Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have a $20,000 budget for a HT equipment bonanza, and I've yet to decide on speakers. I originally thought about Magneplanars, and they were great when I demoed them. But they were missing a certain... ooph!

So, I read all I could about the Gallo Reference 3, and got very excited. I then calmed down, as I'm using the room (which is reasonably big -- around 28x15 ish and oddly shaped!) for 50/50 HT/Music.

I'm planning on nabbing the Arcam AVP700 + P1000 for a test to power my speakers.

But I wanted to ask the exalted crew here what I should try them out with.

So, how much do you think I should budget for speakers on this 7.1 system?

What should I pair with the Reference 3s for HT?

What other speakers should I spend days reading up on instead of working?

Your help and comments are, as always, invaluable!!

Cheers

S

·
Registered
509 Posts
I vote for the Paradigm Studio's

Studio 100 v.3 $2300/pr

CC-570 $850

ADP-470 $970/pr

Servo-15 $1600

Keep in mind that these are retial prices and the markup is huge! You can buy them for 25% less without any problems.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
for a $20000 budget i would spend more than $10000 on speakers and sub

where is mikedude? he will suggest the new focal jm lab profile series or the electra be series

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
yup, you gotta nail the $$ allocation before you buy stuff.

could you please share what else you're planning to buy for your HT??

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
am not sure if you can keep the pre/pro when blu ray and hd dvd come out

but you can keep the speakers, sub and power amps

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Here's the short list of speakers I was able to demo locally that I found very favorable...

Salk Sound Veracity HT1's

Energy Veritas-i's 2.4

Martin Logan Ascent i

I demo'ed others that weren't bad but why waste time with 'not bad'? :)

I agree with the others to see what else you were planning on spending the 20K on... seats, projector, amps? Inquiring minds want to know. ^_^

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
$20k for HT equipment says to me it doesn't include furniture, room treatments etc.

So I guess if we say he wants the whole shebang, he'd need:

Display device (and in the case of FP, a screen to go with it).

Sources

Processing

Amplification

Speakers

and some not so serious $ on cabling.

If it were me (and remember this is if it were me), $20k would go something like $5k (4.5k PJ and 500k max for screen, prolly do it myself with some Goo) for display, $5k max for source, processing, amplification (the bulk), cabling (with BR and HD-DVD coming around the corner, I'd hold off on any purchase of external scalers and image processors until I'm sure they will work with HDCP) and the remaining 10k for speakers, say with 10k worth of speakers at least 2k worth of sub for HT.

If I had 20k to spend on HT though I'd seriously look towards room treatments, whether that comes out of the 20k budget or goes beyond is a different matter altogether.

Then again, I'm more likely to want to learn all about making stuff myself and going active crossovers on all speakers. DIY speakers and DIY amplification and crossover, then DIY screen and DIY source (i.e. HTPC and media server and wifi GUI based remote and HT automation), the display device I don't think is worthwhile DIY. If HTPC become too inconvenient for use as a BR/HD-DVD playback source and I can't use fancy soundcards to output the audio to amplification, then I would think about not using the HTPC altogether or not supporting BR/HD-DVD altogether. And I'll stop my rant for now. :)

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your responses, I really appreciate them, and I'll read up on all your thoughts.

Sorry for my vagueness! Here's where the money's going!

The room itself is a separate budget. So this $20K covers all equipment. Here's what I'm currently pondering (and boy have I got some options since I started reading here!):

1. A projector. A kind fellow pointed me in the direction of the new OPtima H78.

2. A screen. After reading the cranium-exploding thread on 2.35.1 screen ratios, I'm attempting to find a static screen with motorized sides, plus a lens to activate this mode.

3. An Arcam Pre/Pow set up. Perhaps the AVP700 and the P1000. Getting rather excited about these, actually!

4. Subwoofer: A Hsu perhaps?

5. Video signal up-converter... a DVDO if I need one. Not sure I do.

6. DVD/CD player. I WAS going for a Denon 3910 with an Underwood mod, but here's the rub: I need it to be region free due to a giant collection of British DVDs. No clue, now!

7. Cables. Bluejeans for video, and perhaps anti-cables for audio.

8. Power Conditioner. Probably something in the $500 range.

9. Remote. Either a Pronto or... something!

10. Digital whole house music from Sonos later on! When the bank balance recovers!

11. Video game consoles. Xbox debug, Xbox 360 debug, PS2 Test, PS3, GameCube. All component/HDMI.

THe good news is that am I soundproofing the room (especially as it's now a collection of rocks under my house currently!), and that's in a different budget.

Let me know what you think of this set-up. I'll trek to the other parts of the forum once I've figured out what speakers to fire up!

Cheers everyone, and thanks again.

Sothoth

·
Registered
689 Posts
Denon 3910 is a good choice all around but don't bother with the expensive Underwood mod. My dad had the full blown mod done and we compared it to my off the rack 3910. A little bloomier, warmer, maybe a bit more snap in the lower register- but save the $3-4,000. Let's face it, Blu-Ray/HD-DVD is literally around the corner and you WILL want to switch that 3910 out within 6 months. Much harder to do with old technology when it is expensively modded. As far as region free goes, you can buy one already modded (they are even on sale until this Sunday) at http://www.220-electronics.com/

Speakers - go with the Logans all around. No question here. Dollar for dollar they are simply the best value for the money and the electrostatic panels are just way more holographic and transparent than most traditional drivers. Buy a brand new top-shelf pair for left and right channels and hunt down the other channels used on Audiogon or right here on the forum. You can save a fortune that way and conserve more budget for a better projector.

Finally, I personally like the Anthem D1 Statement for a pre/pro. It has a built in upsampling convertor using Twin Motorolas that up and oversample everything you throw at them. It sounds great and would even take the sound of your 3910 to another level without adding a D/A convertor into the mix. Check this one out....you may also even want to consider pairing it with one or two of their amps. Good value all around without the insane price tag.

Good luck and enjoy the new theatre YOU LUCKY DOG!

Russ

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I agree with cpu. With a $20,000 budget, spending $10,000 on speakers would really open the door. With $10,000 you could get a pair of 1027's for 3995.00. A profile center may work in there as well. Or Try to find a cc-901. Either way, should not be more than $1500. A pair of profile surrounds. Don't know the price but they may be around $1200. That would total $6695. For sub, many options. You could look at trying to get 2 SW900's if they are still available in store. They were $2000 retail. Or if you want to stay with JM and maybe push the budget a bit, get the Utopia Be sub. Retails for $6000. Or you could look at the ACI Maestro or SVS Ultra/2. I think they are below $2500. So you could get 2 of them and stay just above $10,000

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.