AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the "One For All" remote with a 5000 unit? I see them for sale on eBay. It says they're hacked for Replay 5000's and I'm curious as to how well they work.

The remote that comes with a 5000 is too scaled back. I miss all the buttons/features found on the remotes for 4000's and 2000's. Just wondering ...

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I'm not sure what you're asking exactly. A 5000 unit is no different to any other Replay unit as far as using a universal remote control goes. You'd have to provide a link to a specific auction for me to be able to comment on what the seller claims to have done, but basically, most One For All and Radio Shack remotes are upgradeable using JP1, which means the seller has probably added a new code for Replay that includes all the regular functions, plus a few that I put in there like "3 minute skip". If any functions are missing, you can re-create them using advanced codes.

Just FYI, you don't need a hacked remote to work Replay as you can fill in the blanks (as far as missing buttons are concerned) with almost any OFA or RS remote by using advanced codes.

Also, just FYI, using JP1 you can convert the 5000 remote into a 12 device universal remote with macro ability.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Rob. Here's the one I saw on eBay.

What I'd really like to do, is program a spare remote that I have from a 2000 so that it will opperate a 5000.

My biggest gripe is that there's no "Input" button on the 5000 remote!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
This seems a bit expensive. I use Radio Shack's 15-2104 remote. This remote has just been discontinued and is available for $9.97. I just got a second one at that price. This remote has a jp1 connector and I have programmed it to work with my 5040. If you get one and want the config file I would be glad to share it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yep, I just programmed some more new stuff on my replay 5k remote with jp1. Totally cool. It does all the controls of my sytem (Receiver switching, dvd player control, vcr, etc) and of course all the replay stuff perfectly. It's just a beautiful. Plus I have it programmed to turn on the replay, the tv, and the reciever discretely, and then set the inputs for each all with the touch of one button. Another two button presses (Shift 1) switches everything to DVD mode, and all the other things are setup likewise. It's great! It makes it very logical. Hard to believe a basic remote tossed into an AV unit could hold so much power! Thanks to the folks who reverse engineered this stuff, we can play around with them, and create the perfect remote for our needs, for a very minimal cost. It's just too cool.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
For those of you who have jp1'd the 5000 remote, where is the 'shift' key. I'm staring at a jpg for the 5000 remote and I don't see it. What's the trick?

Also, what button do you guys use for 3 minute skip -- have you sacrificed the mute button?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Is shift the TV plus Mute buttons together? Or do you remap the shift via jp1 to another button? And if so, what button do you sacrifice?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The remote that came with my 5040 does not look like it could possibly be jp1'd to do all this. Is there a link to a picture of the 5XXX remote so I can see if I got the shaft?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by randy noel
The remote that came with my 5040 does not look like it could possibly be jp1'd to do all this. Is there a link to a picture of the 5XXX remote so I can see if I got the shaft?
I attach a jpg of the 5000 remote. I'm not sure why you say that it doesn't look like it could do all that. If you use the shift key (see my prior post -- I suspect people remap the mute+tv button combo to a single key like the mute when they jp1 it, but I'll check for sure tonight when I have access to the yahoo jp1 group), you could for example (1) have the replay button be a macro that turns your receiver and monitor on, switches both of them to your replay input and leaves the remote in 'replay mode', (2) have the tv button swith the receiver and monitor on, switch the inputs to a second cable box for direct tv rather than replay viewing and leave the replay in cable box mode, (3) have the shift-1 button turn on the dvd player, the receiver and the monitor, switch the inputs to the dvd inputs and leave the remote in dvd player mode, (4) have the shift-2 button do the same thing for your vcr, etc. And, whatever keys you don't like in the layout you can remap to your heart's content. People have done that for as many as 12 separate devices.

Personally, I prefer a remote with more hard buttons (e.g. the radio shack 15- 2116), but lots of people swear by the jp1'd 5000 as a great solution.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the picture. It's amazing what can be done with jp1! I'm still trying to wade through the jp1 info. Got my cable, and a 15-2116, so I'll keep plugging away at figuring it all out. I think the 2116 will be a bit more family-friendly if I ever get it programmed (my Sherwood Newcastle receiver isn't supported, so it may take a while). I may play with the Replay remote later just for fun.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
For those of you who have jp1'd the 5000 remote, where is the 'shift' key. I'm staring at a jpg for the 5000 remote and I don't see it. What's the trick?
As I couldn't remember how Hal set this up, I just downloaded the R5k extender from the JP1 file section so I could check what the readme states.

There is a section entitled "Shifted Keys" and the first item in that section states...

Pressing the TV key causes the next key to be "shifted".

