AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a JVC DVHS DSR100U. It has a high-speed data port in back. I think the model was released about 6 months after the Model 5000. Whenever I call Dishnetwork, they call it a 5000, and it has the same features as a 5000, with AC-3. Removing the cover on the data port, I have a PCI connector "golden fingers" edge. I called Dishnetwork, they cannot verify (won't support) the 5000 modulator on it, but my guess is, if the slot is the same as a 5000, it will work. Has anyone tried this? Next question for anyone with a 5000 modulator --

Does it feed ALL Dish signals out the modulator, so assuming you had a HiPix, would the HiPix play all Dish channels????

·
Registered
342 Posts
The modulator does NOT pass all channels--only those with HD information, or with Dolby 5.1 information.

------------------

Stan Z

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'd just like to bump this one up. Apparantly, it has been confirmed that the modulator does indeed modulate Dish's pseudo-SD channels. That's nice and all, but the original question still remains: does the Dish 5000 modulator work with the JVC HM-DSR100U, a Dish Network receiver which, for all intents and purposes, is a Dish 5000 with an integrated DVHS deck? It has the same high-speed data port, but it does run different firmware, and therefore probably (intentionally) doesn't support it. However, I'm just curious to see if anyone's actually tried it, and if so, what results they obtained? Complete failure? Pass-through of signal from the dish/OTA? From a recorded program on a DVHS tape? Recording HDTV TO a DVHS tape?

If anyone can confirm that the modulator at least works for passing through signal, I'll immediately jump to get one, but any word either way is very appreciated.

TIA.

-----

EDIT: Sorry, I missed this thread in my original search;
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/012903.html

This thread suggests that it does not function at all. However, it is not exactly confirmed. If anyone is aware of any official reports on the topic, please link them.

TIA.

[This message has been edited by Moorebid (edited 05-16-2001).]

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Moorebid:
I'd just like to bump this one up. Apparantly, it has been confirmed that the modulator does indeed modulate Dish's pseudo-SD channels. ]
The only SD channels that the modulator will output are those with Dolby Digital sound.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A number of months ago on a Charlie Chat and repeated on a Technical Chat, it was stated that the JVC DVHS will NOT support the 5000 Modulator. I too have a JVC DVHS and love it but was disappointed by those announcements. I have since bought a 6000 and am enjoying HDTV and using the JVC as my second DISH receiver. Again, the 5000 Modulator will NOT work with the JVC DVHS!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have tried an HD modulator with my JVC DVHS and it did not work. The receiver does not recognize the addition of the modulator and the DVHS Dish Network software does not support addition of the HD channels. In short, you can plug the modulator into the DVHS machine but nothing happens. I sold my modulator to another forum member and bought a 6000.

--- Chris

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
The old Dish/JVC DVHS is a 14mbs data recorder designed to record the DBS bit stream. This is not the same as the ATSC bit stream used in digital and HDTV. For one thing, the old DVHS is not fast enough to record the 19.4mbs HDTV stream.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.