AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two replaytv 5000's acted up on me recently. One with the "No Signal Detected" message when tuning channels despite swapping every major component with known good parts. The other output pizilated live video, yet streamed video played fine. In both cases replacing the power supply to motherboard power lead solved the problem. Possibly what damages the connector is tugging the wires to break it free. It's wiser to remove it by grabbing the white plastic.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I'm currently formatting a WD 80gb drive for an upgrade. When I put everything back later tonight I'll be sure to check the power connector.

BTW, I have having the same problems you were having. But I always wanted to try putting in a bigger harddrive, so tonight I'm upgrading to see if those problems will go away.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
hmm.. make sure you have the latest software downloaded from the ReplayTV server for one.. (a way to avoid one stupid possible problem).

another stupid possibility: Do you use many spliters? are some of the unused splitter 'Outs' unterminated (no little screw on caps)?

Forgive me if this has all been discussed in another thread. I may have skim read that day.

·
Registered
47 Posts
check the the two orange wires is the white plastic burnt there? and the pins darkened? that's where my touble lies on those two pins. i believe others have mentioned this also in the pixilating thread

·
Registered
216 Posts
I thought about the same thing, I was going ask if Comcast can give me a signal boost. I have a big splitter, about 8 terminals, 2 unused (opened). All my TV in the house look fine, even my 2nd RTV in the basement. Do you suggest I get a smaller splitter?

What can I do with the orange wire? Wiggle it or push it in more? It feels pretty tight right now.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Try temporarily replacing the splitter with one of these:
http://www.ggvideo.com/connector_fbarrel.jpg

See if direct signal clears up the problem. See if direct signal improves your picture at other TVs too. If it does consider a booster.

Look at your splitter to see if it's 'balanced'. If it is balanced each OUT will output the same level of decibles. If it's not balance, use a higher decible OUT for the longer run to the basement. In short, think about the decible distribution.

You may even try using tghe problemed one in the basement. Sometimes replaytv tuners are finicky about having too strong of signal. I doubt this is the problem given you are using thaqt 8 way splitter.

Put little terminators on the two free ends of the 8 way splitter, or get a smaller splitter. Or use an unbalanced 4-way splitter and use a second splitter down the road (comming off the strong OUT)

Ask around for names of good power boosters if it comes to using one. They aren't all made alike.

Consider a 1 IN--->Multiple OUT booster too. Something like this:
http://www.mjsales.net/images/eda2400but.jpg

At least terminate those loose OUTs. signal bounces back and forth over and over when they aren't capped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.