AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doe we know if there's a hardware difference between the 5000 series and 5500 series?

·
Registered
156 Posts
The hardware is the same, essentially. I think they made a modification to the cooling fan and they have rev'ed the motherboard.

The main difference is no Commercial Advance or Internet Video Sharing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Judge
I think they made a modification to the cooling fan and they have rev'ed the motherboard.
I don't know about the motherboard, but the cooling fan change happened in newer 5000 models, so that's not really a difference between the 5000 and the 5500.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
We don't know the details of the fan, exactly. It may not even be a mobo change, but off-board controlling circuitry (a thermistor was mentioned).

In any case, AFAIK, all the changes to the 5500 unit are in the software, and the minor remote change to eliminate the ACA button.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it safe to say that 5000's should be able to do everything 5500's can do without it's limitiations (IVS and CA)?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChampaignWalt
Is it safe to say that 5000's should be able to do everything 5500's can do without it's limitiations (IVS and CA)?
Yes. As far as we know.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
It's really the other way around.... the 5500s do everything the 5000s can do except for IVS and ACA.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
It's really the other way around.... the 5500s do everything the 5000s can do except for IVS and ACA.
I think he's asking if there are any other features in the 5500s that aren't in the 5000. Its a logical question, cause typically when you encrease the model number like DNNA has (and every other replay series as well) it means some kind of significant change that isn't *just* removing features.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rherbert

The only thing that I'm aware of is that the CommercialAdvance button on the remote is blank: Remote Image
Actually, they turned it into an "input" button.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
There are some new features (from what ReplayRichard said here) coming in the new software, but the 5500s and 5000s will both get those, of course. The 5500 is really the first version that DNNA did 'from the ground up. You could expect new features for a 5500, but really in the past I believe new features were for a 'major' platform (4xxx vs 5xxx). I could be wrong, but I don't recall new features 'within' major levels.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My question is this....are the hardware differences between the 5500's and 5000's such that the 5500's will be able to do things that the 5000's are (hardware-wise) incapable of doing? If the the machines are more or less the same machine when it comes to hardware, then why would anyone buy a 5500? The 5500 lacks two features the 5000 has, and after 3 years you have to pay for service.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChampaignWalt
My question is this....are the hardware differences between the 5500's and 5000's such that the 5500's will be able to do things that the 5000's are (hardware-wise) incapable of doing? If the the machines are more or less the same machine when it comes to hardware, then why would anyone buy a 5500? The 5500 lacks two features the 5000 has, and after 3 years you have to pay for service.
Because they won't be selling the 5000's new for much longer. You won't be able to buy anything but a 5500 soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.