the end all feature and may be something that has to be sacrificed with a $500 budget.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the information thus far. very helpful. I'm thinking about an fsr velo or a used pci now. Maybe a hsu in the mix would be good as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.