AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of upgrading from a 3060 to 5040. I would like to know if the replay 50xx will pass-though the cable sign when the replay is off and may or may not be recording something? So I can still watch tv using the TV tuner or do I need to add a cable loop around the replay. (i.e. connect my cox Cable directly to the cox in on the replay and the cox out to my tv). Most VCR will work like this.

Like this

------CableCox In-----|replaytv|--------|TV|

or do I need to add a loop when I want to bypass Replay

------CableCox In-----|replaytv|--------|TV|

| |

|_______________|

Quentin

·
Registered
286 Posts
U must go round the RTV. When it is off nothing comes out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just called SonicBlue and they said the 5000 does do pass-though when it is off!! So what is the right answer.

Quentin

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think someone is getting confused with passthrough and bypass.. the 4000 series have a bypass feature which basically sends a direct feed with no mpeg compression.. passthrough would be on the antenna only.. meaning if the RPTV is turned off, the cable out is unchanged from the cable in...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think the 5000 works the same as the 4000 series. I don't have it hooked up this way, but I think the pass through works when you are using RF in and RF out only (just like a VCR).

It would be too strange to pass through any signal through the other video outputs when the unit is 'off' (I really wish they would just call it standby).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.