AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I've done a search of the forums and found several posts on Audio "Hiss" problems with various 5000 series models. What I have not found is any solution or answer to what the problem is, or if anyone has had this resolved (return/repair/exchange etc.).

My 5160 which I've now setup as my primary Replay (replacing my 4508 which is now in another room) does in fact have a low level "hiss" which comes through on my receiver when using the digital optical out. This is audible on both recorded and live TV.

Unfortunately, since I was not using the 5160 regularly I've only just noticed it now (not that I could have done much anyway-this was a "final sale" from the Wiz stores in NY). The unit has cable TV connected directly to it (no cable box) and the optical cable connected to the receiver. This is the same exact connection used for the 4508 model, and I had no such "noise" with it (the 4508).

I've tried a different optical cable, cleaning all contacts (canned air), etc. but the problem still persists.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
915 Posts
TMO,

Can you email me your serial # and software version? I'll log a bug with the engineering team and see what they have to say about it.

Lyndon

·
Registered
167 Posts
My 4504 has had the same problem. Optical out to my receivier creates this nice buzz/hiss sound that will drive you up a wall. I reverted back to RCA audio...

Funny, I posted on this subject about 3 motnhs ago and no one else paid much mind. Thank you ReplayLyndon for coming to the rescue on this topic.

·
Registered
167 Posts
That wasn't a shot at you Lyndon. It was a "general" shot that whenever someone has an honest tech question, it gets ignored. It's always the "my cat barfed again" or "I think I saw a software update but maybe my dog farted" that gets the responses. Sometimes you'd swear we were on a gossip/soap opera forum or something.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sgmonroe
It was a "general" shot that whenever someone has an honest tech question, it gets ignored.
If someone stated a more "general", yet more innacurate, shot about this forum, it escapes me. If you had bothered to cursorily scan any one day's posts you would have found countless instances of helpful advice. Sometimes questions do get unanswered, and that is usually due to either of two factors: no one who has read the post has an answer, or the question was phrased in such a way that the reader can't figure out what is exactly being asked. Yet we have, on a recurring basis, questioners who take umbrage at not having an answer within minutes of their posting a question as well as those who, when the answer is not what they were hoping for, keep restating the question in search of an answer more to their liking. Just which of the above categories do you fit into?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Bump

Any news on this? (Obviously not)

A day after cracking the warranty sticker...

I notice my refurb has a hiss. at first I thought it was just channel 6. because that's the only channel I can hear it on, using the bedroom tv. but I just checked out a recording using dvarchive from another channel, and the hiss is still present, albeit less annoying. This unit is using coax in, no cable box, with an fm trap (channel six was unable to tune prior to fm trap), and rca to tv.

My primary RTV box exhibits no hiss. coax in, again, no stb, digital optical out to receiver.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yeah, I get the "hiss" too.

Wall -> ReplayTV 5040 -> TV (coax cable all the way, no cable box)

It gets to the point that I'll turn off the Replay if I'm not actively watching something.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
It's the Tivo collective consciousness coming through :D

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I'm bumping this back up.

I asked this question a while back and got no response, but it's obviously an issue.

Any info on this ReplayLyndon?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've got this problem on one of my v5.0 build 75 5040s using ANT IN. So far I notice it most on the local PBS station. My second 5040 doesn't record anything on that channel but I'll set up a test recording to see if it's got the hiss problem as well.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Oh man... antenna noise.... sweet.... seems like people with the problem are using coax in.

Any of you care to try a test? Hook up a dvd player to the input 1 or 2 and try and see what happens? I'm curious if it's an input or output stage problem.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm another one. I get hiss as well. I was just about to ask when I saw this thread.

I have coax going straight into the 5040, no cable box. No such problem with the Showstopper. Man, those units were tough little guys!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Same problem here. 5060 unit using software version 5.0 build 75. Using coax in from digital cable box, RCA out to receiver.

Anyone with this problem not using coax in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had my 5040 since late May and after the 5.0 upgrade I also have the 'hiss' problem, using coax in and RCA or Optical out.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.