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by randy noel
...I think the 2116 will be a bit more family-friendly if I ever get it programmed (my Sherwood Newcastle receiver isn't supported, so it may take a while). I may play with the Replay remote later just for fun.
Yep, I suspect the 2116 will serve you better. By the way, I think the secret for setting up family friendly jp1 remotes is a good labelmaker that can professionally re-label the buttons so people know what they do in the hacked mode. Make sure you do that step as well.

FWIW, I use a Brothers PTouch labelmaker. At first I used it on my 15-1994s with black tape and gold letters, and the result was almost indistinguishable from the native labeling since the remote's labels are also black with gold lettering. But I then realized that the original lettering as well as the new labels were hard for me and my wife to read -- we wanted something that stood out more (for our forty-something year old eyes), so now I use white tape with black lettering which is much easier to read even though it's obvious that the labels are not the original remote labels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The Robman
As I couldn't remember how Hal set this up, ...

Pressing the TV key causes the next key to be "shifted".
Yup, the TV button works as the Shift key, and Shift-[digit] work as the device buttons in the default settings. (Actually, this is what Rob originally suggested.) You can change all these in whetever the way you like it. Not really other practical choices for the Shift key, though.

Just FYI to the people who are not familiar with JP1 (so, Alan wouldn't need this) - I recently put together a getting started guide to programming the R5K remotes (in the JP1 group - the Help Documents folder in the files section.)

Hal

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The Robman
As I couldn't remember how Hal set this up, I just downloaded the R5k extender from the JP1 file section so I could check what the readme states...Pressing the TV key causes the next key to be "shifted".
Thanks, Rob. I would have checked this tonight but you saved me the effort. Interesting that they decided to move the shift to the TV button. It's actually a really good idea so that you don't need to sacrifice any of the real function buttons.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, the R5k remote extender was my first time working with any of this JP1 craziness. The extender was brand new, and beta at the time. But very stable, and worked great. It took a good couple days just to understand the flow of control, but once you get your first code to work, you're hooked. And the fast macros alone make these extenders absolutely amazing, but they go WAY beyond that. Fast macros, by the way, are just that. FAST. A normal universal remote will take a few seconds to do a 3 or 4 step command. The fast macros do it in literally less than a second. It makes a HUGE difference in usability.

I think the hardest part to figure out was the interconnection between getting the codes, putting them in KM, and then into IR. It's three or so programs that need to work together, and it takes a bit to understand what parts need what information, as KM can do a LOT more than we need it to. I think the most important thing to know is that all you really want to use KM for is specifying the kind of remote, the code number, the code type (sony, etc) and then entering in all the codes (for each command). That's really all that should need to be done. You could move around some keys a bit, but other than that, the macros, and keymoves, and everything else will be done in IR. At least for the r5k remote. The macros are done there, as are the device specific macros. But again, all of this just takes some getting used to. You really just have to sit down for an afternoon with the remote hooked up, and the software running. Play around and try and get it working. It's really not THAT hard, it's just quite a lot of confusing things thrown at you at once. Sort of comparative to just suddenly deciding to jump into using linux. It's just a whole lot of basic stuff to get figured out, and then it all makes sense. I can't stress enough how much it's worth it.

And I really like the r5k remote. I am interested in trying out the 2116 remote, but I guess in the quest for simplicity for the most used portion of my system (the replay) I figured I'd use the remote that was built for it. The preset locations of all the quickskip and replay buttons are pretty awesome. So I just keep them. Plus it's family friendly for the basics. It's one button to turn on the whole system and set it up to run the replay. And then the remote acts naturally (except I removed the display button, as pressing "select" always does the same thing, and then I could place a universal macro on that button to change my TV's display mode) Of course the replay and TV buttons act a bit different, but much preferably, I feel. Can't beat it!

Hal's written a kick ass extender, and I couldn't think of anything that I would want it to do that it cannot already do. It's that feature complete. An endlessly reconfigurable universal remote for $20 for a cable and a lazy weekend worth of time seems like a damn good deal to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am trying to reprogram a Replay 5000 remote so it is set for unit ID 2

I currently have a Showstopper in the same room and of course they conflict.

I made a jp1 cable and it seems to work. I honestly am at a loss as where to go from here. I downloaded the keymap-master-v7.37.xls Spreadsheet

and IR312-d2 program. My remote is the one picture a few messages back

Inside the battery cover it says URC-4640B01

I feel like an idiot tonight. Can Someone walk me through this? At this point I just want to reprogram it has the new unit id 2 In the future I will look at having it control the stereo for volume.

I am hoping it will make sense to me by then.

Frank

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.